Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Somnambula

Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

Went to tcm to check movie line up and all choices showed rent.tcm had always been part of comcast expanded basic.so now they move up so you have to pay about $10 more.was blind sided by this move as there was no notice in my case.you get no where calling to complain just runaround.tcm was my go to channel for great old movies without all the commerical interuption.I believe seniors make up the majority of viewers for tcm channel and told comcast cannot afford to upgrade to to keep one channel.this is just lousy mean sprited move and greedy money grab by cable company and tcm should also take notice as they are hurting possible their main  viewer base which I believe are mainly retired and senior citizens.I HOPE COMCAST AND TCM TAKE NOTICE AS THEY ARE KILLING GOOSE WITH GOLDEN EGG.AS WE WILL TAKE OUR BUINESS AND $$ ELSEWHERE!

• Like 1

tcm should set up a live real time free cable feed on this website and charge the added cost to ben manckiewicz...

and his fellow young turks can pitch in too.

:D

Image result for ben mankiewicz young turks

4 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I hope you folks realize a main reason these companies treat you like this is because they can get away with it. They know you will not terminate their service.

And with contracts, early termination fees and retention depts. they make it very difficult for you to leave. So you are the captive audience, and they treat you like it. There is competition. But, most like to stay with what they have and they are banking on that idea.

FYI - if I had a package that included TCM and then TCM was removed then I could cancel my service without paying an early termination fee because that contract became invalid once the package was modified. (This is not intended as legal advice but rather just a point about contracts.)

Apparently Comcast is rolling this terrible policy out across the country gradually -- probably in order to try and avoid the backlash if rolled-out nationwide.

Yesterday (in Atlanta) I was forced to add the terrible "sports entertainment package" in order to continue with TCM. As TCM was literally the only reason I was still paying for cable TV I will be finding an alternative solution to Comcast / xfinity.

Not only do we not watch sports (sometimes we might watch the Olympics and tend to keep the Super Bowl on in order to catch the commercials but that is all) but we are already paying an absurd ogligatory fee of $8 / month for some regional sports nonsense.

Worse though is that we absolutely refuse to pay additional money to the NFL given its position on domestic violence and sexual assault.

5 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I hope you folks realize a main reason these companies treat you like this is because they can get away with it. They know you will not terminate their service.

And with contracts, early termination fees and retention depts. they make it very difficult for you to leave. So you are the captive audience, and they treat you like it. There is competition. But, most like to stay with what they have and they are banking on that idea.

I know this very well.

Honestly, I have had very few problems with Comcast in general. Outside of a few issues when we first moved into our house & then when we upgraded to the DVR & HD. But those things were just par for the course in a new installation.

The first time we really had a problem was when they moved Cartoon Network AND TCM up a tier so I reconfigured my package, got 'em back, got the bill reduced & got more channels (go figure right?).

Also, for a very long time they were the ONLY service I could get in my county in MD so I've been a customer since the 90s but I know that means nothing to the ginormous conglomerate that Comcast has become.

But Comcast isn't the only game in town anymore. I'm giving them a week to see if things change (& they probably won't) & then I'm switching to Verizon. I'll pay the fees. I don't care.

I'm tired of bowing to the Gods of TV Sports (which is what this is REALLY about). We already get charged for crap we don't watch, we all do no matter what service we have (unless you're a true cord cutter), I'd rather tell Comcast to stuff it & take a hit than pay for more channels I never watch.

EDITED TO ADD:

I find it interesting that many TCM fans have zero interest in sports outside of things like the big finals of the big sports & the Olympics.

DON'T CAVE!! That's how they get away with this garbage.

They are also still locking threads over at the Xfinity forums. 

31 minutes ago, mrbillz2012@yahoo.com said:

Went to tcm to check movie line up and all choices showed rent.tcm had always been part of comcast expanded basic.so now they move up so you have to pay about $10 more.was blind sided by this move as there was no notice in my case.you get no where calling to complain just runaround.tcm was my go to channel for great old movies without all the commerical interuption.I believe seniors make up the majority of viewers for tcm channel and told comcast cannot afford to upgrade to to keep one channel.this is just lousy mean sprited move and greedy money grab by cable company and tcm should also take notice as they are hurting possible their main  viewer base which I believe are mainly retired and senior citizens.I HOPE COMCAST AND TCM TAKE NOTICE AS THEY ARE KILLING GOOSE WITH GOLDEN EGG.AS WE WILL TAKE OUR BUINESS AND $$ ELSEWHERE!

