Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

I thought Directv was the devil for lying through their teeth in there would had been NO CHARGE whatsoever in changing over to HD regarding installation / setting up. Tried to bill me for moving the dish a few feet because the installer couldn't get the oblong dish to swivel far enough. Finally gave me credit for fearing of losing me as a customer. Plus the customer support PROMISED me there will be no increase to my monthly statement per month! :angry:

liar-liar-prod-300x400.jpg

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

I thought Directv was the devil for lying through their teeth in there would had been NO CHARGE whatsoever in changing over to HD regarding installation / setting up. Tried to bill me for moving the dish a few feet because the installer couldn't get the oblong dish to swivel far enough. Finally gave me credit for fearing of losing me as a customer. Plus the customer support PROMISED me there will be no increase to my monthly statement per month! :angry:

liar-liar-prod-300x400.jpg

When they installed my dish, back around 2015 or 2016 I think off the top of my head, there was just the Slimline-3, that is what I got.  That picks up signals from three different satellites.  I take it you originally had a different dish altogether, one of the ones shown in their obsolete category?
https://www.solidsignal.com/t.asp?tag=what-directv-dish-do-i-have

Slimline-3 dishes

I don't personally have cable, because it's not worth it in my opinion. I just sponge TCM off my parents' cable package at this point. That's honestly the only channel I watch, since a lot of my favorite show are on Hulu anyway. 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

tcm was the only real reason I had left to watch TV since it went to the dogs years ago under liberal leadership.

today's TV offerings are a absolute mockery of what american TV once was.

so they take from us maybe the only non-premium channel with uncut movies and no commercials.

to comcrap I say...

"that's why you hate em! hate his friends!...

and that's why you're beaten!

the american tv space cadet can still think!"

Image result for clark gable fletcher christian

Nip, I agree with pretty much all you have to say, but I don't think it is liberal leadership. It is more complex than that. You can thank several things. Very chief among them was this -"Infomercials proliferated in the United States after 1984 when the Federal Communications Commission eliminated regulations that were established in the 1950s and 1960s to govern the commercial content of television." ...from the Wikipedia. It's much more profitable for stations to have six hours of actual content and sell the other 18 hours a day to the highest bidder than rerun movies or TV shows.  Plus there is just the dumbing down of the average American viewer. In August  1971 CBS aired a British mini series "The Six Wives of Henry VIII". That was the basis for Masterpiece Theatre in later years. Today we have "The Masked Dancer"! The smarter shows are on HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc. They don't require censorship or sponsors.

• Like 2

I haven't had Comcast for years.  They kept raising the bill every month, or forcing me to have a landline that I didn't need.  I just got sick of them.

I have Dish and it's been fine.  I have 2 2 TB DVRs (not all for me), 2 Receivers and 1 Joey (to get TV in the bedroom).  I use Dish to watch TCM, NFL RedZone, and select other channels. We have a 150 mbps internet plan to support the streaming and video gaming. 

I also have Hulu (which I use surprisingly a lot), Netflix (I watch Great British Baking Show, my husband watches Stranger Things and a variety of other Marvel/DC shows like Jessica Jones), and Amazon Prime (which we mostly have for the free shipping aspect), but I've found movies and shows to purchase and download on Prime that are otherwise unavailable anywhere else. Interestingly enough, both things I purchased feature James Darren (aka "Moondoggie") from Gidget. I haven't rented anything from Amazon Prime yet, but they seem to have everything. 

If out of all that and my five million DVDs, I still don't find what I want to watch, I use my local library system to obtain films. I watch my films in waves of whatever kick I'm currently on.  I was on a Robert Ryan binge for awhile, then switched to Edmond O'Brien, and right now I'm on a late 80s-90s movies, 90210 binge. Where will I go next? Hard to say. 

EDIT: The only bad thing about Dish that I've experienced, besides when they get in contract disputes with different companies and blackout that company's channels (which happened with TCM a few years ago and it was annoying), is that the satellite will sometimes lose its signal in really bad weather.  However, since I have so many other options to watch, it hasn't been that big a deal. It's only really annoying when it happens while recording something I really wanted to see.  It took me like 4 tries to see Audrey Hepburn's Wait Until Dark, because something kept happening to my recording. 

