Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gold Diggers of 1933 Bit Player

BJ1

I just finished watching this movie for the first time. At the end, during "The Forgotten Man" song they showed WWI soldiers marching in the rain. I paused the film to make sure I wasn't seeing things . . . did I see Spencer Tracy as one of the marching soldiers? By the way, during the crises of failing banks this year an article on economics mentioned Keynes, I think, who wrote of "The Forgotten Man" of the Great Depression and it's pertinence itoday. I had never heard the phrase but thought how true . . . . . that scene almost brought tears! Did anyone know about that song? Sure hope someone knows if that was Spencer Tracy . . . interesting movie, thanks!!

Do you have a screen capture of the gentleman in question?

I personally think the "forgotten man" of today is the moral man who does right by his family, pays his taxes, and trudges on working hard for no glory whatsoever. The government just sucks this man dry. He's the real victim.

Hmmm, don't know how to get a screen capture. I watched it on TV, not a computer. When it reruns I'll sure get it, if you tell me how. I checked on Tracy's early movies and he had made a couple of films by 1932 so it's hard to think he was an extra, but the guy could have been his twin.

Exactly - on the forgotten man, 80 years later, the more things change, the more they stay the same. What a letdown to figure it out now. Thanks for your response! Barb

Hi, BJ1~ You're right that Tracy had already made quite a few movies prior to 1933. At least 15 or 20! His first was in 1930 according to Wikipedia. So as you noted, it's not likely he'd have been an extra in the background, w/no dialogue by '33.

Understandable to think it might have been him, though, since so many later-top stars can be spotted in the background on quite a few movies. Sounds like a good discussion topic. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Loved the song "The Forgotten Man". I first saw it back in the late 1970's and reminded me of the Vietnam Veteran being forgotten at home. No question the congressmen who saw it help draft the G.I Bill years later because of that film and the Bonus Marchers.

• 2 months later...

>>I checked on Tracy's early movies and he had made a couple of films by 1932 so it's hard to think he was an extra, but the guy could have been his twin.<<

All of Tracy's 1933 features are at Fox, so it seems unlikely he hopped back to WB for an uncredited bit of extra work.

Archived