Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LawrenceA

November 2019 schedule is up

2 hours ago, skimpole said:

If we have to have these 24 hour Veterans Day tributes, couldn't we show The Thin Red Line?  Likewise if Davis is going to be SOTM, couldn't we have Death on the Nile again?

Death on the Nile is Paramount, but TCM has shown it in the past. Too bad. :( Great cast.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Newman and Blondell are the first-timers.

TCM Stars of the Month for 2019:

January: Kathryn Grayson

February: 31 Days of Oscar

March: Fredric March

April: Greta Garbo

May: Paul Newman

June: Jane Powell

July: Glenn Ford

August: Summer Under the Stars

September: Sidney Poitier

October: Paul Muni

November: Bette Davis

December: Joan Blondell (TCM Backlot selection)

as usual your on the tcm cutting edge

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Or exes: Franchot Tone vs Douglas Fairbanks Jr? Joan Blondell vs June Allyson?

Oooh, I like that idea...battling exes! :) 

Just now, spence said:

as usual your on the tcm cutting edge

Thanks spence.

How's life been treating you? You haven't been posting much lately...

I'm happy to see Teorema premiering. It's strange, but features good performances from Terence Stamp and Silvana Mangano. I love Sweet Smell of Success, so I look forward to rewatching that on the Essentials.

November 7th is all Cagney, which is wonderful. Does anyone know or can guess why Angels with Dirty Faces never airs? It hasn't aired since 2009. 

I'm excited to watch The Red Shoes, Seven Samurai, The Anderson Tapes, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Fanny and Alexander, to name a few. 

And of course, glad to see The Three Musketeers on the schedule. All for one and one for all!

With Bette Davis as SOTM for the third time I was hoping against hope for a TCM premiere of either "The Bad Sister" or "Seed" which both exist. They are airing the 1931 "Waterloo Bridge" but this has been shown on TCM several times before. A prime time viewing of "The Bad Sister" would have been an excellent way to start the program with the TCM host commenting on her first film. This film also featured Humphrey Bogart in one of his earliest roles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

Death on the Nile is Paramount, but TCM has shown it in the past. Too bad. :( Great cast.

I wish they could resolve the rights issue with “Beyond the Forest” !! That movie is a treasure. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Looks like I can finally get around to some of those few Bette films I haven't seen! That said though, I've already seen over 50 with her in them.

I was hoping this would be the perfect time to unveil Beyond the Forest, which once upon a time was so well-known that Elizabeth Taylor quoted it in Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?, and it was apparently presumed everyone would know what she was talking about. I think it aired maybe the first month TCM was ever on the air (or maybe I'm thinking of the equally elusive Ceiling Zero. But maybe both?)? Takes a while for moviecollectoroh's database to load on my laptop. I"m too lazy to look it up right now. But it's been in some sort of rights hell for many years now. 

My only complaint is I wish TCM would be a little more broadly inclusive of their SOTM's with really long careers. Glenn Ford made movies all the way into the early '80s, but they stopped with 1966 when they just spotlighted him. Just one Ford movie from the '70s would have made it feel a little more like representing the entire scope of his career, I think. With Davis, they are showing extremely late-career Whales of August, but otherwise, they're stopping with 1965's The Nanny. How about just one Davis film from between 1965-1987 to make it feel more representative of her entire career. The AnniversaryBunny O'HareDeath on the NileReturn from Witch Mountain? That TV movie Ron Howard directed?

19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I was hoping this would be the perfect time to unveil Beyond the Forest, which once upon a time was so well-known that Elizabeth Taylor quoted it in Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?, and it was apparently presumed everyone would know what she was talking about. I think it aired maybe the first month TCM was ever on the air (or maybe I'm thinking of the equally elusive Ceiling Zero. But maybe both?)? Takes a while for moviecollectoroh's database to load on my laptop. I"m too lazy to look it up right now. But it's been in some sort of rights hell for many years now. 

My only complaint is I wish TCM would be a little more broadly inclusive of their SOTM's with really long careers. Glenn Ford made movies all the way into the early '80s, but they stopped with 1966 when they just spotlighted him. Just one Ford movie from the '70s would have made it feel a little more like representing the entire scope of his career, I think. With Davis, they are showing extremely late-career Whales of August, but otherwise, they're stopping with 1965's The Nanny. How about just one Davis film from between 1965-1987 to make it feel more representative of her entire career. The AnniversaryBunny O'HareDeath on the NileReturn from Witch Mountain? That TV movie Ron Howard directed?

I managed to see Beyond the Forest at the theater at the Portland Art Museum. I have no idea how they got their print. That movie was amazing. 

I do agree about the cut-off. I want to see “Burnt Offerings” again! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Athos said:

Does anyone know or can guess why Angels with Dirty Faces never airs?

