Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Athos

Actors You Would Have Liked To See Play Bond?

Cary Grant would have been a great Bond. In fact his role in TO CATCH A THIEF kind of confirms that he could have done the physical stuff as well as being suave and debonair. 

Also, I like Peebs's idea of finding a relatively unknown actor to follow Craig. After all, Connery wasn't that well known until Dr. No was released. 

• Like 5

Is it not anthropocentric to limit the selection to humans? I feel that this model carries the intrinsic qualities which one wishes Bond to have:

FQSmng5.jpg

Richard Johnson (Bulldog Drummond in two films), Clive Owen, Kerwin Mathews (two OSS 117 movies,  The Viscount), Stanley Baker, 

If you notice in regards to Cary Grant he did To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest and Charade all which have a James Bond feel to them. He was the original choice for James Bond, but I read that he turned it down because he didn't think the James Bond series would go anywhere (ironic since it's still relevant almost 60 years later). 

Anyways, beside Cary Grant, I think Paul Newman would have been an interesting James Bond. 

3 hours ago, Paulll said:

If you notice in regards to Cary Grant he did To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest and Charade all which have a James Bond feel to them. He was the original choice for James Bond, but I read that he turned it down because he didn't think the James Bond series would go anywhere (ironic since it's still relevant almost 60 years later). 

Anyways, beside Cary Grant, I think Paul Newman would have been an interesting James Bond. 

15368569765_ce0a62e5d5_z.jpg

d35a48768f6ddf8110bfa400440777f7.jpg

8ec2d59dc819c527ea69ac1a8c517684.jpg

Sorry, but an American actor could never play Bond! Bond is quintessentially British (English, Scot, Irish, Welsh) so an American actor just would not cut it.

15 minutes ago, Forty-One said:

Sorry, but an American actor could never play Bond! Bond is quintessentially British (English, Scot, Irish, Welsh) so an American actor just would not cut it.

I get what you're saying but people also thought Scarlett O'Hara should have been a real southener. British actress Vivien Leigh proved everybody wrong (and deservedly won the Oscar), that a British actor could play an American, why why not vise-versa. 

2 minutes ago, Paulll said:

I get what you're saying but people also thought Scarlett O'Hara should have been a real southener. British actress Vivien Leigh proved everybody wrong (and deservedly won the Oscar), that a British actor could play an American, why why not vise-versa. 

In addition British actor Leslie Howard played a southerner.         What actors do is act,   so of course an American actor can take the role of a British character and come-off as authentic.          

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Paulll said:

I understand your point, but I was referring strictly to James Bond. Of course, an American actor can play a British character beautifully and vice versa, but the James Bond character is so quintessentially British that only a British actor can play him.

29 minutes ago, Forty-One said:

I understand your point, but I was referring strictly to James Bond. Of course, an American actor can play a British character beautifully and vice versa, but the James Bond character is so quintessentially British that only a British actor can play him.

What I'm hearing here is that you wouldn't accept an American actor as the Bond character and not that one couldn't do it  (as in be authentic).   

(and I assume many fans of the Bond serial feel the same).

A  fine actor should be able to appear authentic when playing quintessentially type frictional characters.

To each their own on the matter, to be honest.

I spelt vice versa wrong in my initial post 😂

Back to James Bond. 

27 minutes ago, Paulll said:

To each their own on the matter, to be honest.

I spelt vice versa wrong in my initial post 😂

Back to James Bond. 

Yes,  to each their own which is why I used the term "accept";    In addition how can one say something about a performance one has never seen.

Funny but related to Gone With The Wind;   TCM just showed the Making of GWTW;     It was interesting to see those comments related to the Scarlett takes with the various actresses.

American actor Jeffery Lynn played the part of Ashley Wilkes in those takes since he was the front-runner for the role.     The comments that he wasn't suitable for the role,  as well as Selznick wanting a more experience and popular actor,  lead to Leslie Howard.          

Melvyn Douglas was in one of the takes with Paulette Goddard and  the commentator (voice over from writings of someone that worked for Selznick) said that while Douglas was much better than Lynn,  and handled the emotional parts of Wilkes well,    he was too beefy for the role!       Losing a first class gig because one is too beefy!      Douglas was born in Georgia,   but I guess he eat too well.    (I'm a fan of Douglas,  and now I'm a big fan!). 

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  to each their own which is why I used the term "accept";    In addition how can one say something about a performance one has never seen.

