Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Somnambula

Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

On 10/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, filmnoirguy said:

As I understand it, TCM insisted that Comcast move them to a more expensive package as they are charging the cable companies more to carry TCM.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that TCM doesn't have commercials so they have to charge the cable companie more in order to stay on the air?

complain to provider...pretty sure TCM did NOT request & is not receiving any extra $$  :unsure:

==============================

TCM@ Twitter......(today @6:43 pm)

" Comcast made the decision to repackage TCM in its More Sports and Entertainment package.

You can find other ways to get TCM here:

Q: How can I get Turner Classic Movies (TCM)?

A: Click HERE to learn about the ways you can get Turner Classic Movies (TCM).

• Like 1

My parents got their first smart TV a couple of years ago, and in addition to Netflix and Amazon Prime, they can watch YouTube on their TV. i don't think what they're watching is YouTubeTV. It's just regular YouTube. But they use it to watch movies. I don't think it comes through the cable, though, but because of the TV they have? Not sure.

3 hours ago, laffite said:

Not sure if this point has been addressed on subsequent posts, but to mention that Cox Cable in San Diego offers youtube with a cable subscription. It is not complete access though. It may be only Youtube Television, a feature I see advertised on the usual youtube you get with a computer. I don't have it myself but I know a couple of people who do have it. You don't pay extra, it just comes with cable. But as indicated, I think it is limited access but still quite cool when I saw it on a friend's set. My understanding you don't have direct access to the Internet with this, but some part of the youtube is available, pumped through the cable line.

In general this can easily work if there is also an Internet subscription over cable.

Years ago I used to have a Tivo for cable TV, and they had what I would compare to a single-purpose "Youtube cell phone app", which could only connect to Youtube on the Internet (the Tivo already required an Internet connection in order to retrieve on-screen schedules and work).

Ordinary cable DVRs which are connected to a cable account with Internet service activated probably also work like this too.  Just a single-purpose app in the menu for each streaming Internet site it would be able to connect to. (one for Youtube, one for Vudoo or whatnot, etc).  The difference between it needing "Internet service" or not to view Internet videos internally with their "apps" would really be a business decision, not a technical one.

(I compare DVRs to cell phones because internally their programming does have a lot in common with cell phones, and their on-screen interfaces remind me of that.)

The same more or less is true with Genie DVRs put out by Directv - as their DVR also can connect to the Internet for some extra features.  I just consider this stuff fringe and haven't really investigated, as these things come & go and move around as they push out updates, I pretty much just ignore them. (For me it is easier to just watch Youtube videos on a regular computer which I have sitting right next to it, am familiar with, and have full control over how it is arranged, etc.)

The Directv Genie DVR only needs to connect to the Directv satellite service in order for the satellite portion to completely work.  That is enough for the on-screen guides and software updates, which all come over satellite.  The installers didn't even bother to plug it in to my pre-existing cable Internet connection.  With a simultaneous Internet connection though it can also "rewind" certain channels:  If you happen to tune in to a participating channel and want to start a program that has already been in progress, it will stream it over the Internet instead, from the very beginning of the show.  Likewise it can also stream a limited amount of video websites over the Internet, also using single-purpose "apps" found in the menu, as mentioned above for the Tivo and Cable DVRs.

Got an email back from someone at Comcast that I emailed. This was their non-answer answer in really great Execuspeak, which just cemented my decision to bail on them:

Thank you for contacting the Office of Tom Karinshak. My name is Carmen, and I will address your inquiry regarding your channel lineup complaint. After reading your e-mail, I can understand your aggravation and apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you have gone through. This is certainly not the experience we want you to have.

Please know I will do my best to explain.

I certainly understand the importance of finding a package that fits your budget while having the services you want. We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes need to make changes due to contracts and pricing. These price and content changes are necessary for a number of reasons, including continually increasing costs of programming and our ongoing investments in our network, products and services. This is actually one of the main reasons we make changes, as Comcast pays the networks for the privilege to transmit, not the other way around. If we do not restructure our promotions, it would result in higher prices for many more of our customers.

Effective today, October 10, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is now part of the Sports Entertainment Package (SEP) and the More Sports & Entertainment genre pack in the Central Division. It will no longer be included with other tiers of service. Customers who don’t currently have SEP or the More Sports & Entertainment genre pack can continue to get TCM if they subscribe to it. Customers who are already subscribed to the Sports Entertainment Package (SEP) or the More Sports & Entertainment genre pack, will regain access as of October 14.

If you would like to receive TCM and aren't currently subscribed to the Sports Entertainment Package, you can add that service for an additional charge. You can subscribe by saying “Sports Entertainment Package” into your X1 Voice Remote and following the on-screen prompts, or by calling us at 1-800-XFINITY.

If you have other questions or concerns regarding your account, please feel free to reach out to us. We are an escalation department and can assist with billing or technical issues you may be having. If your issue is outside of our scope, we can certainly get you in contact with the right department.

I do want to thank you for your feedback and for choosing Comcast as your service provider. I hope you have a great rest of your day.