I assume some kinds of rights issue, possibly with the author(s). Is it based on a novel or play? It was briefly on the schedule for the Michael Curtiz tribute, which I think was last year, but was removed. Back in the '90s and the '00s, it aired quite frequently.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, I just looked it up, and Beyond the Forest did indeed air on TCM one single time, not in the very first month of the network, but the first year: November, 1994.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, midnight08 said:

With Bette Davis as SOTM for the third time I was hoping against hope for a TCM premiere of either "The Bad Sister" or "Seed" which both exist. They are airing the 1931 "Waterloo Bridge" but this has been shown on TCM several times before. A prime time viewing of "The Bad Sister" would have been an excellent way to start the program with the TCM host commenting on her first film. This film also featured Humphrey Bogart in one of his earliest roles.

WATERLOO BRIDGE (1931) is in the Turner library because MGM bought the rights from Universal when they remade it in 1940 with Vivien Leigh. So that's why TCM airs it often.

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish they could resolve the rights issue with “Beyond the Forest” !! That movie is a treasure. 

There are no rights issues with BEYOND THE FOREST. It is owned by Paramount and has been available for streaming on Amazon Prime in the past year. It's just a matter of TCM doling out the cash to lease it for broadcast.

As I posted in another thread, this is what is not airing for Bette's tribute:

bad sister
seed
way back home
the menace
hell's house
the man who played god
the dark horse
the cabin in the cotton
housewife
marked woman
kid galahad
that certain woman
the sisters
the bride came c.o.d.
in this our life
thank your lucky stars
beyond the forest
another man's poison
phone call from a stranger
the virgin queen
storm center
john paul jones
the empty canvas
where love has gone
hush hush sweet charlotte
the anniversary
connecting rooms
bunny o'hare
madame sin
the scientific cardplayer
burnt offerings
return from witch mountain
death on the nile
the watcher in the woods
wicked stepmother

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

AGREE! :(

WHY would a WB film be owned by Paramount? And I DID read there were rights issues with the film (in the past). So Paramount now owns this film?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There are no rights issues with BEYOND THE FOREST. It is owned by Paramount and has been available for streaming on Amazon Prime in the past year. It's just a matter of TCM doling out the cash to lease it for broadcast.

That isn't what my Amazon Prime screen says:

beyond-the-forest.png

beyond-the-forest-1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why in the world are they not showing MARKED WOMAN???

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That isn't what my Amazon Prime screen says:

beyond-the-forest.png

beyond-the-forest-1.png

I said in the past year. I did not say currently. I think one of our fellow posters, Lorna, said he/she watched it on Amazon Prime earlier in 2019. Also the Studio detail above says Warner Brothers because it's the studio that produced the film, but it is currently owned by Paramount. There is no rights issue with this movie.

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

WHY would a WB film be owned by Paramount? And I DID read there were rights issues with the film (in the past). So Paramount now owns this film?

Paramount owns a few of the Warner Brothers films made in the late 40s/early 50s. Another one is THREE SECRETS, a classic tearjerker starring Eleanor Parker, Patricia Neal and Ruth Roman. And yet another one is KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE, a James Cagney picture that originally had the WB logo on it.

If I am not mistaken these films were done by independent producers that had a deal with Warners to use Warners talent and for Warners to handle the original distribution. But the rights reverted back to the producers. The films were sold off later to Paramount for television broadcast and home video. And Paramount has controlled them ever since.

To my knowledge, these WB films are now owned by Paramount: BEYOND THE FOREST, THREE SECRETS, KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE; COME FILL THE CUP (another Cagney movie); DISTANT DRUMS (a Gary Cooper film); BLOWING WILD (starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck); and THE COURT-MARTIAL OF BILLY MITCHELL (another Cooper flick). 

I'm pretty sure Lorna watched it on Youtube, but I'll let him chime in yes or no

Those other films were not connected to Beyond the Forest's problems, which DID have rights issues. Paramount may have bought the rights, but until it's been proven, I don't believe it.

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Those other films were not connected to Beyond the Forest's problems, which DID have rights issues. Paramount may have bought the rights, but until it's been proven, I don't believe it.

It is not my job to turn you into a believer. LOL Since I don't want to continue to engage in a quarrel about something so trivial, I will let it drop.

I do think Lorna said BEYOND THE FOREST was on Amazon Prime but I might be mis-remembering. Lorna can jump in and clarify, or not.

My main point is that there are several Warner Brothers films from that period of time (late 40s and early 50s) that are no longer controlled by Warners. This is why TCM does not air them very often, if at all.

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I assume some kinds of rights issue, possibly with the author(s). Is it based on a novel or play? It was briefly on the schedule for the Michael Curtiz tribute, which I think was last year, but was removed. Back in the '90s and the '00s, it aired quite frequently.

It is an original story by Rowland Brown and was nominated as such at the Academy Awards. Plus, it is Warner Brothers, which makes it stranger that it hasn't aired since 2009. A shame too, since it is a terrific film. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, Beyond the Forest was available to stream on Amazon Prime for a long time. In fact, for a while you could buy a digital copy of the film from them for $1.99. Not rent, but buy. It has also been available on YouTube on and off for the past few years.

• Thanks 1