Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TOWNFOLK YOU'D RATHER AVOID

Guest cooper, jeane

Guest cooper, jeane

Ever come into a new town? And from the moment you enter - your brain is silently screaming "get out now". Something about the locals just doesn't look too promising. Townfolk like those in the movies "The Oxbow Incident", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or "Rosemary's Baby"? Do you stay or hightail it outta there?

Guest walker, ken

The village of Whitewood,where there resides a coven of witches headed by Christopher Lee.[The City of the Dead].Definately a place NOT to visit!

Guest mongo

In the film "Storm Warning" (1951) Ginger Rogers visits such a town to see her sister Doris Day. She should have left the place that very same evening.

Guest son, jery

Ken, you took the words right out of my mouth! Whitewood is definitely a town I would never go near. Seems like so much fog is swirling around. Also, and this is taking this topic to a wild extreme, the beautiful city of Venice was one hell of a scary place to be in "Don't Look Now" with Julie Christie! I've visited it several times and it can creep you out at night, when you get lost in those twisting alleyways and side-streets.

Guest son, jery

Super subject, Jeane! In that gore-fest, "2,000 Maniacs" the whole town turns into one stomach-churning cesspool of cannibals. I think there's an anniversay of a massacre or something and everyone gets a little crazy. This is a huge cult-movie favorite. I wouldn't advise watching it unless you've got a big supply of barf-bags.

Guest olmsted, l

I can't remember the name of the town, in the movie Fury with Spencer Tracy, a lynch mob goes after Spencer Tracy and it's pretty terrifying. I always find scenarios involving religious fanatics far more spooky than any horror movie scene.

Guest r, cyndi

Guess I probably would have run screaming out of "Stepford"--For some reason, "The Stepford Wives" is a movie that has always stuck with me

Guest son, jery

Olmsted, I was just going to mention that horrible town in "Fury", too. I believe there really were towns exactly like that back in the bad old days.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't recommend camping anywhere in the spots from "Deliverance" (1972) for obvious reasons if you've seen the film!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest finnie1, moira

How about that garden spot in the desert that Spencer Tracy visits in "Bad Day at Black Rock"? I suspect that a weekend in the "High Noon" community where Gary Cooper is the sheriff would not be highly recommended by triple A either.

• 5 months later...
Guest odunne, dan

The doctor in "King's Row" was especially creepy. He of course is the one who amputated the legs of the character played by Ronald Reagan as well as sadistically operating on other townsfolk.

How right you are Dan about the nasty and evil doctor played by the versatile Charles Coburn. Since the towns people in King's Row didn't have much of a choice some of them were doomed. It's scary to think about.

• 5 months later...

In the movie "Inherit the wind" with spencer tracy and

fredric march a stanley kramer film about the scopes

monkey trial.The mob scene outside the courthouse in this southern town is being righteously scary and religiously ridiculous!!! Don't ever want to drive thur

that town!!! Matthew Brady scares me to death !!! Don't

give me that old time religion that way!!!

• 4 weeks later...

My all-time favorite A hole town comes from "the Chase>' The film itself is a diappointment given it's author (Lillian Hellman) and cast( Marlon Brando, E.G. Marshall, Robert Duvall, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Angie Dickenson, Janice Rule, Paul Williams) but the townsfolk are a hoot. Near the end of the film escaped convict Bubba Reeves (Redford) is trapped in a junk yard while the townsfolk who have meanwhile proven to be caricture bigots, lay seige. They throw Molotov Cocktails into the junk cars and roll flaming, gasoline-soaked tires down the hill, as Paul Williams serenades Bubba with a guitar as the Local juvenile delinquents accompany him to a tune with the clever lyrics "Bubba Bubba Bubba". As this Mahem ensues, Brando who has been previously ben beaten up by the local yahoos screams down into the mayhem with a grotesquely swollen face and an even more grotesque Southern accent "Bubber! Bubber! I want ta help ya Bubber!!!" Anyone ELSE see this mess?