Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

How Disney's New Bundle Instantly Changes The Streaming Landscape For Everyone

Well, it means we can finally drop all those weird foreign shows on Netflix, for a start, now that we have some new default "one-stop" subscription service.

That's why nobody's been subscribing to the others, you know, because we still naively want to believe in Netflix having "everything", and not having to go anywhere else.

7 minutes ago, EricJ said:

That's why nobody's been subscribing to the others, you know, because we still naively want to believe in Netflix having "everything", and not having to go anywhere else.

I've seen this in radio. People want variety, but, they want their favorites too ! Which conflict each other. Netflix seems to be just throwning things against the wall to see what sticks. Not sure what they specialize in. We all know what Disney specializes in. And that's what these other niche channels don't understand.

I plan to get the new service and drop Netflix when it starts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I've seen this in radio. People want variety, but, they want their favorites too ! Which conflict each other. Netflix seems to be just throwning things against the wall to see what sticks. Not sure what they specialize in. We all know what Disney specializes in. And that's what these other niche channels don't understand.

I plan to get the new service and drop Netflix when it starts.

The "Bundle" that's attracting all the ooh's and aah's in the press is a three-service bundle of Disney+--which, as noted, we all know--ESPN's service, for sports, and HuluPlus, for TV reruns and standard studio-streaming movies.

That pretty much covers a good basic of all the basic cord-cutting programming, and makes the package look like the good "Default" service.  The reason streaming hasn't become the gold mine everyone else wishes it was, is because, deep down, viewers WANT what they had with 80's-90's cable, before it went off a cliff:  One monthly price, to put a coin in the slot and see their TV show something...Not the corporate studio dream of "All my favorites are Warner, I want to subscribe to their service!"

I am interested in Disney+ but not the bundle. Thanks to TopBilled, I am interested in BritBox. Both services offer 12 months for the price of 10. I have and want to keep cable. Don't need Hulu and ESPN+ is the last channel I would ever watch.

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

deep down, viewers WANT what they had with 80's-90's cable, before it went off a cliff:

That's a fact.  I just officially 'cut the cord' and said bye bye to $$$ directv to switch to Hulu plus live tv.  I picked it because I already used Hulu, I have a Hulu app on my tv, so didn't have to use space on Roku or Fire Stick, and (and this was a biggie for me)...I'm not giving up Watch TCM (2 coast feeds, the films to stream)--it's built into their app!  Paying so much for satellite for the handful of stations I really watch was becoming silly.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

The "Bundle" that's attracting all the ooh's and aah's in the press is a three-service bundle of Disney+--which, as noted, we all know--ESPN's service, for sports, and HuluPlus, for TV reruns and standard studio-streaming movies.

That pretty much covers a good basic of all the basic cord-cutting programming, and makes the package look like the good "Default" service.  The reason streaming hasn't become the gold mine everyone else wishes it was, is because, deep down, viewers WANT what they had with 80's-90's cable, before it went off a cliff:  One monthly price, to put a coin in the slot and see their TV show something...Not the corporate studio dream of "All my favorites are Warner, I want to subscribe to their service!"

Not quite true.

SlingTV (owned by Dish), is a gold mine. Services like this one are gaining most of the customers who are leaving Cable/Satellite.  That's why these other companies have come about. Its the copycats like DirectNow that are suffering. 

In 2017 the average cable/satellite customer had 198 channels, yet only watched 19 of them. Most of those big numbers are bulked up with Shopping channels, Religious channels, Music channels etc...  The skinny bundles work because they only have the 19 or so channels people actually watch for a cheap price.

Its the cable companies that want it the old way. They are determined to get $150 per month out of their customers. Whether its from TV, internet, cell phone, land line, etc... they don't care. This is why DirecTVNow is failing. They started as a skinny bundle but, slowly easing that price up bit by bit. And begging you to bundle with other things and fixing the prices so that you almost have to bundle services together. Not to mention sign contracts. People are tired of that old paradigm and are voting with their feet.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

One monthly price, to put a coin in the slot and see their TV show something...Not the corporate studio dream of "All my favorites are Warner, I want to subscribe to their service!"

That will fail. Parting out movies studio by studio can never work. Because most people don't know one studio from the next. There's enough people complaining on here about not showing enough MGM films. For a person to have to subscribe to several services to see all the films they want to see, its cost prohibitive and too complex. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Not quite true.

SlingTV (owned by Dish), is a gold mine. Services like this one are gaining most of the customers who are leaving Cable/Satellite.  That's why these other companies have come about. Its the copycats like DirectNow that are suffering. 

In 2017 the average cable/satellite customer had 198 channels, yet only watched 19 of them. Most of those big numbers are bulked up with Shopping channels, Religious channels, Music channels etc...  The skinny bundles work because they only have the 19 or so channels people actually watch for a cheap price.

