Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RUTH HUSSEY SUTS

Arturo

Let’s hear it for the beautiful vivacious charming radiant Ruth Hussey.  Forgetting that August was here, I tuned in late yesterday, and lo and behold, there she was being honored.  I caught several of the last films, including 3 which I had never seen.  While these were typical late 30s/early 40s romantic comedy programmers, Ruth was always her crisp direct self (along with the earlier mentioned adjectives).  It may have been unfortunate she was under contract at MGM, a studio heavy with top female stars.  She probably got the leftover scripts their powerhouse stars turned down.  In any case, she brought much to what she was given, and when given a real chance, usually in A films as second lead, she can be quite memorable (PHILADELPHIA STORY, H.M. PULHAM, ESQ.).  

Any opinions?

• Like 5

I just watched THE UNINVITED (1946) and she's SUCH FUN in that movie...the accent is not exactly on-the-nosey British, but her attitude is-

th?id=OIP.OlCA4sWieHuPqXz_G2PysgHaFY&pid

"I simply do not care if this place is haunted by one or even two different ghosts, I spent weeks picking out paper and paint and a month putting it up and if the Devil himself wants to move in, so be it, I am simply not giving up the view or this FABULOUS ENTRY HALL."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Glad you started this thread, Arturo. 

I was thinking the exact same things about the lovely and talented and seemingly underrated and almost forgotten Miss Hussey as you expressed here after also unfortunately only catching the final few of her films on her SUTS day yesterday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I just watched THE UNINVITED (1946) and she's SUCH FUN in that movie...the accent is not exactly on-the-nosey British, but her attitude is-

th?id=OIP.OlCA4sWieHuPqXz_G2PysgHaFY&pid

"I simply do not care if this place is haunted by one or even two different ghosts, I spent weeks picking out paper and paint and a month putting it up and if the Devil himself wants to move in, so be it, I am simply not giving up the view or this FABULOUS ENTRY HALL."

All said in that incredibly wonderful voice!

• Like 2

Sorry I missed out on Ruth Hussey day. Some of her earlier career movies being rather short, they packed in 15 movies in a single day! I've only seen four of them - The Philadelphia StoryTender ComradeThe Uninvited and Yours, Mine & Ours. But I assume all these late '30s/early '40s MGM films appear on TCM pretty routinely and will keep my eyes open for some of them airing in the future.

• Like 1

Ruth Hussey always added something to the films she was in either as the lead,  the secondary star (her most successful parts), and even as a supporting player (E.g. Another Thin Man).     I often view fine actor like Van Helfin and Hussey in a similar light.

One Hussey role I would like to see is her as Jordan Baker in 1949s The Great Gatsby with Alan Ladd.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry I missed out on Ruth Hussey day. Some of her earlier career movies being rather short, they packed in 15 movies in a single day! I've only seen four of them - The Philadelphia StoryTender ComradeThe Uninvited and Yours, Mine & Ours. But I assume all these late '30s/early '40s MGM films appear on TCM pretty routinely and will keep my eyes open for some of them airing in the future.

I don't recall Hussey in Yours, Mine and Ours... 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't recall Hussey in Yours, Mine and Ours...

Yeah, whoops, that was a total brain freeze on my part. I meant to say The Facts of Life. I'd just been looking at the Henry Fonda lineup as well. Sorry!

Edit: Both movies have Lucille Ball. That's almost certainly the reason I got them confused.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ruth Hussey always added something to the films she was in either as the lead,  the secondary star (her most successful parts), and even as a supporting player (E.g. Another Thin Man).     I often view fine actor like Van Helfin and Hussey in a similar light.

One Hussey role I would like to see is her as Jordan Baker in 1949s The Great Gatsby with Alan Ladd.

Can't believe you said that you viewed Hussey & Heflin in a similar light.  I was thinking the same thing.  Very talented, very understated actors who always plussed up every film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings