Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FItzMularkey

Films Which Are Considered Classics Which You Can't Stand.

dubious best picture winners like Out of Africa and Chariots of Fire

A Guy Named Joe (preferred Spielberg's remake Always)

Grey Gardens (insufferable)

King Kong - people rave about this and I don't get why. special effects influence can only carry it so far

Eraserhead -David Lynch in general, though I loved Mulholland Drive

Alec Guinness comedies like The Horse's Mouth and The Detective

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

No, but it underlines the childishness, and mean-spirited pettiness that "Str8s" perceive in the community trying to form some tribalistic culture out of nothing--In the hopes of trying to market themselves into one, and goof and guffaw their own bigoted self-stereotypes in the belief they're "celebrating" them, rather than build bridges with anyone who still holds them.  A culture wants its cake, with big pink icing, and to eat their own "misunderstood persecution" for it too.

No, Bette Davis in All About Eve was never a "gay movie", but it's since been adopted as one, since Davis, her stylized acting, and the story's backstabbing/catfighting plot, seems to live up to one culture's bitterly misogynistic issues about their fantasy-perceptions of the opposite sex.  Those of us with fewer personal problems would like to appreciate the movie for what it is, without the pointed cheap-gag hooting from the balcony...And since I was only dissing it for its association with its "fans", that probably disqualifies it, and I should withdraw the question.   As for Tennessee Williams and Streetcar, well, that's hardly any secret there, but that doesn't make the character depictions of Blanche and Stanley any less grating or truer to life either.

I'm not the one who hijacked the thread, and I only wanted to wrap up the point--But only recently, I found out that "Grease" is now considered a, quote, "gay icon" movie, because the community sees it as a "hetero fantasy" of Greaser and T-Birds doin' it in the back seats at drive-in's...So, now, movies are, quote, "gay" for being "TOO straight"?  The rest of us will "mind our own danged business" when someone else learns how to first.

(And if I was on YouTube, I'd be in tears shouting "Leave 'Xanadu' alone!!! 😰"  😃 )

I think the Schwanzschwulens are a bit uh... odd too but this discussion is best suited for the Off Topic forum. 

4 hours ago, hutz said:

King Kong - people rave about this and I don't get why. special effects influence can only carry it so far

Eraserhead -David Lynch in general, though I loved Mulholland Drive

I have to definitely disagree here. I love these two. Some of the best in their genre imo.

20 hours ago, Joe Gillis said:

2001, A Space Odyssey.  Incredible art direction and SFX but the bad acting and silly, almost incomprehensible story line come together to create the most tedious, snooze-inducing film of all time. No wonder you had to be high to appreciate it!  Never got it and I had my opinion re-confirmed when it aired on TCM for what seems the millionth time in July.

Sure.  I really DID like it more seeing it projected (3 projectors and that huge curved screen) and after a tab of yellow mescaline.  :D  And some told me, "You'll finally understand it when you read Clarke's book."  But even THAT didn't help.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I've never seen The Sound of Music! But I feel like I have.  Lol. 

I just meant this in the sense that this film has been around for so long, parodied countless times, it's cemented in pop culture.  "My Favorite Things" is a Christmas song for whatever reason.  So even though I haven't seen the film, I feel like I have because I know so much about it.

The same thing is true with Gone With the Wind.  I've never seen the film in its entirety, but I know all the famous scenes, I know how it ends, I know what happens, I feel like I've seen it.  Some day though, as God is my witness, I will sit and watch this film--maybe on a particularly blustery, rainy Oregon afternoon.

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've heard from more people that hate/dislike that movie than those who liked it! I had to give out a few refunds when one of my fellow video store employees put it in their Employee Picks one month.

I couldn't complain, though, as I think they issued more refunds on stuff I put in that section than from any other employee. I may have even been partially responsible for having that section discontinued!

I can't believe that you have to issue refunds because of a movie that someone chose to rent and then didn't like! Who cares if the employee recommended it? You didn't force them to rent it.

24 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That was a Blockbuster policy. If a renter was unhappy with a movie, they could demand an in-store credit refund. Surprisingly, it wasn't invoked very often. But that was a long time ago (over 20 years ago).

Yeah, I don't believe Blockbuster even has that policy anyone, Lawrence.

(...wait...)

;)

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

No, but it underlines the childishness, and mean-spirited pettiness that "Str8s" perceive in the community trying to form some tribalistic culture out of nothing--In the hopes of trying to market themselves into one, and goof and guffaw their own bigoted self-stereotypes in the belief they're "celebrating" them, rather than build bridges with anyone who still holds them.  A culture wants its cake, with big pink icing, and to eat their own "misunderstood persecution" for it too.