Seniors are not an attractive audience for most networks as they do not spend enough.  Not my opinion, but that of those who run networks, marketing and businesses.

Cable companies raise fees or move to higher pay tiers because the providing network (TCM here) is likely charging more for its product.  Somebody has to pay.  Especially when there are NO commercials.

Unfortunate for us, but that is American business model.

11 minutes ago, crecente said:

FYI - if I had a package that included TCM and then TCM was removed then I could cancel my service without paying an early termination fee because that contract became invalid once the package was modified. (This is not intended as legal advice but rather just a point about contracts.)

Apparently Comcast is rolling this terrible policy out across the country gradually -- probably in order to try and avoid the backlash if rolled-out nationwide.

Yesterday (in Atlanta) I was forced to add the terrible "sports entertainment package" in order to continue with TCM. As TCM was literally the only reason I was still paying for cable TV I will be finding an alternative solution to Comcast / xfinity.

Not only do we not watch sports (sometimes we might watch the Olympics and tend to keep the Super Bowl on in order to catch the commercials but that is all) but we are already paying an absurd ogligatory fee of $8 / month for some regional sports nonsense.

Worse though is that we absolutely refuse to pay additional money to the NFL given its position on domestic violence and sexual assault.

Good luck with that.  Since TCM has no advertising and must make its money off DVD's, Wine and other TCM products AND what they charge cable and other providers, you will see prices go up there as well.

Every time you purchase a product that was advertised on the Super Bowl or elsewhere on an NFL affiliated venue, you ARE paying money to the NFL.

We don't do all the various "online, WiFi, etc" methods of viewing TV programs.  Also do not watch them on a computer or smart phone.

While I dislike the prices for cable and all the sports channels.  Remember, the people who do want the sports channels are subsidizing our access to TCM and other programs.  Same with reality, shopping and all that trash. 

Someone may know better, but the problem with being able to select only what we want on a cable system is likely a very expensive proposition for the company.  That cost will be passed on to the customers. 

I think a LOT of the outrage is because it was added with sports & sort of on the sly. 

If you do autopay you may not get a paper statement in the mail. If you don't look at that stuff (which apparently a LOT of people didn't myself included) you just turned on your favourite channel & BOOM! it was gone. And apparently the original poster here is one of those that actually reads those things so I'm glad someone did.There was no scroll at the top of TCM to say it was going to a different package & if you still want it here's what you do.

How many times have you seen a scroll on a channel saying "Such&such cable company is going to scrap this channel if you don't do such&such"? I've seen it often. A carrier holding a channel hostage for whatever reason There was none of that with TCM. At least not here in Montgomery County, MD.

I'd rather pay $10 for JUST TCM. Go ahead & make it a Premium Channel. I don't think that would have bothered me nearly as much as attaching it to frickin' sports.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Good luck with that.  Since TCM has no advertising and must make its money off DVD's, Wine and other TCM products AND what they charge cable and other providers, you will see prices go up there as well.

Every time you purchase a product that was advertised on the Super Bowl or elsewhere on an NFL affiliated venue, you ARE paying money to the NFL.

To be clear: we have no problem with the price we pay for TCM.

The larger issue for us is that we are not willing to support the NFL and its policies regarding abusers.

If TCM offered a live a-la-carte service that was $50 a month we would sign up for it and stop paying the $140 or so per month for TV programming. The only other channel we watch regularly is PBS and we have two PBS stations over-the-air plus the PBS streaming service.

• Like 1

We had a similar dude here in the "D". Was called "Sir Graves Ghastly".  :

Seems to be similar to Count Gore.  Might even have been the same actor doing both! :o

Sepiatone

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

tcm should set up a live real time free cable feed on this website ...

Let them charge us $10 a month. I would pay it. The Criterion Channel is $11 and more than worth it.

And if you decided to NOT buy everything that was advertised on any sports program, you'd have a really hard time with that.

So we pick our battles & Comcast found our line in the sand that is TCM.

4 minutes ago, laffite said:

Let them charge us $10 a month. I would pay it. The Criterion Channel is $11 and more than worth it.

I am not interested in Criterion Channel versus a FilmStruck style service. As for cost, that $7/month price works better for me. Paying 10 months in advance and getting a year is even better.

Sadly Sir Graves Ghastly is no longer on this earthly plane. He died in 2007. But he was an original! Count Gore started in the early 70s & ended in the late 80s (cable killed our TV vampire).

