Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

Creatures/Characters That Frightened You as a Kid (or an Adult)

I was re-watching "The Princess Bride" and was struck by the memory of the R.O.U.S.'s (rodents of unusual size) terrifying me as a child, and i was curious to see some of the characters/creatures that freaked any of you out. It can be anything that scared you at any age. 

Related image

• Like 2

My father was scared of The Giant Claw. He was an interesting man.

6e0fd457642d8ece80998feeeb934946.gif

The one creature that scared me:

giphy.gif

• Haha 12

You were frightened by The Princess Bride when you were a kid? Why do I suddenly feel like I'm 150?

This is the character that scared me as a kid:

source.gif

Lon Chaney as the Wolf Man in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

OK, when I was a kid I was scared of The horned King in Disney's The Black Cauldron....

latest?cb=20130917002831

That's definitely creepy. I watched Black Cauldron for the first time a few years ago, and was still shaken up a little.

40 minutes ago, TomJH said:

You were frightened by The Princess Bride when you were a kid? Why do I suddenly feel like I'm 150?

This is the character that scared me as a kid:

source.gif

Lon Chaney as the Wolf Man in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Something older that scared me was the winged monkeys in "Wizard of Oz." Does that help you feel more like 110?

• Like 1

Okay. When I first saw Snow White and Seven Dwarfs on Uncle Walt's TV show as a kid, I have to admit the Witched Queen here kind'a scared me a bit...

snow_white_evil_queen_disney_8.jpg?w=768

Yeah, she kind'a scared me alright, but ALSO kind'a turned me on at the same time! ;)

(...AND have been fascinated by smoldering hot sultry babes like her ever since, and even THOUGH I'd end up marrying a woman that looked more like Snow White...okay, and quite a bit like Betty Rubble too...and hey, when ya THINK about it, Betty Rubble and Snow White DO kind'a look like each other, don't THEY?!)

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For me it was a few segments of  The Crawling Eye (The Trollenberg Terror) (1958)

Image result for The Crawling Eye gif

For my son

Shelly Duval was scarier than Jack Nicholson in The Shinning (1980)

Image result for wendy the shining gif

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Something older that scared me was the winged monkeys in "Wizard of Oz." Does that help you feel more like 110?

Not really. Those monkeys had the same effect on me and aged me further back to 150.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay. When I first saw Snow White and Seven Dwarfs on Uncle Walt's TV show as a kid, I have to admit the Witched Queen here kind'a scared me a bit...

snow_white_evil_queen_disney_8.jpg?w=768

Yeah, she kind'a scared me alright, but ALSO kind'a turned me on at the same time! ;)

So did she still turn you on when she turned into the crackling old crone, Dargo?

SpiffyLinearAttwatersprairiechicken-smal

"Oh, look, there's one of my many admirers. Poor baby looks starved for attention."

• Haha 1

tumblr_ly6ia78sjU1qjd6u5o1_400.gif

When this opening would come on Sat Morning Kids Movie, I'd quick turn the TV by the Tor Johnson #3 face! It would take me awhile to calm down & stop quaking-I would have been the only one in the house & was terrified of ghosts (I have a neurological issue and sometimes hear "voices"-creepy!)

After discovering how schlocky William Castle movies are, I decided to overcome my fear & rented 13 Ghosts from the local video store. I loved it, and a decade later was thrilled to see it projected in a theater on 35mm.

I didn't find the winged monkeys scary until watching The Wizard Of Oz in college on weed. Same for the Queen in Snow White. I think her calm voice is particularly menacing-a great call by the voice actress.

• Like 2

Definitely the Wicked Witch in Snow White, and it would have to be my very first movie I saw at 5,  made me pee in my pants!

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Truth be told, I can't recall any creature or movie monster that actually scared me for real.  I somehow instinctively knew they were movie characters and posed no real harm, so I wasn't really scared.  However...

One part of THE WIZARD OF OZ that creeped me out as a kid was when after the ruby slippers magically vanished from the feet of the wicked witch under Dorothy's house the feet and legs curled up and slid further underneath the house.  For some reason that unsettled me.  OH!----

;) And I remember the first time I saw THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, I was down front at the tube and when the spaceship, at the end of the movie, flies off into space and gets just so far and the words "THE END"  come shooting back quickly from outer space it made me jump a bit!  :blink: And I was NINE!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I had a few characters/creatures that scared me as a kid:

- E.T., I was 3 years old when I saw this, on VHS, but still he freaked me out. I'd have nightmares about E.T. taking me to his home planet. As an adult I think this movie is very touching but I can see how I was too young at the time to see it. 

