Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Watching Bette Davis in "The Star" and OMG!!!

I thought I'd seen every MAJOR movie she'd done but this is INCREDIBLE!!!  It is sooooooo GOOD!!!  I'd been passing it over because I thought I'd seen it before, had it confused w/another movie she was in where she played a washed up, drunken actriess that is stumbled across and put back on top but this is a completely different move and it is just......no words!

2 minutes ago, Debra Johnson said:

I thought I'd seen every MAJOR movie she'd done but this is INCREDIBLE!!!  It is sooooooo GOOD!!!  I'd been passing it over because I thought I'd seen it before, had it confused w/another movie she was in where she played a washed up, drunken actriess that is stumbled across and put back on top but this is a completely different move and it is just......no words!

Bette Davis loved to tell anyone who would listen that this movie was all about Joan Crawford's career. Bette said she channeled Joan to get that performance.

32 minutes ago, Debra Johnson said:

I call THE STAR a bargain bin version of SUNSET BOULEVARD. I don't think it's very good by comparison.

26 minutes ago, Debra Johnson said:

Anyone know the other movie I'm thinking of?  Bette is a washed up drunken star and somehow she's stumbled across and cast and I think becomes a star again.

The film is Dangerous (1935) Bette plays a drunken actress but straightens out in the end. The co-star is Franchot Tone . There's a 16 year difference between The Star and Dangerous. This type of question belongs in Information thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I call THE STAR a bargain bin version of SUNSET BOULEVARD. I don't think it's very good by comparison.

I call "The Star" a good vehicle for Bette Davis and she did a great job with it.

"Sunset Boulevard" is on a much bigger budget and Billy Wilder was telling a much broader story there. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I call "The Star" a good vehicle for Bette Davis and she did a great job with it.

"Sunset Boulevard" is on a much bigger budget and Billy Wilder was telling a much broader story there. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

No kidding. Other than an aging in the past star, Sunset Blvd and The Star have nothing to do with each other. At any rate, Dangerous is the other Bette Davis film the OP is probably looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The film is Dangerous (1935) Bette plays a drunken actress but straightens out in the end. The co-star is Franchot Tone . There's a 16 year difference between The Star and Dangerous. This type of question belongs in Information thread. 

Well EXCUSE me for putting this question in the "wrong" thread SMFH.

2 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Not really. It's almost an insult to Billy Wulder comparing the 2 films.

I'm sure you're right. I was referring primarily to the phrase. "Bargain bin version" is probably not an original coinage but it struck me funny.

• Like 1
Just now, laffite said:

I'm sure you're right. I was referring primarily to the phrase. "Bargain bin version" is probably not an original coinage but it struck me funny.

Yeah, "bargain bin" is the same as "poor man's" or "cut rate" or "low-rent". Due to the type of movies I often watch, I find myself cycling through using them all quite often.

• Haha 3
10 minutes ago, Debra Johnson said:

Well EXCUSE me for putting this question in the "wrong" thread SMFH.

How about a Thank You for giving you the answer you were looking for instead of a snide remark. You've posted your movie questions in the wrong thread before. That's what the Information thread is for.

I've also thought that The Star could be somewhat a continuation of All About Eve. Sort of a story depicting Margo's life after Eve stole "Footsteps on the Ceiling" from her. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, laffite said:

Hi Laffite, you're my buddy and you know I love you. Billy Wilder is my favorite director and Sunset Blvd. and The Star shouldn't be uttered in the same breath LOL. The Star is a good movie with a good cast, Bette, Sterling Hayden and Natalie Wood, but Sunset Blvd. is a great classic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Star is fabulous primarily for Bette's performance  but while often overlooked and ignored it is hardly a "classic".

So many scenes I love from the auction at the beginning (I think the poster they show is from Dark Victory?), the drunken car ride with Bette's own Oscar (with fun commentary about Jeanne Crain), the blow up in the department store....pure Bette all the way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

The Star is fabulous primarily for Bette's performance  but while often overlooked and ignored it is hardly a "classic".

So many scenes I love from the auction at the beginning (I think the poster they show is from Dark Victory?), the drunken car ride with Bette's own Oscar (with fun commentary about Jeanne Crain), the blow up in the department store....pure Bette all the way!

Well said;  Bette has some fine moments in The Star and these are worth seeing especially if your a fan of Davis like I am.