Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

D.A. Pennebaker 1925-2019

LawrenceA

Documentary filmmaker D.A. Pennebacker has died at the age of 94. Pennebaker was a recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Oscar in 2013 for his body of work, which included such films as Primary (1960), Dont Look Back (1967), Monterey Pop (1968), and The War Room (1993), among many others.

da-pennebaker.jpg?w=780

GettyImages-74344869.jpg?crop=900:600&w=

Pennebaker_Dont_Look_Back_06_PP.jpg?auto

• Thanks 5

Sorry to say I haven't seen much of his stuff, though I feel like I should have. Monterey Pop unfortunately probably suffers by circumstance. It would probably be the definitive '60s concert film if Woodstock hadn't come along a few years later. I remember The War Room getting a lot of attention upon its release, maybe the most in Pennebacker's career. Can't remember if it got an Osca nomination and/or win for Best Documentary, but it was almost certainly the highest-grossing doc in its year of release.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:39 PM, LawrenceA said:

Dont Look Back (1967)

The best Bob Dylan documentary, he is just on the cusp of changing over to electric rock from acoustic folk. One memorable scene has a British female fan telling him how much she loves "The Times They Are A-Changin' but doesn't like "Subterranean Homesick Blues".  He says "Oh you're that kind, I understand right now"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings