Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

R.I.P. Postcard Rack

While it wasn't around long enough to become "beloved" like the original "One-Reel Wonders" opening, I had grown quite fond of the postcard rack opening for TCM's Shorts Presentations. I think it was mostly due to the use of the voice-overs of John Nesbitt, James FitzPatrick and Pete Smith in the piece. "One big bag of joy." But all the image choices for the postcards was first-rate too.

But it is gone replaced with a new opening using a 16mm projector. It is a pleasant and lovely looking piece which serves its purpose well. But I can't help but think the music choice is just a piece "leftover" from this year's "Race In Hollywood" event.

And I suppose this means the "TCM Vault" opening used with the "Behind The Scenes" films is gone too.

Kyle In Hollywood

While I usually defend TCM's new openings, I was never fond of the postcards, probably because of the music. I guess I caught the new one yesterday, but can't really remember much except that it was now called "TCM Extras"? I'll have to pay closer attention, which is proving to be difficult in my old age.

I didn't know what came before postcard rack... but I do know that the new projector theme opening caught my attention yesterday.... I liked it a lot until I realized they were replacing postcard rack.

I think they replaced the empty windowless skyscrapers openings... but I am not sure. I haven't noticed lately. I'd be really happy if they did. I hated that ugly image.

Bye Bye Postcard rack.....your voiceovers were great.

I hated the postcard rack, so I'm glad it's gone. I hated the guy's voice and what he says, I hated the music, and I hated some of the postcards shown.

I liked "One Reel Wonders" and I like this new one though. So I'm good with the new one.

I actually miss the buildings in the rating info bits much more than I will ever miss these postcards.

What you are referring to is one of TCM's *fanfare* clips. We should take care of our video collection from the movies we recorded from TCM. The old TCM fanfares from the past will make a nice nostalgic collectors item. I have noticed that TCM has always used the same "Silent Sunday Night" fanfare and I hope they never change it.

I have several of the "street scene" from videos and from downloaded trailer video clips from the TCM video section, plus other fanfares like the "skyscraper" clip. I always convert the flash video to the .avi format (plus I keep the original .flv file).

By the way does anyone still have any of the *original* 1995 TCM fanfare clips. If so, *keep them* and consider yourself lucky!

Out of all the fanfares I have seen come and gone (besides TCM) the one I miss the most is the RCA SelectaVision Videodisc. I only have the downloaded .mov clips to remind me of the player, since its GONE!

http://www.cedmagic.com/home/fanfare-movies-page.html

I have a lot of the old stuff too. I was fine with "postcard rack" but I liked the old one better. I haven't seen the new one yet. One thing though, the relatively short lifespan of "postcard rack" gives me hope that we won't be stuck with the current prime time intro for as long as I feared we might be. I really, really dislike it. :)

Hehe...

Just goes to show, there is something for everyone.

I don't like that pale color of green used on the new one. Looks so washed out - especially in the middle of the screen where it...well, washes out. :D

> {quote:title=pktrekgirl wrote:}{quote}

> I don't like that pale color of green used on the new one. Looks so washed out - especially in the middle of the screen where it...well, washes out. :D

It's great late at night for navigating your way back from the kitchen with a quick drink or snack.... it lights up my whole living room for about 10 seconds......