Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FItzMularkey

Films Which Are Considered Classics Which You Can't Stand.

For me, it's A Streetcar Named Desire.  I am not a Tennessee Williams fan by any means, but it seems that all anyone does in this particular movie is scream, slap people around and overact like crazy.   

Which "venerated classics" make you cringe?

• Thanks 1

All who know me here also know BRINGING UP BABY churns my guts.   

NINOTCHKA too. 

And I thought  THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and the remake HIGH SOCIETY were quite the bore too.  

And I think I'm the only member here that doesn't care for VERTIGO.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

For me, it's "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane." I appreciate them for contributing to film as a whole, but I think they are overrated. 

For a more modern movie, I'd have to say "Mulholland Drive." It seems like I can't escape people raving about how "great" this movie was. I recently watched it for the first time last month, and was intrigued by the concept, but couldn't bring myself to rate it over like 4.5/10 stars. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

Without a doubt, A Face In The Crowd. I cannot stand Andy Griffith and ditto goes for his t.v. show.

??

Don't like ANDY GRIFFITH?  Well, is it just YOU, or do your other friends in AL-QAEDA feel the same?  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

Life With Father

Lassie series

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The Music Man

The French Connection

Bullitt 

• Thanks 1

Wow. I love so many things on here that people cannot stand. Oh well, I guess that what makes us unique and the boards interesting.

I love A Face in the Crowd and Andy Griffith for that matter. I wasn't a big fan of Matlock but I didn't dislike it. I also love Casablanca, it is one of my all-time favorite films.  Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story are fun too.  I don't like High Society as much as The Philadelphia Story, but what I do like about it is the great jazz music and the cast.  While Vertigo isn't my favorite Hitchcock film, when the pieces of the puzzle finally came together for me, I liked it more than I had previously. 

I would agree about A Streetcar Named Desire. I saw it once to say I saw it, but there isn't anything about the film that makes me want to see it again.

I cannot stand The Godfather and all its sequels.  It is so boring.  Same goes with Apocalypse Now.  There's 10 years of my life I won't get back.

I am also not a fan of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.  I don't dislike the film persay, but I didn't see anything about the film that would make me need to see it again.  Once you see James Stewart deliver his famous filibuster, the impact is kind of lost on subsequent viewings. 

I also really dislike the 1949 version of Little Women.  June Allyson was way too old to play Jo.  I am also not a fan of Good News with Allyson and Peter Lawford. I have tried three times to get through the film and I just cannot make it. 

• Like 2

I love Ben Matlock (Andy Griffith), but don't care for his movies. LawrenceA, you are odd. Haha. (I have trouble with emoji on my tablet) I am not a fan of anything Cary Grant. He was no Rock Hudson. These kinds of threads, speaking of Cary Grant, are train wrecks waiting to happen.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Sorry if I made you sad, NickAndNora34. We get these sorts of threads started every 4 months or so, and it typically consists of people trashing a lot of movies that other people hold dear, usually leaving them feeling disappointed, defensive, and even a little insulted. So I thought I'd go all out this time, as I usually sit these things out.

Always remember that my opinion means absolutely nothing.

I am distraught. It's unthinkable that someone could have a differing opinion to mine; I don't know how on earth I'll survive... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If disliking The Sound of Music makes one odd, then I'm the oddest person you'll ever meet.

I've never seen The Sound of Music! But I feel like I have.  Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Oh, and add Mary Poppins, too.

What an abomination.

I don't dislike Mary Poppins but I also don't go out of my way to see it either. 

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

So I thought I'd go all out this time, as I usually sit these things out.

Always remember that my opinion means absolutely nothing.

Go big or go home, right?

I don't particularly care if people like films I don't, or dislike films I do, they're my personal likes and dislikes and that's all that matters to me.  Your disliking The Sound of Music is not hurting yourself or others, so who cares? right? 

I think different films and franchises or perhaps just die hard fans that take it as a personal affront and feel that they have to defend their favorite film. Note: NickandNora, I am not referring to you 🙂 If you love Mary Poppins, you do you 🙂

I am not a fan of Harry Potter. I think it's boring and monotonous. 

