• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Don't miss WHEN TOMORROW COMES (1939) on TCM

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 7.30.08 PM.jpeg

This is a beautifully made film. 

Do yourself a favor and watch it. It's never been on TCM before.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 7.23.49 PM.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'll watch anything with Barbara O'Neil in it! Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer had such good chemistry in LOVE AFFAIR. I'm looking forward to this one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I'll watch anything with Barbara O'Neil in it! Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer had such good chemistry in LOVE AFFAIR. I'm looking forward to this one!

You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to this movie.  I love Irene Dunne, and I think her work holds up as well as anyone’s from Hollywood’s golden age (and better than most).  I had assumed this was a lost film or tied up in some rights issue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nightbird311 said:

I am really looking forward to this movie.  I love Irene Dunne, and I think her work holds up as well as anyone’s from Hollywood’s golden age (and better than most).  I had assumed this was a lost film or tied up in some rights issue.

I hope people come back on to the thread and comment after they've seen WHEN TOMORROW COMES. 

There's a wonderful sequence that takes place in a storm that is just so harrowing and yet so romantic-- it makes you wonder why they can't make movies like this now. Dunne and Boyer are magical together.

58 minutes ago, Nightbird311 said:

No, it's just because it's a Universal film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No, it's just because it's a Universal film.

Right. Just because something doesn't air on TCM, that doesn't mean it's automatically stuck in rights limbo. It's often because TCM would have to pay extra to lease it, since it is outside the Turner library.

In this case, they felt a 24-hour tribute for Irene Dunne warranted leasing WHEN TOMORROW COMES and IT GROWS ON TREES from Universal. And I'm grateful they did that.

6 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

If it stars Irene Dunne, I'm there.

Thanks, TB!

You're welcome CaveGirl. Nice to see you posting again!

Transfer was from a 16mm print. This does NOT bode well for what might have been lost in Universal's big fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the film. Thanks for spotlighting it, TopBilled. I wish Dunne and Boyer had made more films together; they really did have a chemistry. As someone who has close family members with mental illness, I felt Barbara O'Neil's performance was spot on, too.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Charles Boyer in ages. He's still got it. 

Maybe it was the lateness of the hour, I just didn't get this movie. Was the squall supposed to signify something?

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

I haven't seen Charles Boyer in ages. He's still got it. 

Maybe it was the lateness of the hour, I just didn't get this movie. Was the squall supposed to signify something?

Perhaps you'll want to watch it again. The squall was the turning point and it represented external and internal forces that made their relationship nearly impossible. I thought it was a stunning sequence.

John M. Stahl is a vastly underrated director.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I enjoyed the film. Thanks for spotlighting it, TopBilled. I wish Dunne and Boyer had made more films together; they really did have a chemistry. As someone who has close family members with mental illness, I felt Barbara O'Neil's performance was spot on, too.

Glad you had a chance to watch it. O'Neil nearly steals the picture. What a fabulous actress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Transfer was from a 16mm print. This does NOT bode well for what might have been lost in Universal's big fire.

Ray,

There are better prints of this film. TCM went with a cheapie. 

• Sad 1

Sadly, tomorrow came and went by the time I noticed this "heads up".  :( 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Perhaps you'll want to watch it again. The squall was the turning point and it represented external and internal forces that made their relationship nearly impossible. I thought it was a stunning sequence.

John M. Stahl is a vastly underrated director.

I had an idee that it was a stunning sequence and I am a major fan of anything Universal. You know, Universal was such an under rated studio. They came out with a number of poignant films. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I had an idee that it was a stunning sequence and I am a major fan of anything Universal. You know, Universal was such an under rated studio. They came out with a number of poignant films. 

Yeah, I figured you were a Universal fan since you are using the studio's logo for your avatar.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Ray,

There are better prints of this film. TCM went with a cheapie. 

Shame Shame TCM. Are they too poor? We had 16mm projectors when I was in school. (60s & 70s) I do know how to operate one.

23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, I figured you were a Universal fan since you are using the studio's logo for your avatar.

I am. One of my favorite evils "Trevie" a film about his his boy and his dog featuring the current love of my life = Noah Beery, JR, 

If you walk on the Universal lot, you will see the House of Sever Gables, where Jerry Mathers often wanked along the studio and ate hamburgers with his buddy Larry . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I am. One of my favorite evils "Trevie" a film about his his boy and his dog featuring the current love of my life = Noah Beery, JR, 

If you walk on the Universal lot, you will see the House of Sever Gables, where Jerry Mathers often wanked along the studio and ate hamburgers with his buddy Larry . 

I went on the tour at Universal studios Hollywood years ago but I don't remember the House of Seven Gables. I do recall seeing the Cleaver home. Also the outdoor set for Murder She Wrote.

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I went on the tour at Universal studios Hollywood years ago but I don't remember the House of Seven Gables. I do recall seeing the Cleaver home. Also the outdoor set for Murder She Wrote.

Wicked cool!!!

i always wanted to tour the Phantom set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

You have an opinion about Pernell Roberts?

Love Pernell Roberts. A great actor. He was so much more than Adam Cartwright. He played a lot of interesting roles on television and in films.

This was a weird animal. It began like a romantic comedy of the working class girl meets

eccentric rich guy variety and then turns into a rather overwrought melodrama, complete

with thunderstorm, followed by a flood. The downpour seems like it would never end.

Thank goodness it finally did. Barbara O'Neil gave the finale a little added oomph, but

it ends with a whimper. Charles Boyer does his sophisticated, soigne Frenchmen/European

thing again. He does it well, but it gets tiresome after you've seen it for the third or

fourth time. This has some promise but needs to be sent back to the garage for a major

overhaul. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1