Edited by speedracer5
To add in my "con" for Dish.
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

Nip, I agree with pretty much all you have to say, but I don't think it is liberal leadership. It is more complex than that. You can thank several things. Very chief among them was this -"Infomercials proliferated in the United States after 1984 when the Federal Communications Commission eliminated regulations that were established in the 1950s and 1960s to govern the commercial content of television." ...from the Wikipedia. It's much more profitable for stations to have six hours of actual content and sell the other 18 hours a day to the highest bidder than rerun movies or TV shows.  Plus there is just the dumbing down of the average American viewer. In August  1971 CBS aired a British mini series "The Six Wives of Henry VIII". That was the basis for Masterpiece Theatre in later years. Today we have "The Masked Dancer"! The smarter shows are on HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc. They don't require censorship or sponsors.

what you say sounds about right but I'm not gonna dicker with my cable provider just to get back tcm.

why should I?...they never even put on Hot Spell for me.

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, hegman said:

I pay nearly $240.00 a month to the small little Mom and Pop cable outlet known as Comcast.  I have 5,000,000,000 channels which I watch maybe 10 counting the local Philly stations. 

Part of the reason they feel free to jack up the prices, especially TCM is they figure many fans of this channel are not tech savvy. And are bound to stick around no matter how much they charge. You're a captive  audience. And they take advantage of that. The only way to vote is to vote with your pocketbook and give your money to someone else.

As a matter of fact, that's also a reason for the rising prices. So many are leaving cable, the companies are squeezing the remaining customers to try to make up for the shortfall. Which in turn causes more customers to leave.

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Sling TV ($35 per month) and casting is the way to go as long as you have a high speed cable and a wifi. Your most expensive upgrade is the flat screen TV with HDMI connections if you don't have one. You can cast right to the TV on the newest ones if' they are "smart TVs" they already got wifi. 

Roku Box ($35 one time)+/- Sling or Hulu gets you TCM & On Demand

Chromecast ($35 one time) cast anything to your TV that you can play on your laptop or on your phone.

Amazon Prime - from this, there are a lot of films that you can watch fro free whenever you want or either pay a rental fee of $1.99 or $2.99 for a set so many hours of watching time available.

A lot of times while looking a film up on IMDb there will be a box below the title telling me it's free to watch on Amazon Prime or available to rent or available on a disc to purchase.

Also have...

A Sony Blu/DVD player that is region free ($150) that is already set up for Netflix & Youtube and other stuff again through wifi that I haven't even looked at yet.

And an old Sony VHS player that connects to the TV where your coaxial cable used to connect so we can still play the few VHS tapes we still have.

If you just like to watch movies this is the way to go. If you have to sports the sling package for that will cost you more. I just have the movie package the basic sling gets some fox sports. It's the only drawback.

👍

5 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

25$ SLING ORANGE ... 30 PLUS CHANNELS ... 5 DOLLARS EXTRA FOR TCM ... 25MBPS AT&T BROADBAND AND WIFI ... 50 DOLLARS ... ONE TIME 32 DOLLARS FOR INDOOR MULTI DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA FOR LOCALS ... 

NO SLING CONTRACT ... 12 MONTHS AT&T ...

AND THE ROKU STICK IS FULL OF SURPRISES ... RECENTLY WATCHED THE CLASSIC WESTERN YELLOW SKY USING IT ... FREE ...

MIGHT GO TO HULU IN THE FUTURE ... 45 WITH ALL LOCALS AND TCM AND SPORTS ...

GOOD VIEWING ...

Sling Blue $25, $5 for news package, $5 for TCM) = $35. DSL from another company for $42. Netflix for $8, Sometimes I have Amazon Prime for $13, $20 flat antenna hanging on my wall like a picture gets 40+ channels for FREE :D .

Roku $35 one time purchase gives access to so many other channels Pluto TV, XUMO etc... at no extra cost. Through Roku, there are literally more channels than I could ever watch. Most with ads so no extra cost.

Because of stories like the ones on this site, I will never, ever have cable. And I actually have Spectrum attached to the house since my neighbor in the back has it. I get mail from them at least 2 to 3 times a month. A lady came to the door just last week. I saw the emblem on her shirt and I just said "no thanks" and closed the door. I will never sign a contract to watch TV when I can watch it for free.

ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, TNT, etc... all show sports. I don't need anything else

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

When they installed my dish, back around 2015 or 2016 I think off the top of my head, there was just the Slimline-3, that is what I got.  That picks up signals from three different satellites.  I take it you originally had a different dish altogether, one of the ones shown in their obsolete category?
https://www.solidsignal.com/t.asp?tag=what-directv-dish-do-i-have

Yes mine is the Slimline SWM setup with only a single attractive LNB, power coupler and a simple 2 way splitter.

wd_sl3.png

516EFrpJ4JL._SX425_.jpgDirecTV-SWM.jpg

directvgenieh6md.jpg

Glad I can turn the front panel lights off by way of the center navigation but is difficult.