• Like 1

I've already mentioned it but I don't care for Sound of Music either but I absolutely love the "reimagining." Seriously, probably my favorite album. Along with the Thing, it is one of the rare times where the "remake" blows the original out of the water.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

If disliking The Sound of Music makes one odd, then I'm the oddest person you'll ever meet.

Or I'm the oddest person you'll ever meet. I could never understand why Star Wars was so big. Really can't understand why TCM went to the trouble to show it twice and even in prime-time. I am a fan of Julie Andrews. That helps for The Sound Of Music. I don't suggest anyone even try to bad mouth Victor/Victoria. It has a little bit of everything. My Favorite!

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And I think I'm the only member here that doesn't care for VERTIGO.

Sepiatone

No, you're not.  I LOATHE "Vertigo."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

most irritating musical I ever tried to sit through.

2001, A Space Odyssey.  Incredible art direction and SFX but the bad acting and silly, almost incomprehensible story line come together to create the most tedious, snooze-inducing film of all time. No wonder you had to be high to appreciate it!  Never got it and I had my opinion re-confirmed when it aired on TCM for what seems the millionth time in July.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I notice a lot of the movies that people usually mention in these threads tend to be ones that have been touted by critics and others as "the greatest films" ever, setting up people for disappointment when they finally see them. I know I was hugely disappointed the first time I saw Citizen Kane. I couldn't believe that was it. Of course, I also wasn't appreciating it for when it came out, and the technical prowess on display, as the film has been copied and lifted from many times since. I still wouldn't rank Citizen Kane as a favorite, but I appreciate it more now than when I first tried watching it.

Sugary, "wholesome" family films have always repulsed me, even as a little kid. And as I've mentioned many times, most musicals aren't for me, as I don't care for the style of the music involved. I also don't like Christmas movies as a general rule, although there are some exceptions.

I like Citizen Kane.  While I also wouldn't call it one of my favorites, I do appreciate it.  Each time I watch it, I find something new to appreciate.  I do agree with you that the film has been held in such high esteem and has been parodied so many times that it seemingly has taken on a life of its own. I can see how people can go into something expecting something amazing and coming away feeling disappointed.  For me, it was one of those "see it just so I can say I did" type films.

I like some of the "wholesome" films. It really depends on who is in it and if there are any catchy songs or what not. I love Meet Me in St. Louis which I can understand if someone finds it syrupy.  I love Judy Garland and I love the songs in the film, which is probably why I enjoy it so much.  Normally, I am not a fan of little kid actors, but Margaret O'Brien is hilarious in this film.  I also love the sets and costuming of this film. 

Some of the "wholesome" films I do dislike, especially if it seems overly corny in a way that is off-putting for me. And this is coming from someone who can watch hours of The Brady Bunch, but can only tolerate 1-2 episodes of Full House before I'm sick of it. I don't know if I can even explain what triggers my "corn" meter. 

I do enjoy Christmas films as well, but like I said on another thread, if I never see another version of A Christmas Carol, I'd be happy. I also don't enjoy the really crude Christmas films. I don't find Bad Santa funny or even remotely amusing. I do love Elf however, even though it's really dumb. I don't know what it is about it. Don't even get me started on the horrible Hallmark Christmas movies. 

I can't even explain what endears me to some films and turns me off of others.  There's just an intangible quality about them.  For me, the film either has "it" or doesn't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I looked at the AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies list, since the OP mentioned films that are "considered classics". 

The Sound of Music is on the list, and I've spoken of my disdain already.

Having seen them all, I can't say that there are any more that I "can't stand". There are a few that I'm not crazy about (Some Like It HotTitanicYankee Doodle DandyWest Side Story), but that's about it. I see too many truly bad movies to hate the "classics" too much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movies_(10th_Anniversary_Edition)

I love Some Like it Hot.  I have a certain nostalgia for Titanic, though I wouldn't call it the greatest movie ever and definitely think that it's a bigger deal than it should have been.  I saw Titanic in the theater on opening day with my best friends in middle school.  I ended up seeing it three times.  I swear in it was in the theaters for an entire year.  