Sincerely,

Carmen V.
Office of Tom Karinshak

• Confused 1

This was my response to Carmen:

Wow, that's great Execuspeak for nothing will happen, you DON'T really listen to your customers so screw you. That's pretty much the answer I thought I'd get.

I've been a Comcast customer since you hit our little town back in the early 90s. Well you made my decision much easier. Verizon here I come!! 

You have a great rest of your day too.

Soon-to-be-a-former-Comcast-customer
  • Like 1

Comcast - Xfinity has dropped TCM as part of their channel line up (unless customers subscribe to their sports entertainment package for an extra $10 a month).  Many, perhaps most, TCM fans are not strong sports fans, willing to pay for sports channels they'll seldom or never watch.

It's time for TCM to offer viewers the option of viewing the live stream and on demand content via a stand alone streaming service.  And offering that at a reasonable price ($5.99 would be fair). 

Until that happens, I'll not be able to watch TCM.  I'm not willing to pay Comcast a penny more than their outrageous prices for what they do offer.

Has anyone been told that TCM will again be part of the standard comcast/xfinity package?  I don't want to start a rumor (but I may have heard one....)

cut the cord ... have some control ... talked to an at&t installation man today who stated they know streaming is the future ... and is already here ...

got rid of cable yrs. ago ... right now use sling primarily for sports (espn) and get tcm for 5 bucks extra with other choices thrown in ...

30 bucks ...

plenty of options if you look for them  ...

Tell them to go jump...I traded in my $$$directv for Hulu live, half the cost, and I get both streams of TCM and everything in the Watch TCM app (and fx movies) to stream.

• Like 1

Would love to get rid of Xfinity but they are the only provider of internet in my area. In the last few months Xfinity has dropped the Smithsonian channel and TCM, and of course RAISING the monthly fee. 

My Cable bill went up to near $200.00 a mo. They took TCM off the air without ANY notice, needless to say they will be gone on Monday!

Not sure what promoted all the poor choices TCM has made in the past years, I bet Robert would be SO DISAPPOINTED! Perhaps if TCM would stop showing some the 70, 80, etc crap movies and go back to the CLASSICS they wouldn't of had to raise the rates and lose viewers?

Turner purchased these classic movies for a steal according to his interview!

26 minutes ago, mot925 said:

My Cable bill went up to near $200.00 a mo. They took TCM off the air without ANY notice, needless to say they will be gone on Monday!

Not sure what promoted all the poor choices TCM has made in the past years, I bet Robert would be SO DISAPPOINTED! Perhaps if TCM would stop showing some the 70, 80, etc crap movies and go back to the CLASSICS they wouldn't of had to raise the rates and lose viewers?

TCM needs to show more 60s, 70s, and 80s films to stay relevant not less. Robert Osborn would be pleased.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mot925 said:

Those "crap movies" are now classics in their own right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mot925 said:

I bet Robert would be SO DISAPPOINTED! Perhaps if TCM would stop showing some the 70, 80, etc crap movies and go back to the CLASSICS they wouldn't of had to raise the rates and lose viewers?

That's how you lose viewers in today's TV watching climate. I don't like it either but that's how it is.

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

TCM needs to show more 60s, 70s, and 80s films to stay relevant not less. Robert Osborn would be pleased.

Yes, please. I mean, come on, these movies are from 60 to 30 years old. It’s not like these films are shown regularly in HD and uncut, commercial free anywhere else. There’s a huge audience out there for these films, which includes me, who aren’t really that interested in much pre-1960. I love TCM for its current programming mix. Please don’t change it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alleybj said:

Yes, please. I mean, come on, these movies are from 60 to 30 years old. It’s not like these films are shown regularly in HD and uncut, commercial free anywhere else. There’s a huge audience out there for these films, which includes me, who aren’t really that interested in much pre-1960. I love TCM for its current programming mix. Please don’t change it. 

Not to mention that it's been demonstrated month after month, using actual statistics, that TCM continues to show a majority of films from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. Here's October's decade count:

EFLOrP4XsAgspoq?format=png&name=900x900

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Agreed 100%

Every decade has its classics.  It would be a shame if a classic film hasn't been produced since 1959.

My favorite films are scattered across the board: everything from 1920s Chaplin to 2010s animation.

• Like 1

I pay nearly $240.00 a month to the small little Mom and Pop cable outlet known as Comcast.  I have 5,000,000,000 channels which I watch maybe 10 counting the local Philly stations.  My favorite is of course TCM.  So they pull TCM off my adapter boxes which I have 4 and move TCM to another package...So I call Mother Comcast and ask why...they tell me they did a study and people just aren't watching TCM  and it costs them too much to have it on the adapter units....OH REALLY??? So they keep all the other 3,000 channels ( 7 Tolumndo channels) that NO ONE WATCHES and decide to move TCM to another package.  Every day I see the two massive Comcast towers in Philly and wonder if Brian Roberts could have maybe built two less floors and maybe keep TCM for his customers.  The CLOWN ( supervisor ) told me oh sir you could get TCM on your other TVs if you get regular cable boxes....for another $15 a month... Ok so I have to pay you blood suckers an extra $15.00 a month for something I've been receiving under my current BLOATED package.  They wouldn't be doing this is they didn't have a monopoly...sorry for venting here @ TCM but it makes me crazy that they pick the one channel I watch to mess with... Please someone come up with a simple alternative for content that you can pick and choose without having ten remotes.... I'd tell Brian Roberts to SHOVE IT......

