Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mars

Shorts/extras not showing up on schedule

I'm no longer seeing listings for TCM Extras/shorts on the schedule. I've checked the daily, weekly, and monthly schedules.

Anyone know what's going on? I almost missed a Crime Does Not Pay short (one that I've never seen!) because it wasn't listed. I just happened to be watching TCM at the right time. I'm sure I'm missing other good shorts, and I do love those shorts.

One possible explanation is that the shorts listed for August are influenced by the Summer Under the Stars theme - instead of listing all shorts TCM is only listing those that directly relate to the current 'Star of the Day'.  For example, Studio Visit (1946) was listed on Lena Horne day and she is present in the short.  Similarly, The Knight is Young (1938) with June Allyson is listed on her day August 28.  The other shorts that don't have the Star of the Day are glossed over so they don't detract from the theme.

I know that's not any consolation for those who are interested in all of the shorts but that might explain what's happening.  (To further test this theory I would need to know if the Crime Does Not Pay short that was shown had the Star of the Day in it.  Sorry but I did not see it to know one way or the other.)

Thanks for your response. Your theory seemed really logical to me, so I checked it out. No joy.

The short "Soak the Poor" (Crime Does Not Pay) was shown between the movies "Walking on Air" (shown at 6 am) and "There Goes My Girl (shown at 7:30 am) on Monday, August 12. Both movies starred Ann Sothern -- she wasn't in the short. I browsed the rest of the cast and didn't see any other actors that were in the short.

Also, the short "Smoked Hams" showed a little whle ago after the movie "Nancy Goes to Rio." (Before "April Showers.") No Ann Southern in that short either.

I watch a lot of TCM, but I do have to sleep sometimes, and I'm sure I'm missing good shorts. I'm hoping they'll show up again in the schedule after the Summer Under the Stars theme is over.

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that TCM is only showing shorts with the Star of the Day, I was just saying that they don't list shorts without the Star of the Day in the schedule (but they show them anyway).  Last evening I noticed after The Whales of August TCM showed a travelogue on Nova Scotia followed by a travelogue on Brazil (probably to tie into the next movie on the schedule which was Nancy Goes to Rio).  Obviously the Star of the Day Ann Sothern was not in either of the travelogues.  Sorry if I'm belaboring the point but I noticed a few more examples last night.

Unfortunately TCM has always been inconsistent in listing shorts in the schedule, but it does seem especially limited this month.

• Thanks 1

Oooh! Looks like at least some shorts are showing up on the schedule now. Yay!

Thanks for bringing up this issue.  The other day I caught part of a 1930s short with cowboys singing.  I can't tell the name of the short film, what full length films played before or after it, or the name of the group except it wasn't Sons of the Pioneers or anyone I'd heard of.  Anyhow, they were great and I wanted to know where I might find some of their recordings but I have to know who the group was first.  Thanks for any help.