No, Bette Davis in All About Eve was never a "gay movie", but it's since been adopted as one, since Davis, her stylized acting, and the story's backstabbing/catfighting plot, seems to live up to one culture's bitterly misogynistic issues about their fantasy-perceptions of the opposite sex.  Those of us with fewer personal problems would like to appreciate the movie for what it is, without the pointed cheap-gag hooting from the balcony...And since I was only dissing it for its association with its "fans", that probably disqualifies it, and I should withdraw the question.   As for Tennessee Williams and Streetcar, well, that's hardly any secret there, but that doesn't make the character depictions of Blanche and Stanley any less grating or truer to life either.

I'm not the one who hijacked the thread, and I only wanted to wrap up the point--But only recently, I found out that "Grease" is now considered a, quote, "gay icon" movie, because the community sees it as a "hetero fantasy" of Greaser and T-Birds doin' it in the back seats at drive-in's...So, now, movies are, quote, "gay" for being "TOO straight"?  The rest of us will "mind our own danged business" when someone else learns how to first.

(And if I was on YouTube, I'd be in tears shouting "Leave 'Xanadu' alone!!! 😰"  😃 )

Yet All About Eve was written by a hetero male....

Just now, LawrenceA said:

They were still around and fairly ubiquitous for another decade after I got out of the biz, smart guy! <_<:lol:

Well, I've always said if there was ONE guy who could "see the writing on the wall", it was YOU! ;)

42 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just meant this in the sense that this film has been around for so long, parodied countless times, it's cemented in pop culture.  "My Favorite Things" is a Christmas song for whatever reason.  So even though I haven't seen the film, I feel like I have because I know so much about it.

The same thing is true with Gone With the Wind.  I've never seen the film in its entirety, but I know all the famous scenes, I know how it ends, I know what happens, I feel like I've seen it.  Some day though, as God is my witness, I will sit and watch this film--maybe on a particularly blustery, rainy Oregon afternoon.

It's only recently that My Favorite Things has become a holiday song. I find it odd, though it does have some winter imagery in it.

46 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Nice touch here, speedy. ;)

• Like 1

There's something seriously wrong if you've watched several thousand movies and you can't find plenty of high-rated classics you don't like.  Here are a few of my all time fingernails on a blackboard:

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (Post-1933 musicals in general are godawful, but this is the worst of the worst. Howard Keel's singing is almost as unnerving as Donald Trump's tweeting.)

The Graduate (generational pandering on steroids)

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Right, this is just how things work in Washington!)

Shadow of a Doubt (How dense can all those relatives be?  Does Uncle Charlie have to wear a sign around his neck saying "I AM A PSYCHOPATH WHO DOESN'T LIKE ANSWERING QUESTIONS" for them to figure him out?)

The Stranger (see comment for Shadow of a Doubt)

Bonnie and Clyde (Oh, those poor, misunderstood fashionista gangsters!)

Easy Rider (Oh, those poor, misunderstood drug dealers!)

Touch of Evil (Charlton Heston should have stuck to his six hour Bible movies)

Woman of the Year (A more appropriate title would be Masochist of the Year, meaning in this case Tess.)

My Dinner With Andre (It's like eavesdropping on Marianne Williamson having dinner with David Brooks.)

I guess ten is enough.  I could've just listed pretty much every Hollywood biopic, every sappy musical, and any movie featuring Mickey Rooney where he didn't wind up either dead or in jail, but my momma always told me it's not nice to pick the wings off flies. 😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

GWTW goes down best with a big bowl of turnip stew. 😎

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AndyM108 said:

GWTW goes down best with a big bowl of turnip stew. 😎

The great carrot, radish or turnip debate.  I always thought it looked like a dirty carrot but the book reads:

"A spicy, sharp-tasting radish was exactly what her stomach craved. She bit off half and swallowed it hastily. It was old and coarse and so peppery that tears started in her eyes."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

The great carrot, radish or turnip debate.  I always thought it looked like a dirty carrot but the book reads:

"A spicy, sharp-tasting radish was exactly what her stomach craved. She bit off half and swallowed it hastily. It was old and coarse and so peppery that tears started in her eyes."

let her eat tara.

:D

you know what you can do with that, scarlett?

:lol:

Image result for scarlett o'hara eats turnip

18 hours ago, Fedya said:

I'm another person who doesn't like Vertigo.

Movies that I think haven't been mentioned in this thread that I really dislike:

Gigi

Doctor Zhivago

Being There

Honestly, I've seen more hatred than praise for Gigi in my years on the internet. I thought it was fine, but most seem to hate it that i have seen.

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

Watching Kevin Bacon in "She's Having a Baby", we also feel as if we're watching 45-yo. Hughes just on the very post-high-school twenty-something verge of trying to sort out and approach the wide, new, scary world of responsible Adulting, but...then Home Alone came along the next year, to take Hughes back to cartoon Neverland.  The road not traveled. 😢

There's a reason for that. She's Having a Baby was the one truly personal film Hughes made. The Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern characters were in essence versions of himself and his wife. And the film was meant to be a valentine to her. He was proud of making the film. And then it opened and was mauled by critics and was ignored by the public. And he was so hurt by that response that from then on, for his remaining decade in Hollywood, he never was fully attached to another film, he would write them, but only going through the numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really liked She's Having a Baby and still do.  Especially the soundtrack.

Elizabeth McGovern is such a charmer in this.  "Grouper. It's grouper!"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've heard from more people that hate/dislike that movie than those who liked it! I had to give out a few refunds when one of my fellow video store employees put it in their Employee Picks one month.

I couldn't complain, though, as I think they issued more refunds on stuff I put in that section than from any other employee. I may have even been partially responsible for having that section discontinued!

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I can't believe that you have to issue refunds because of a movie that someone chose to rent and then didn't like! Who cares if the employee recommended it? You didn't force them to rent it.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

That was a Blockbuster policy. If a renter was unhappy with a movie, they could demand an in-store credit refund. Surprisingly, it wasn't invoked very often. But that was a long time ago (over 20 years ago).

There's still a video store in town (a Family Video) and they do have a section marked "favorites" films (often from the 80s and 90s, but with some before and after that point) which you can rent for a dollar and if you don't like the film (despite its favorite designation), they'll do a refund. There was one time i ran into a film that I was not enamored of from that section [For the record it was 1978's Goin' South, a film that was completely imploded for me by just one scene. A pity because I liked the early sections of the film]. So I told them, and instead of getting money back, I just rented another film instead.

I have frequently noticed that the threads that bring out a lot of hate in posters are the ones that have a lot of replies.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, Sepiatone said:

All who know me here also know BRINGING UP BABY churns my guts.  

... And I thought  THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and the remake HIGH SOCIETY were quite the bore too.  

I generally keep it to myself but the gushing praise for THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and BRINGING UP BABY leave me dumbstruck. The problem is Katherine Hepburn (my feeling extends to HOLIDAY and WOMAN OF THE YEAR), particularly during that late 30s-early 40s period of her career. The characters she plays leave me entirely without sympathy - and usually something close to contempt. My sense is she deserves the problems that befall her.

Strangely, my problem goes away as her career proceeds. She's more tolerable after 1945 or so.

• Like 2

I hate EVERY Vietnam War movie EVER made OTHER than that masterpiece starring that great American patriot John Wayne, titled The Green Berets!

And 'cause ALL those others like Apocalypse Now, Coming Home and Born on the Fourth of July do is make a mockery of our country's valiant efforts to fight the Communistic scourge which threatened the freedom loving people of the world at the time!

(...sorry, you'll have to excuse me here...I sometimes affect and take on these sorts of characters because, well, because I must just be a frustrated actor at heart) ;)

LOL

23 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Honestly, I've seen more hatred than praise for Gigi in my years on the internet. I thought it was fine, but most seem to hate it that i have seen.

Hmm, I wonder why?   The whole training Gigi to be a courtesean or "Thank Heavens for Little Girls"?  I've always liked "Gigi":  Leslie Caron is adorable, she and Louis Jordan have a nice chemistry, there's some catchy songs, and it has Hermione Gingold.   

1 hour ago, Brrrcold said:

I generally keep it to myself but the gushing praise for THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and BRINGING UP BABY leave me dumbstruck. The problem is Katherine Hepburn (my feeling extends to HOLIDAY and WOMAN OF THE YEAR), particularly during that late 30s-early 40s period of her career. The characters she plays leave me entirely without sympathy - and usually something close to contempt. My sense is she deserves the problems that befall her.

Strangely, my problem goes away as her career proceeds. She's more tolerable after 1945 or so.

Yes, both of those characters lack sympathy.   In TPS this 'works' for me since the why-she-is-that-way as well as her coming-aware-of-her-faults and the positive 'awakening' are part of the main story line.    She would have deserved the problems  that would have occurred to her IF she had married without-love,  but her awakening gets her back on track.

In BUB the character is just a pain that doesn't see any reason to change how she is.   The movie has some very funny moments but Holiday is my favorite Grant\Hepburn film.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

The problem is Katherine Hepburn (my feeling extends to HOLIDAY and WOMAN OF THE YEAR),

That ending of "Woman of the Year"...oof.  I really enjoyed the movie up until Katherine Hepburn is stumbling around the kitchen. Painful.  One of the TCM hosts said that the original ending had her going to a baseball game with Tracy and enjoying it but it didn't test well.   

• Like 2