- And like others have said, The Witch in Snow White, there was a re-release of this movie in the late 80s and my grandma took me to see it. Every time the witch appeared on screen I'd tell my grandma I was hungry/thirsty or needed to use the bathroom! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

tumblr_ly6ia78sjU1qjd6u5o1_400.gif

When this opening would come on Sat Morning Kids Movie, I'd quick turn the TV by the Tor Johnson #3 face! It would take me awhile to calm down & stop quaking-I would have been the only one in the house & was terrified of ghosts (I have a neurological issue and sometimes hear "voices"-creepy!)

After discovering how schlocky William Castle movies are, I decided to overcome my fear & rented 13 Ghosts from the local video store. I loved it, and a decade later was thrilled to see it projected in a theater on 35mm.

I didn't find the winged monkeys scary until watching The Wizard Of Oz in college on weed. Same for the Queen in Snow White. I think her calm voice is particularly menacing-a great call by the voice actress.

I remember seeing that opening to 13 ghosts as a very young kid and it scared me too, inspired this nightmare I used to have. in it if I came too close to the doorway set underneath a set of stairs as soon as I got too close I would hear scary noises and if I opened that door what was waiting inside was malicious evil incarnate...

but what really scared me was when the monster of piedras blancas came tearing out of kochek's freezer with a decapitated head in his right claw. I remember once as a kid of 12 or 13 it was being shown on channel 9's 4 o'clock movie...

well sir...

I was home alone and watching it on the living room TV set. it was late afternoon, the sun was out and it was quite daylight out but I was still scared so I girded myself. I got up and stood behind the chair waitng for the creature's roar as it came out of the freezer with head in claw..

it still scared me.

:o

sometimes he could be friendly.

Image result for monster of piedras blancas

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...AND have been fascinated by smoldering hot sultry babes like her ever since, and even THOUGH I'd end up marrying a woman that looked more like Snow White...okay, and quite a bit like Betty Rubble too...and hey, when ya THINK about it, Betty Rubble and Snow White DO kind'a look like each other, don't THEY?!)

At times, when I was particularly preoccupied with the burning mysteries of the universe, I used to wonder how a schmo like Barney got a chick like Betty.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LonesomePolecat said:

WIZARD OF OZ never scared me, but the 80s film RETURN TO OZ...  AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Yeah, Princess Mombi's hall of shrieking heads. *shivers* I saw that when I was  20 and I was still amazed that Disney went there and made it even darker than the original books.

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

For my son

Shelly Duval was scarier than Jack Nicholson in The Shinning (1980)

Image result for wendy the shining gif

Let's not forget that scene in The Shining in the bathroom of Room 237. I knew what was coming before the scene arrived (I read up on the film), but its still an alarming, horrifying scene. [That being said though, I laughed heartily when said scene was reconjured in 2018's Ready Player One, given the reaction of characters in the film to the scene they had never seen before]

• Like 1

I just posted this yesterday in another thread:

Food of the Gods (1976)

MV5BMTQ2MTQ1NjQ1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTc5NjIwMjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1217,1000_AL_.jpg

Speaks for itself !

Tales from the Crypt (1972)

Tales+from+the+Crypt+(1972)_033.jpg

This dog was locked in a closet for days without food. Its owner was locked away also. When the door were opened, the owner was trapped between  a narrow corridor lined on each side with razors and the hungry dog. Then they turned the lights out !

My brother took me to these films when I was maybe 8 or 9. And I never forgot them. And to this day, I have never owned a pet, nor do I plan to, ever ! :unsure:

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yeah, Princess Mombi's hall of shrieking heads. *shivers* I saw that when I was  20 and I was still amazed that Disney went there and made it even darker than the original books.

It's not Disney's fault, and in fact, with some exceptions, the screenplay plays like a respectful adaptation of Baum's books--

Coppola sound engineer Walter Murch, however, NEVER, EVER directed another major film, for Disney or anyone else.  😓