Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nightmare Alley remake headed into production

LawrenceA

Rumored for the past several years, director Guillermo Del Toro's remake of the 1947 Tyrone Power film Nightmare Alley is finally moving forward, with cast announcements made. The new version will star Bradley Cooper, and he'll be joined by Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Richard Jenkins, Ron Perlman, Willem Dafoe, Rooney Mara, and Michael Shannon. The film is eyeing a late 2020 release.

• Thanks 1

That's a switch. A few months ago, it was said that Leonardo DiCaprio had the old Tyrone Power part. Huh. Hence that's what I had put down when I did the upcoming part of the last Fox photo scrapbook.

Taking a stab in the dark here about the other players: Blanchett will be the phony psychiatrist (the Helen Walker part), Toni Collette will be the aging medium (Joan Blondell), Rooney Mara the love interest (Coleen Gray).

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Rumored for the past several years, director Guillermo Del Toro's remake of the 1947 Tyrone Power film Nightmare Alley is finally moving forward, with cast announcements made. The new version will star Bradley Cooper, and he'll be joined by Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Richard Jenkins, Ron Perlman, Willem Dafoe, Rooney Mara, and Michael Shannon. The film is eyeing a late 2020 release.

To me a carnival setting would be very dated.   Are there still any carnivals that have the hooky acts like mind-reading etc....(that are not done strictly as camp).   The only event in my area that is somewhat like a carnival is the county-fair and most of the acts involve cultural entertainment \ activities (e.g. Chinese dancers and acrobats, Irish music and dancing,  etc...).    

I would change the setting to a traveling new-age wellness company.     The type that sell crystals and other junk and techniques and methods used to improve physical and mental wellness (for the suckers of course!).    A gold mine of scams in the waiting. 

• Like 1

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

To me a carnival setting would be very dated.   Are there still any carnivals that have the hooky acts like mind-reading etc....(that are not done strictly as camp).   The only event in my area that is somewhat like a carnival is the county-fair and most of the acts involve cultural entertainment \ activities (e.g. Chinese dancers and acrobats, Irish music and dancing,  etc...).    

I would change the setting to a traveling new-age wellness company.     The type that sell crystals and other junk and techniques and methods used to improve physical and mental wellness (for the suckers of course!).    A gold mine of scams in the waiting. 

I'm not certain, but I believe the film will be a period piece set in decades past.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Sounds first class. That is one remake I might see. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thanks for the info.  RICHARD JENKINS is one of my favorite current character actors, so I'm wondering which role he'll take on.  Gonna have to look this up.

Sepiatone

Just a guess here Sepia, but I'll bet Jenkins is picked to play the role of the wealthy Ezra Grindle character which actor Taylor Holmes played in the original.

And another guess would be that Willem Dafoe is picked to play the role of the drunkard Pete Krumbein character which actor Ian Keith so expertly and so memorably portrayed in the original.

(...we'll see I guess) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Is it a remake or the film? Or is de Toro adapting the original source material?

My guess is that it will be much the same as the original, only with a heightened level of visceral scares, more blood, will probably restore some of the story elements they could not film back in 1947, and the ending won't have that slight note of hope that was tacked on by Fox executives back then.

If the new version is closer to the novel than the 1947 film, that Stan Carlisle is far more of a contemptible swine than he was in the movie, ready to have Molly (whom he seduces then cold bloodedly uses) prostitute herself to the Ezra Grindle character in his spook racket scam of him. Among other things he also kills a cop, albeit in self defence. In the novel, not surprisingly, Stan falls far lower than he did in the film.

Just now, TomJH said:

If the new version is closer to the novel than the 1947 film, that Stan Carlisle is far more of a contemptible swine than he was in the movie, ready to have Molly (whom he seduces then cold bloodedly uses) prostitute herself to the Ezra Grindle character in his spook racket scam of him. Among other things he also kills a cop, albeit in self defence. In the novel, not surprisingly, Stan falls far lower than he did in the film.

Not to mention, as Eddie Muller explained in his outro a few months ago, Molly does not came back again at the end of the novel.

Yep, I'll bet both Tom's and CI's guesses here will turn out to be the case with this remake.

And now, one OTHER guess I'd like to make about this coming film would be the following:

In today's movies that include so much rampant "product placement" within them, I'll bet the following will somehow be shown somewhere in this remake...

...wait for it...

...THIS...

GeekOutBox366px.jpg

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

My guess is that it will be much the same as the original, only with a heightened level of visceral scares, more blood, will probably restore some of the story elements they could not film back in 1947, and the ending won't have that slight note of hope that was tacked on by Fox executives back then.