Its the cable companies that want it the old way. They are determined to get $150 per month out of their customers. Whether its from TV, internet, cell phone, land line, etc... they don't care. This is why DirecTVNow is failing. They started as a skinny bundle but, slowly easing that price up bit by bit. And begging you to bundle with other things and fixing the prices so that you almost have to bundle services together. Not to mention sign contracts. People are tired of that old paradigm and are voting with their feet.

I agree doing this, at least in principle.  Though those services will eventually start to charge what the market will bear, if they aren't already.  For me (and not necessarily anyone else here) using satellite for technical reasons is the easiest.  Mainly because I would rather be lazy on this one point and not have to think about re-engineering my recording setup.  It is that simple.

BTW I looked into a couple of these packages and noticed it still subsidizes some of their other crap they own, which I would rather have the option of not doing.  So either way you are paying for more "product" than just TCM.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I agree doing this, at least in principle.  Though those services will eventually start to charge what the market will bear, if they aren't already.  For me (and not necessarily anyone else here) using satellite for technical reasons is the easiest.  Mainly because I would rather be lazy on this one point and not have to think about re-engineering my recording setup.  It is that simple.

BTW I looked into a couple of these packages and noticed it still subsidizes some of their other crap they own, which I would rather have the option of not doing.  So either way you are paying for more "product" than just TCM.

When I had Dish, I sat down one day and went through the whole 200+ package I had and asked myself "which of these do I really need?". I came up with about 15 that I watch. Then searched for the cheapest way to get those 15. Now I pay $35 instead of $90 a month. Of course its all connected. I don't do this as a protest. Now we have competition so I'm going with the best deal.

I have a friend who lives in a gated community. The community made a deal with a service to be the only service there. Basically a monopoly. So he is stuck with service he doesn't want. This is what I want to avoid. They still use contracts and force in their business practices. This I am against.

I would go back to OTA rabbit ears. (I have that also ;))

5 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

When I had Dish, I sat down one day and went through the whole 200+ package I had and asked myself "which of these do I really need?". I came up with about 15 that I watch. Then searched for the cheapest way to get those 15. Now I pay $35 instead of $90 a month. Of course its all connected. I don't do this as a protest. Now we have competition so I'm going with the best deal.

I have a friend who lives in a gated community. The community made a deal with a service to be the only service there. Basically a monopoly. So he is stuck with service he doesn't want. This is what I want to avoid. They still use contracts and force in their business practices. This I am against.

I would go back to OTA rabbit ears. (I have that also ;))

Same thoughts here on competition being a good thing.  Nevertheless, whether out of principle or not, it is helping.  There are some weird HOAs out there.

One thing I thought about was the fact that Netflix is really the only top-tier streaming service that offers a bunch of Disney animated & live action movies/tv shows on their site. Unfortunately, they will be losing most of these once Disney+ gets up and running, which could potentially cause people with small kids to switch streaming sites. Although, a lot of the parents I know with young kids already have membership to more than one streaming service (Prime, Netflix, Hulu), so I can see several households still subscribing to both Netflix and Disney+. 

I'm planning on checking out the service once it's up and running... I'm looking forward to potentially being able to watch some Disney Channel tv shows from the early 2000's. 

• Like 1

For people who don't want to click on Tweets, it won't be available on the Amazon FireTV devices. That's not too surprising, as Amazon and Disney have been antagonistic toward each other for several years.

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

For people who don't want to click on Tweets, it won't be available on the Amazon FireTV devices. That's not too surprising, as Amazon and Disney have been antagonistic toward each other for several years.

Tweets need to stay on Twitter!

1 minute ago, The Keeper said:

Tweets need to stay on Twitter!

Most social media is designed to be shared on other platforms. Why not this one ?

45 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Most social media is designed to be shared on other platforms. Why not this one ?

I would like to know what others think. I am expressing just one opinion. I am completely against Twitter posts being on this forum. Okay, I'm old and old fashioned. Anyone else care to chime in?

1 hour ago, The Keeper said:

We need female (no testosterone) Corporate CEOs!

Umm...it all depends, and if you are working and who you have to work for.

Normally I wouldn't even acknowledge such a post, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to post this.  Here's someone who buys stagnant businesses to reinvigorate them.  Business-wise, sort of like what Mitt Romney did at Bain Capital before he was bit by the poly-ticks bug.  I hadn't heard of her or her company before, until I recently got a Rand McNally GPS to use for road trips and went over the website to get it set up.

https://www.randmcnally.com/about/patriarch_partners

https://www.flickr.com/photos/patriarchpartners/albums/72157656454031123

MD Helicopters

To get back on topic, almost reminds me of something out of the old Disney. http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Keeper said:

We need female (no testosterone) Corporate CEOs!

Unfortunately, Disney's got them, which is why Frozen and Captain Marvel are getting sequels...  😓

• Like 1