• Like 3

I left Comcast(which my daughter calls "comcrap") 'bout in 2005 for Wide Open West(WOW) which is noticeably less expensive, but not what some might call cheap. And isn't really all that available everywhere.  But I was able to pare down what I pay for by eliminating much of that which I never used.  Now, XFINITY(Comcast with a fake mustache) will offer me cheaper "deals" but we know that within a year that charge will more than double and triple.  Plus they still( according to relatives who still use it) offer the same rude and useless "customer service" that was the reason most people that could left Comcast to begin with. Now, when I call WOW's customer service, I DO wind up talking to someone from Bangladesh or Sri Lanka who calls himself "Keith", but they are more courteous and do seem to know what they're doing. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

tcm was the only real reason I had left to watch TV since it went to the dogs years ago under liberal leadership.

today's TV offerings are a absolute mockery of what american TV once was.

so they take from us maybe the only non-premium channel with uncut movies and no commercials.

to comcrap I say...

"that's why you hate em! hate his friends!...

and that's why you're beaten!

the american tv space cadet can still think!"

Image result for clark gable fletcher christian

• Like 1

I pay $163.17 for TV & Internet. I called Comcast and did speak with someone from another country with an American name. He was pleasant but hard to understand. He willingly removed the 220+ channel package and I'm in the 140+ package. I am in a very small deal. The downgrade reduces my bill by $10. The new package to keep TCM is also $10. So my bill will not change.

Funny how people are willing to pay $1,000 for a phone and $150+ per month for unlimited use.

Flashback to 1967. My Mom left Ma Bell for a new thing called CATV. That's Community Antenna TV. $5.00/month for 10 channels. People who had no access to TV, suddenly did. The local TV guy loved it.

I have 1 TV with the X1 box. My discount is only $10 for a 24 month plan. I pay for HD & DVR. My Internet is 100 megs.

Cutting the cord means giving up many local channels. No real savings considering all the channels that would go away.

Thanks for the comments... Yes we fork over hard earned $$$ so that Brian Roberts can throw around $$$ to all the politicians that let him keep his monopoly even though it's not called that.  Verizon has given up wiring new installs of Fiber even though they promised the worker bees that they would have with forever giving everyone fiber optic....HA....Maybe Apple will grab content from COMCAST/NBC etc....... and offer true choice...I doubt it.....You're right you could do Internet only but by the time you add up all the content services you'd need plus antenna for local you're almost up there with Comcast...Funny how that works huh???  Collusion??? Like I said alls you have to do is look at these two giant skyscrapers in Philly and you know where you're $$$ is going. 

Sling TV ($35 per month) and casting is the way to go as long as you have a high speed cable and a wifi. Your most expensive upgrade is the flat screen TV with HDMI connections if you don't have one. You can cast right to the TV on the newest ones if' they are "smart TVs" they already got wifi. 

Roku Box ($35 one time)+/- Sling or Hulu gets you TCM & On Demand

Chromecast ($35 one time) cast anything to your TV that you can play on your laptop or on your phone.

Amazon Prime - from this, there are a lot of films that you can watch fro free whenever you want or either pay a rental fee of $1.99 or $2.99 for a set so many hours of watching time available.

A lot of times while looking a film up on IMDb there will be a box below the title telling me it's free to watch on Amazon Prime or available to rent or available on a disc to purchase.

Also have...

A Sony Blu/DVD player that is region free ($150) that is already set up for Netflix & Youtube and other stuff again through wifi that I haven't even looked at yet.

And an old Sony VHS player that connects to the TV where your coaxial cable used to connect so we can still play the few VHS tapes we still have.

If you just like to watch movies this is the way to go. If you have to sports the sling package for that will cost you more. I just have the movie package the basic sling gets some fox sports. It's the only drawback.

• Thanks 1

25$ SLING ORANGE ... 30 PLUS CHANNELS ... 5 DOLLARS EXTRA FOR TCM ... 25MBPS AT&T BROADBAND AND WIFI ... 50 DOLLARS ... ONE TIME 32 DOLLARS FOR INDOOR MULTI DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA FOR LOCALS ... 

NO SLING CONTRACT ... 12 MONTHS AT&T ...

AND THE ROKU STICK IS FULL OF SURPRISES ... RECENTLY WATCHED THE CLASSIC WESTERN YELLOW SKY USING IT ... FREE ...

MIGHT GO TO HULU IN THE FUTURE ... 45 WITH ALL LOCALS AND TCM AND SPORTS ...

GOOD VIEWING ...

• Like 1