Count Gore is Dick Dysel. He was, for a while, our Bozo the Clown & also our afternoon kid's show host Capt. 20, but his first love is & has always been Count Gore.

He'll be hosting a showing of "The Exorcist" at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring, MD on Oct. 26. He's still around & he.is.awesome. because he's "mine". I watched him daily as a kid then every Saturday nite with my father.

The first time I met him was a horror con that was hosting Christopher Lee. I didn't know he was going to be there but when I came around a corner & saw him I almost cried. I totally fangirled over him. He was the guy that introduced me to horror in general & I told him how grateful I was that he was there & still working & interacting with us fans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I am not interested in Criterion Channel versus a FilmStruck style service. As for cost, that $7/month price works better for me. Paying 10 months in advance and getting a year is even better.

I have no idea what kind of service Filmstruck had. I'm just saying that I would stream TCM for $10 a month.

5 minutes ago, JasonLeeIsAGod said:

And if you decided to NOT buy everything that was advertised on any sports program, you'd have a really hard time with that.

So we pick our battles & Comcast found our line in the sand that is TCM.

I have a discount on the Digital Preferred package with Comcast. It costs the same $10/month as the sports add-on.

I can add to my service online, but removing anything requires a phone call.

I am not in a hurry to get TCM back, but do want to drop the package I no longer need.

AT&T/WarnerMedia should be paying attention here. Their billions of dollars in debt is their problem, not ours!

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

While I dislike the prices for cable and all the sports channels.  Remember, the people who do want the sports channels are subsidizing our access to TCM and other programs.  Same with reality, shopping and all that trash. 

Not true at all. The streaming services that don't include sports are much cheaper, less than $20 a month. Its the other way around. A typical channel might charge 50 cents a month while ESPN will charge close to $7.00 for that same month. And what's really bad is they charge every subscriber whether you are a fan or not.

This is why, for example, The LA Dodgers are only available for 30% of the people living in Los Angeles. And apparently, the Dodgers like it this way. Because they haven't budged. And neither have the companies nor the fans. We have found other things to do with our time.

Recently, Dish/SlingTV had a dispute with Fox Sports. Fox made all of these commercials telling people to change their service. And I saw people on other boards saying they would switch because they had to have their football. Even though there's football on many other channels.

I have had SlingTV almost since it began. And its the same price now as it was then. I like that they stand up to the Sports programmers to keep the price low. And sure enough, Fox gave in. Other companies worry so much about losing customers, they are afraid to stand up to them. They just raise the price again and again. Why do you think they require a contract ? Why do they force you to call them and talk for an hour to cancel ? I will never sign a contract to watch TV.

9 minutes ago, laffite said:

I have no idea what kind of service Filmstruck had. I'm just saying that I would stream TCM for $10 a month.

I never had FilmStruck, but it was a service with TCM Select and Criterion. I would pay $6.99/month or $69.90/year. BritBox does this and so will Disney+.

43 minutes ago, crecente said:

To be clear: we have no problem with the price we pay for TCM.

The larger issue for us is that we are not willing to support the NFL and its policies regarding abusers.

If TCM offered a live a-la-carte service that was $50 a month we would sign up for it and stop paying the $140 or so per month for TV programming. The only other channel we watch regularly is PBS and we have two PBS stations over-the-air plus the PBS streaming service.

One of the best way to make change is to vote with your dollars. I love football. But, I have not spent one penny as an adult to any game, jersey or any of that. Its for other reasons but, its good you send your dollars where you want them to go.

I think that was the idea with Filmstruck. It was a lot less than $50 a month but, it didn't work out. With my service, TCM would cost me only $5 more. And its cheap to begin with so I don't mind.

PBS was part of the reason I started the process of leaving Dish and $90 a month. Those channels are so cool and free :D.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I can add to my service online, but removing anything requires a phone call.

This is so they upsell you & keep you. Which is B.S.

3 hours ago, crecente said:

"If TCM offered a live a-la-carte service that was $50 a month we would sign up for it and stop paying the $140 or so per month for TV programming. "

Hear Hear!    I would pay a fair amount more than $50 a month directly to TCM to support what they do.  I paid the $10 for the sports package yesterday (up to $212 now for "basic" package + TCM, Phone, Internet) and found out today that it is only available on one of our TVs because our cable boxes are old. Of course Xfinity offered to upgrade for an additional $7/month per box.  Geesh. The greed.  The flagrant extortion.  I am sputtering angry and NOT paying another dime. In fact, looking for way to ditch all cable channels and stream TCM. Anyone know how?  

Edited by mariaki