And the language will probably be saltier too.  ;)  

I've never read the book, but DID know a few "carnies" back in the day, and they weren't exactly known for their  sterling characters and piety.  You'd have to go to great lengths to besmirch their qualities.  B)

Sepiatone

23 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And the language will probably be saltier too.  ;)  

I've never read the book, but DID know a few "carnies" back in the day, and they weren't exactly known for their  sterling characters and piety.  You'd have to go to great lengths to besmirch their qualities.  B)

Sepiatone

A few times I've gone to one of those small ride shows that travel from plaza to plaza in the sticks and set up camp there for a week or two before moving on. They might have a small ferris wheel for the kids, a merry-go-round, a throw-the-ring-on-a-bottle setup, etc. There are no girlie acts or fat lady tents, but I guess these attractions are the closest we have to carnies today.

The workers who set up and run the attractions must live a rather migratory existence during their months of employment, merely travelling between some plazas in the suburbs. Anyway I noticed that the workers are a pretty hardened, tough looking collection, many of them with tattoos up and down their arms and legs, among other places. I assume that many of these guys will be drinking (heavily) in their off hours and possibly indulging in drugs, as well.

One time, just for a laugh, I called out loudly, "POLICE!!!" and watched three of these workers dive under a wagon.

Okay, okay, I made that bit up about calling out "Police" but I've often thought of doing that just to see what kind of reaction there might be from these workers.

Well,TOM---

"Carnies do differ a bit from the guys who travel around setting up carnival rides in parks and parking lots and such.  I've known a few of them too.  And generally, I wouldn't trust them to competently pour a glass of iced tea, and yet they're assembling the rides people actually let their children ride!  :o

For that reason my kids never went to any of those parking lot carnivals( their Mother and I, both knowing those same guys, refused to take 'em)  until they were in their teens and they'd go with their friends or boyfriends.  Their Mother and I would wait until mid summer and take them to CEDAR POINT whenever I was on "changeover" from work. 

Sepiatone

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

A few times I've gone to one of those small ride shows that travel from plaza to plaza in the sticks and set up camp there for a week or two before moving on. They might have a small ferris wheel for the kids, a merry-go-round, a throw-the-ring-on-a-bottle setup, etc. There are no girlie acts or fat lady tents, but I guess these attractions are the closest we have to carnies today.

The workers who set up and run the attractions must live a rather migratory existence during their months of employment, merely travelling between some plazas in the suburbs. Anyway I noticed that the workers are a pretty hardened, tough looking collection, many of them with tattoos up and down their arms and legs, among other places. I assume that many of these guys will be drinking (heavily) in their off hours and possibly indulging in drugs, as well.

One time, just for a laugh, I called out loudly, "POLICE!!!" and watched three of these workers dive under a wagon.

Okay, okay, I made that bit up about calling out "Police" but I've often thought of doing that just to see what kind of reaction there might be from these workers.

I dunno, Tom. If you DID do something like that, there's always the possibility it could backfire on you, ya know.

(...yep, one of those carnies could in turn possibly yell out "CLOWNS!!!")

Del Toro Teases R-Rated “Nightmare Alley”

At any one time, Oscar-winning director Guillermo del Toro is attached to a multitude of projects in one form or another. Some of them get made, quite a few don’t, but whatever the case his attachment to a film certainly makes people take interest.

One such case is “Nightmare Alley,” a remake of the 1947 Tyrone Power-led noir film and a project which actually seems to be moving forward with a solid cast being locked in place including Bradley Cooper, Toni Collette, Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Richard Jenkins, Willem Dafoe, Ron Perlman and Michael Shannon.

The story follows an ambitious young con-man who hooks up with a female psychiatrist even more corrupt than he is. At first, they enjoy success fleecing people with their mentalist act, but then she turns the table on him, out-manipulating the manipulator.

Speaking with Collider this week, del Toro was asked if he could tease anything about the project and he answered that it was the original William Lindsay Gresham 1946 novel that served as his main inspiration:

“Well what it is is that book was given to me in 1992 by Ron Perlman before I saw the Tyrone Power movie, and I loved the book. My adaptation that I’ve done with [co-writer] Kim Morgan is not necessarily – the entire book is impossible, it’s a saga.

But there are elements that are darker in the book, and it’s the first chance I have – in my short films, I wanted to do noir. It was horror and noir. And now is the first chance I have to do a real ‘underbelly of society’ type of movie. [There are] no supernatural elements. Just a straight, really dark story.”

[The director] was also asked if the film would be rated R, to which he responded: “Yes, big R. Like, double R!”.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/del-toro-teases-r-rated-nightmare-alley/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings