Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When Tomorrow Comes - TCM Really Let Us Down With This Print, Take A Look At What We Could Have Got

I'm not naturally inclined to complain about TCM because, as we all know, the channel is a true treasure for movie buffs. Every now and then, however, after it gets license to a rare film, TCM has shown a print of the movie that has disappointed. Some may think that it's because that's the only kind of sub par quality print of the film that may still be in existence.

That is not the case with last night's disappointing print shown of Universal's WHEN TOMORROW COMES (1939). I know this because a few years ago I downloaded a video of this film off the internet that was, if not sparkling, at least clear, sharp and contrasty compared to that sad looking image shown by TCM.

Here's hoping that the next time TCM broadcasts this film (hoping there is a next time, of course) that the channel will have attained a better looking copy of this Irene Dunne-Charles Boyer melodrama.

TCM Copy:

SmHl9cm.png

Internet Copy:

TSyne1J.png

TCM Copy:

ZHNVUkw.png

Internet Copy:

HF4INAP.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Even my sloppy eyesight can see the difference. I tried to watch I Remember Mama last night and the sound was the problem. TCM is responsible for audio/video quality. Comcast has claimed they are not allowed to alter anything.

I realize what TCM shows can only be as good as the source material. Some of the 30s/40s movies are in worse condition than the silent films.

TCM should not be paying good money for bad movies.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

they're slackers so what can you expect?

:D

Have they ever shown Hot Spell? no. one of just a handful of meager Shirley booth films. they won't show it.

have the ever shown the 2012 restored BFI cut of Hammer's Dracula? of course not.

cinemaphiles produce and slackers do not.

:D

'have a nice day." -Nostromo self-destruct voice

I'm thinking this is because Universal lost their good prints of this and many movies, Paramount & Universal, in the fire of 2008.  Better prints might exist, but Universal doesn't have them in their possession.  Same thing for "High, Wide and Handsome" that TCM just showed.  Looked like a 16mm print.  They lied about their music loss and we've got no reason to think they didn't about their movies.  They're also cheap and care nothing about movie fans or old movies.  Look how they tack on old Universal logos to the beginning of Paramount movies.  I could understand a new logo like MGM does with their UA holdings. But this.  No, you had nothing to do with those movies when they were made!

• Like 1

The better version of When Tomorrow Comes looks to be available on a Spanish DVD (english audio, region 0), but you need a player that can handle PAL format video to watch it.

I really can't understand why TCM has been so inconsistent in the quality of their video sources lately.

Possible conspiracy theories:

- This is somehow related to switching over to support the upcoming Warner streaming service

- Cutbacks in how money is spent for acquisitions

- Providers of the video are holding back better quality sources for their own services.

At least the premiere of High, Wide, and Handsome shown yesterday evening was a very nice print, so also giving credit where credit is due.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

today's SANTA FE TRAIL print looks pretty bad too.......... :(:unsure:

I don't believe there are any good looking prints of Santa Fe Trail available. Warners failed to re-new their copyright on this film years ago and it fell into public domain hands with many mediocre looking images (many washed out) polluting the DVD market. Warners obviously doesn't consider it worth their investment to put out a better looking image of the film with all the other copies currently in existence (including any of the versions shown on TCM).