Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

How Disney's New Bundle Instantly Changes The Streaming Landscape For Everyone

Recommended Posts

how many streaming services am I going to have to sign up for? it's basically just turning into more-expensive cable if all these different groups are fixing to produce a service.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That being said, I think a lot of people my age are going to want to sign up for Disney+, after looking at the impressive array of 90s/early 2000s tv shows and Disney Channel Original movies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

how many streaming services am I going to have to sign up for? it's basically just turning into more-expensive cable if all these different groups are fixing to produce a service.

On Cord Cutters News is an article about TCM moving to the Sports Package. The article claims Comcast no longer has to pay for TCM. I can't find any more information on this. Should that be true, it could change how TCM operates.

Oh, Starz may go dark with Comcast, while they fight over compensation.

So having to subscribe one service at a time is possible. The good news, you can start or stop services by the month.

I will not be adding anything to my high priced cable bill. Keeping TCM puts me at my limit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

That being said, I think a lot of people my age are going to want to sign up for Disney+, after looking at the impressive array of 90s/early 2000s tv shows and Disney Channel Original movies. 

I liked the 30s-60s output and the late 80s-early 90s Disney Afternoon cartoons!
 

i wish Donald Duck in Math Magic Land was on there. It may be the best math-related programming that exists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I liked the 30s-60s output and the late 80s-early 90s Disney Afternoon cartoons!
 

i wish Donald Duck in Math Magic Land was on there. It may be the best math-related programming that exists. 

Allegedly, they're putting Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, TaleSpin, and Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers on there so I'm hyped for those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Allegedly, they're putting Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, TaleSpin, and Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers on there so I'm hyped for those. 

Those + Duck Tales and Gargoyles are my jam!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Those + Duck Tales and Gargoyles are my jam!

Aladdin: the Series, however, as with disk, is still MIA.  

There was an article on which movies will NOT be coming to the service, the new ones still contracted to Netflix (Solo, Incredibles 2, Infinity War), for example.  Also, in addition to the unmentionable S*ng of the S**th, 1981's "The Devil & Max Devlin" is mysteriously missing from the lineup, since, as Disney knows, Bill Cosby is the devil.

Basically, it's the same comprehensive lineup of Disney films as was available on Vudu's VOD catalog, with noted exceptions.  Me, however, I'm just glad I held on to my Disney Treasures steelbook DVD of "Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow".  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Aladdin: the Series, however, as with disk, is still MIA.  

There was an article on which movies will NOT be coming to the service, the new ones still contracted to Netflix (Solo, Incredibles 2, Infinity War), for example.  Also, in addition to the unmentionable S*ng of the S**th, 1981's "The Devil & Max Devlin" is mysteriously missing from the lineup, since, as Disney knows, Bill Cosby is the devil.

Basically, it's the same comprehensive lineup of Disney films as was available on Vudu's VOD catalog, with noted exceptions.  Me, however, I'm just glad I held on to my Disney Treasures steelbook DVD of "Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow".  B)

I wish they were showing the Disney Treasures collection of the WWII Disney propaganda cartoons.  I thought they were fascinating.  I especially liked the one where Donald Duck had a bad dream that he'd joined the Nazi party.

EDIT: I'm sure the Walt Disney Treasure material will never make it onto the streaming service, as I imagine making such special edition product available to the masses would diminish the value of the collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Allegedly, they're putting Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, TaleSpin, and Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers on there so I'm hyped for those. 

Have you seen the new Duck Tales on Disney Channel?

I was irritated that they were remaking a beloved cartoon of mine from elementary school, but I was actually pleasantly surprised as to how much I liked the new show.  My only qualm was that I think the original rendition of the theme song is better than the new version.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

how many streaming services am I going to have to sign up for? it's basically just turning into more-expensive cable if all these different groups are fixing to produce a service.

Many of these services are redundant and (In my opinion), won't be around too long because there will be a glut on the market.

So what you and I and all the rest of us should do is sit down and ask yourself "what channels/content do I really want to have ?". And cobble together a package that best fits what you are interested in for the cheapest price. The days of one stop shopping are coming to an end.

Its only super expensive if you try to subscribe to every single service. Just get the ones you really want because we only can watch so much.

 

5 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

On Cord Cutters News is an article about TCM moving to the Sports Package.

That's a great site to get information about all that's going on. And how to save money. They also have a YouTube channel.

36 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish they were showing the Disney Treasures collection of the WWII Disney propaganda cartoons.  I thought they were fascinating.  I especially liked the one where Donald Duck had a bad dream that he'd joined the Nazi party.