Funny but related to Gone With The Wind;   TCM just showed the Making of GWTW;     It was interesting to see those comments related to the Scarlett takes with the various actresses.

American actor Jeffery Lynn played the part of Ashley Wilkes in those takes since he was the front-runner for the role.     The comments that he wasn't suitable for the role,  as well as Selznick wanting a more experience and popular actor,  lead to Leslie Howard.          

Melvyn Douglas was in one of the takes with Paulette Goddard and  the commentator (voice over from writings of someone that worked for Selznick) said that while Douglas was much better than Lynn,  and handled the emotional parts of Wilkes well,    he was too beefy for the role!       Losing a first class gig because one is too beefy!      Douglas was born in Georgia,   but I guess he eat too well.    (I'm a fan of Douglas,  and now I'm a big fan!). 

I agree with your statement about American/English actors. Interesting!! Have you watched the test scenes on Youtube for all of the different Scarlett's? Vivien Leigh far outshined all the others!! I also love GWTW. Thank you for sharing!!

1 minute ago, Paulll said:

I agree with your statement about American/English actors. Interesting!! Have you watched the test scenes on Youtube for all of the different Scarlett's? Vivien Leigh far outshined all the others!! I also love GWTW. Thank you for sharing!!

I guess you didn't see The Making of GWTW.     It had some of the most common takes (which I have also watched on YT).  

Goddard would have received the role if she wasn't living-in-sin with Chaplin at the time.    The other runner ups were Joan Bennett and Jean Arthur.   Now I love Jean Arthur and her film legacy contains many first-rate films,  but she was almost 40 in 1939 and she just wasn't right for the part,  at all.       I just don't see how she became a runner-up other than her being the most popular actress up for the role.

Bennett would have done fine but nothing close to Viven Leigh.     Viven just had the right screen persona for the character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I guess you didn't see The Making of GWTW.     It had some of the most common takes (which I have also watched on YT).  

Goddard would have received the role if she wasn't living-in-sin with Chaplin at the time.    The other runner ups were Joan Bennett and Jean Arthur.   Now I love Jean Arthur and her film legacy contains many first-rate films,  but she was almost 40 in 1939 and she just wasn't right for the part,  at all.       I just don't see how she became a runner-up other than her being the most popular actress up for the role.

Bennett would have done fine but nothing close to Viven Leigh.     Viven just had the right screen persona for the character.

Unfortunately I didn't see The Making of GWTW 😢. Vivien is Scarlett 😊. Bette Davis in Jezebel was great too!! Sorry for derailing the thread. Back to 007. 👍👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What I'm hearing here is that you wouldn't accept an American actor as the Bond character and not that one couldn't do it  (as in be authentic).   

(and I assume many fans of the Bond serial feel the same).

A  fine actor should be able to appear authentic when playing quintessentially type frictional characters.

I admit, maybe it's a psychological thing, but to me, an American playing Bond is like a Brit playing a sheriff in a western.

But, again, with the political correctness in cruising speed these days, soon we might see an African American woman playing Bond or a fat bald Frenchman with a béret and a baguette under his sweaty arm.

19 minutes ago, Forty-One said:

But, again, with the political correctness in cruising speed these days, soon we might see an African American woman playing Bond or a fat bald Frenchman with a béret and a baguette under his sweaty arm.

Funny,   but I felt it might be you that was being PC here;    I.e. that only actors that are like the character should play said character;      E.g.  gay men should get gay men roles.    The fuss made over Scarlett Johansson.       That is an area the PC folks are going in based on what I see in the media.      (I do agree with you that such miscasting are silly,,,,, instead just create a new character).

As one can see I mentioned authentic multiple times;   to me that is the key.       I don't think an African American women can come off as authentic playing a male British secret agent.

But I'm sure there are American male actors that could.       (just like so many British born actors,  like Cary Grant,  were able to appear authentic as an American character).  

17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't think an African American women can come off as authentic playing a male British secret agent.

After Die Another Day (2002), there was talk of spinning off Halle Berry's character (Jinx Johnson of the NSA) into a series of her own. Pity nothing ever came of that.

Yeah, YEAH! Sure an American could play James Bond, IF that is he could do a good British accent, anyway.

And so, considering this, I'd say it's a real shame that Dick Van Dyke was never asked to play 007!

(...what?!...don't tell you're one of those people who thought his accent needed more work in that Disney flick about the flyin' nanny TOO?!!!)