I like West Side Story, but cannot help but feel let down by the casting of Natalie Wood, at least don't have her use the phony accent.  I also wish that they'd used better people for the dubbing of Maria and Tony.  Marni Nixon is not a bad singer by any means, but her voice did not match Natalie Wood's at all.  Her singing was very off-putting. The person who dubbed Tony was terrible. 

There are quite a few good movies removed from the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movies_(10th_Anniversary_Edition)#Films_removed_from_list

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers is overrated as a movie and musical. I am not a Howard Keel fan. I'd rather watch The Unsinkable Molly Brown. I like Debbie Reynolds. My likes and dislikes have plenty to do with the stars.

Sometimes Katharine Hepburn's voice gets under my skin. It helps a lot of she is with Spencer Tracy and not Cary Grant. Some Joan Blondell (Desk Set) makes it better too.

I like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  It's not my favorite musical, but I enjoy it.  I like that it takes place in Oregon.  I also love Howard Keel. I love his voice.  The "Barn Raising" number is one of the best musical numbers of any musical that I've seen.  The plot is a little questionable, but overall I find it amusing.  I just wish the brothers didn't all have red hair. I found that a little goofy. 

I also enjoy Katharine Hepburn, I could see how her voice might be irritating, but I don't mind it. I also like Cary Grant. I thought they were great together in Bringing Up Baby and A Philadelphia Story.  I actually prefer Cary Grant over Spencer Tracy.  Though I would agree that Hepburn and Tracy were fantastic in Desk Set.  I enjoy that pairing very much.  My favorite Katharine Hepburn films are those where she's paired up with someone who can hold their own with her.  One of my favorite scenes is the very beginning of A Philadelphia Story when Cary Grant pushes Hepburn back into the house.  I also love the rapport between Hepburn and Ginger Rogers in Stage Door.

I don't really have any real aversions to any particular actor.  An actor that I like may make me want to see the film more, but even if it's an actor I don't particularly care for (e.g. Mickey Rooney), the actor doesn't make me not want to see the film.

I don't know why I'd go out of my way to come up with reasons to not watch films. I just want to watch, learn, and expand my scope of movie knowledge and experience.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Unsinkable Molly Brown was a chore to sit through, for me. I didn't want to see Debbie Reynolds again for years afterward. Hello, Dolly and Oliver! were also pains, but they're not generally considered film "greats".

And Doctor Dolittle...🤮

I love Debbie Reynolds, but The Unsinkable Molly Brown was difficult for me too.  She's just so loud in that movie.

I haven't seen Hello Dolly, Oliver! or Doctor Doolittle

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Life With Father

Lassie series

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The Music Man

The French Connection

Bullitt 

Wow.  I could pretty much agree on all of these films.  I have no particular feeling one way or another about the Lassie series but don't get me started on "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington." Capra-corn at its worst.  Jean Arthur is watchable but that's about it. And, what was with that idiotic wig of Claude Rain's???? 

Edward Arnold:  "Claude, what did you ever do to **** off the make-up department?"

720full-mr.-smith-goes-to-washington-(1939)-screenshot.jpg

• Haha 1

Hi.  I’m new around here—well, not new to reading all the interesting reviews and comments, but new to posting myself.  This seemed like a good topic to jump into, as I know we all like giving our opinions on things we think are overrated (a word I don’t like and try not to use, as it usually just means “a movie most people like but you happen not to”).

Anyway, a classic that I really dislike is “How Green was My Valley,” and believe me I’ve watched 3 or 4 times, hoping that this time I will finally understand what is supposed to be so great about it.  The funny thing is, it’s a type of movie I generally like very much.  I love period dramas and films about families, and I generally like most John Ford films.  But, this one just leaves me cold; it starts out OK, but after about 30 minutes my eyes gradually start to glaze over.

• Like 2