EDIT: I'm sure the Walt Disney Treasure material will never make it onto the streaming service, as I imagine making such special edition product available to the masses would diminish the value of the collection.

Years ago, Disney released a box set of all of their cartoons. And apparently, no one bothered to look through the cartoons to see what could be considered offensive. And unfortunately, some episodes were included that Disney was not proud of. I'm sure this time, Disney will go through each one with a fine tooth comb. And some of those you mention might not make the cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Years ago, Disney released a box set of all of their cartoons. And apparently, no one bothered to look through the cartoons to see what could be considered offensive. And unfortunately, some episodes were included that Disney was not proud of. I'm sure this time, Disney will go through each one with a fine tooth comb. And some of those you mention might not make the cut.

The Disney Treasures cartoons were Archive collector's boxsets, and also had Leonard Maltin to explain the context.  That's how they could get away with the wartime-propaganda set.  (Even defending them in some of the Chronological Mickey/Donald cases:  "In this cartoon, Donald goes hunting, but as we see in the end, he's too softhearted to actually shoot anything.") In the later sets, however, they fell back on Warner's condescending "We can't ignore such mistakes of the past" disclaimer.  

Here, it's considered broadcasting, so whatever was taken out of broadcast syndication--like one or two episodes of Rescue Rangers or Buzz Lightyear of Star Command--will stay out.  Especially Bre'r You-Know-Who.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

The Disney Treasures cartoons were Archive collector's boxsets, and also had Leonard Maltin to explain the context.  That's how they could get away with the wartime-propaganda set.  (Even defending them in some of the Chronological Mickey/Donald cases:  "In this cartoon, Donald goes hunting, but as we see in the end, he's too softhearted to actually shoot anything.") In the later sets, however, they fell back on Warner's condescending "We can't ignore such mistakes of the past" disclaimer.  

Here, it's considered broadcasting, so whatever was taken out of broadcast syndication--like one or two episodes of Rescue Rangers or Buzz Lightyear of Star Command--will stay out.  Especially Bre'r You-Know-Who.

You have to remember, it works both ways. Much of what is produced today would offend many people of yesteryear. Times change and unfortunately, people's tastes do also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

It is ridiculous that Disney refuses to release Song of the South (yes I know it's available elsewhere, I've seen a Canadian release of it), but they have an entire ride at Disneyland based on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EricJ said:

The Disney Treasures cartoons were Archive collector's boxsets, and also had Leonard Maltin to explain the context.  That's how they could get away with the wartime-propaganda set.  (Even defending them in some of the Chronological Mickey/Donald cases:  "In this cartoon, Donald goes hunting, but as we see in the end, he's too softhearted to actually shoot anything.") In the later sets, however, they fell back on Warner's condescending "We can't ignore such mistakes of the past" disclaimer.  

Here, it's considered broadcasting, so whatever was taken out of broadcast syndication--like one or two episodes of Rescue Rangers or Buzz Lightyear of Star Command--will stay out.  Especially Bre'r You-Know-Who.

Another one of the really good propaganda cartoons is the one about how children are groomed to become Hitler Youth or what not. I think it was called something like "Education of Death: The Making of a Nazi"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was excited when I read that Disney was going to have a Disney/Hulu package.  Then I was instantly bummed when I discovered it was Hulu w/ ads.  I am definitely not downgrading my Hulu to watch commercials. Ugh. Come on Disney!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Should you find three hours with nothing to do:

It's not Chuck Workman's "100 Years of TCM Disney", but most of it is arranged chronologically, for those who want to see the classics in order--

And, for the curious, to see EVERY obscure movie given the same Workman-like trailer-bite of classic moments, with "Flight of the Navigator", "Journey of Natty Gann" and "Emil & the Detectives" given every bit as much screen time as Frozen and Lion King.

So, yeah:  IF you have three hours.  (Or just want to fast forward over the movies you do know, and keep it down to two hours or ninety minutes.)  😁👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disney+ may not work with some products because of high level DRM. Still no plans for Amazon devices either. Along with having to subscribe to numerous services to get what you want, now you need multiple streaming products too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Disney+ may not work with some products because of high level DRM. Still no plans for Amazon devices either. Along with having to subscribe to numerous services to get what you want, now you need multiple streaming products too.

It's annoying that there doesn't seem to be a Smart TV app (I don't have Apple TV), but I do own the two gaming consoles that support Disney+, so I guess I'm taken care of there.  I am more annoyed that the Hulu that is packaged with the Disney/Hulu bundle is the Hulu with ads. That is a big n-o from me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...