Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How Much Money Joker Could Make In Its Opening Weekend

21 hours ago, EricJ said:

Problem is, we already KNOW the Joker's origin, when Jack Nicholson fell into the chemicals.  And that was a lot more believable (since it came from the actual comics), than suggesting that he was poor Travis Bickle, hoping the rain would come and wash away the scum of the city.

Villain origins want us to hate the villain, but, y'know, not too much, or we wouldn't pay to see the movie.

Did you just say a "hollywood movie", about "comic book superheroes", was believable ? :lol:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Did you just say a "hollywood movie", about "comic book superheroes", was believable ? :lol:

Well, only in the sense that Chris I-Hate-Comic-Books Nolan's "The Dark Knight" tried to be 21st-century "believable" with homegrown villains, teenage YouTube Bat-wannabes, discussions of cellphone privacy vs. security, and exhaustive examinations of mob banking to the near-complete exclusion of the main plot, it was easier to believe that Tim Burton's Batman was actually based on a comic book.

(Or, "Easier to believe Tim had ever read one in his life".)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

I betcha it easily soars over $100m. overall & they might as well give J. Phoenix the *Oscar already, especially given *hanks is in support as Mister Rogers

Had the chance to see The Joker yet?

25 minutes ago, JakeHolman said:

No matter what still my favorite Joker & at the time of filming there was huge publicity on how much *Jack got & some believe to this day that's why his peers in the Academy snubbed him

You & others be the judge

Best actor 1989

*Daniel Day Lewis won his first of 3 leading statuettes in My Left Foot

Kenneth Branagh, Henry V

Tom Cruise, Born on the 4th of July

Morgan Freeman, Miss Daisy

& Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society

13 hours ago, jameselliot said:

Sure is.  Personally, I don't see a connection to the "Joker" character in movies and the motive for a mass shooting spree.  But then, nutjobs never needed any rational reasoning for doing what they do.  And after reading what "Incels" purportedly stands for, I also fail to reckon how shooting up patrons at a movie house does anything to improve their situation or foster any empathy towards it.  Anyway....

My neighbor thinks it's some kind of publicity stunt by the producers to generate overall interest in the movies release.

Sepiatone

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure is.  Personally, I don't see a connection to the "Joker" character in movies and the motive for a mass shooting spree.  But then, nutjobs never needed any rational reasoning for doing what they do.  And after reading what "Incels" purportedly stands for, I also fail to reckon how shooting up patrons at a movie house does anything to improve their situation or foster any empathy towards it.  Anyway....

My neighbor thinks it's some kind of publicity stunt by the producers to generate overall interest in the movies release.

There are a few connections. The new film portrays the Joker as a loser who gets beaten down by society until he finally cracks, committing multiple acts of murder, as well as inspiring others to do the same. Since the Joker is the protagonist of the story, some view the film as glorifying this type of behavior. 

Many of the mass shootings in the past several years have been committed by "losers", or "incels" (involuntary celibates, for those who aren't familiar with the nomenclature), young men who seem to have failed in their work and/or their love lives. Some fear that other such men in the viewing audience may sympathize with the Joker character to the degree that they will be inspired to go out and kill.

Finally, the Aurora theater shooting in 2012 was committed during a showing of The Dark Knight Rises by a nutjob who cited the Joker as his inspiration, so some view that as an indicator of what could happen again, particularly with a movie focusing on the Joker character and where he explicitly calls for violence to "get back at society".

I personally don't care. I'm not offended by onscreen violence, and I'm not going to coerced into committing violence because of a movie. And as you say, most nutters don't need an excuse to commit violence. But I'm also not certain that this is a publicity stunt by Warners, as I think it will keep more people away from theaters out of fear of an incident, rather than draw more to see it in the theater.

16 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

It's not about getting sympathy I think, but making society afraid of them. Shootings like this are a way for these weaklings to feel power over others for once in their lives. I agree with Larry that it's not the film's fault if they are inspired to commit violence as I highly doubt that is the director's vision.

• Thanks 1

elfman's score for the first movie was weak. creative but weak. elfman could not imbue his composition with the percussive punch it needed that woulda been child's play for Goldsmith or Williams.

that's why the only track I like is attack of the batwing.

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

"Power over others", eh?  Hmm...  So, how many of these "Incel's" have done this sort of thing and made it out alive?  

As far as I know, it's none so far....  now....

THAT'S power?  :rolleyes: 

Sepiatone

not related to Joker but so what. the franchise came unglued with the 2nd burton film and it has been downhill ever since.

the Schumacher films are an abomination.

bring back Keaton!

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

bring back Keaton!

Well now, a 68 year old Bat Man  would be kinda interesting, eh?  It'd remind me of that old MAD magazine gag;  "If Comic Characters Aged Like Real People".   :D 

Showing SUPERMAN flying through the air, furiously flapping his arms and huffing and puffing out of breath with an enormous gut hanging down.....  An obituary of PRINCE VALIANT dying at the age of  637 or so....  :D  And DENNIS THE MENACE addressing the UN general assembly.  

Sepiatone

I'm sick of all these superhero and superhero-adjacent things.  Now we're going to have a Riddler origin story, Two-Face origin story, Poison Ivy origin story, and so on.

The best Joker is Cesar Romero, a close second is Mark Hamill's voice characterization on Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman: the Animated Series is the best version of Batman as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm just really tired of the trend of everything having to be a dark re-telling of every story.  Why don't we go the other direction and make something that's fun--not depressing. 

• Thanks 2

Maybe the movie people feel they haven't presented ALL the "prequels".  Like, how did COUNT DRACULA become a vampire?

Maybe a "prequel" in which TOM JOAD is shown smashing that guy's head "plum to squash" that got him the manslaughter charge?

And was there a "prequel" that let us in on why HANNIBAL LECTER became a psychopathic cannibal? 

The "prequel" possibilities are virtually endless;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1