11 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Nip, I agree with pretty much all you have to say, but I don't think it is liberal leadership. It is more complex than that. You can thank several things. Very chief among them was this -"Infomercials proliferated in the United States after 1984 when the Federal Communications Commission eliminated regulations that were established in the 1950s and 1960s to govern the commercial content of television." ...from the Wikipedia. It's much more profitable for stations to have six hours of actual content and sell the other 18 hours a day to the highest bidder than rerun movies or TV shows.

Movies used to be at 2am because stations needed to sell the cheapest local airtime to local businesses (usually used cars), and, before the VCR, "no one was watching anyway".  Until Informercials came along and paid all the station's bills and programming out of pocket, just in time for studios to decide "no one was watching" their movie package and grabbed them back out of syndication.  Of course, the single-digit network affiliates were safe, since they had the network all-night news feed.

And that was just the independent UHF stations, that were already struggling by the end of the 80's.  (In Boston, we had THREE stations defect to home-shopping or Spanish-language in two years.)  The rest ended up bought by the new "Fourth-network" rush to create Fox, WB and UPN, until there was no longer any need for stations to create any programming of their own, apart from longer and longer blocks of the news division.

I remember, back in 08, finally getting that big HDTV, and sitting down with microwave popcorn and Coke Zero, to finally indulge my 10-yo. fantasy of staying up to watch old movies on TV, and...it was news and infomercials across the board.  So I put in a library DVD.  😥

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hamradio said:

Yes mine is the Slimline SWM setup with only a single attractive LNB, power coupler and a simple 2 way splitter.

516EFrpJ4JL._SX425_.jpg

Glad I can turn the front panel lights off by way of the center navigation but is difficult.

We got all the same pieces, but also this 4-way splitter. 

SPLIT4MRV_zoom.jpg

Our setup: satellite > 2-way splitter > power injector (PI) > 4-way splitter > Genie DVR/clients.
(Our initial installation included a 2-way splitter as the pass-through splitter at point-of-entry (POE) inside our house.  The 4-way, located next to PI and DVR, is used for wired distribution.)

## For others following along, the PI is a power supply that sends high voltage (21-29VDC) to the satellite dish, and also allows the received signal to pass through to the DVR/client.  CORRECT WIRING DIRECTION IS CRITICAL. ##

From what I was able to gather, not being an "installer", these splitters are also intended for houses where distribution splitter would be best located at POE, with the PI downstream at DVR.  (In cases where POE has best wire access to the rest of the house, but no AC outlets)  
That setup: satellite > splitter > PI > Genie DVR/client. 
And also: satellite > splitter > Genie DVR/client.

Hence the power-passing splitter output to connect the PI...that would keep the other outputs from frying connected Genie gear.  Likely just a few coupling caps, for both the "non-powered" splitter output(s) & the non-powered PI signal output.

Anyhow that is why most have installers put this stuff in.

note: "power injector" is actually called "power i n s e r t e r".  (I know this place tends to attract guttural thoughts and so forth, but jeez louise). 
This 29V one is now the only one they sell for SWM dishes.
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=pi-29z

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I haven't had Comcast for years.  They kept raising the bill every month, or forcing me to have a landline that I didn't need.  I just got sick of them.

Constant price raising is a major reason for me leaving them too.  But, I don't understand this "forcing" you to have a landline.  I do have a landline, but by choice and not because WOW "forces" me to have one.  S'plain, please. 

Sepiatone

20 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Constant price raising is a major reason for me leaving them too.  But, I don't understand this "forcing" you to have a landline.  I do have a landline, but by choice and not because WOW "forces" me to have one.  S'plain, please. 

Sepiatone

It was cheaper to have the package that included the landline than to have the package that didn't have the landline. 

Oh, I see.  So it was better to tell 'em to p*ss off.  Actually with WOW( then, I'm not sure about now) I could have saved money on their bill by just getting the cable/iNet "bundle" with no phone service.  But Ameritech was costing me more for the landline than WOW is charging.  

Sepiatone

I too was forced into a Comcast triple play. For years I had just TV and Internet. A year ago the only deal I could get was their TV, Internet and phone. This year I went back to a double play.

I never used the phone portion. It isn't really a landline but an Internet phone (VOIP). Cable goes out and so does the phone.

When the wine country fires came to the back of my house in 2017, it was decided to keep our real landline.

I'm often checking my options besides Comcast. It is about price and programs. TCM is my only channel for movies. I also enjoy retro TV. The Turner channels don't count.

For now, Comcast wins for price, programming and convenience.

Dish comes in second.

We cut the cord last year.. I miss my TCM..
I was elated to find out they would be adding TCM to a sports package .. I only use the Xfinity app on my Roku.
I called today ... nope cannot have it with my current package. I must upgrade my streaming package AND add the sports package. I'm angry and disappointed. This is NOT what I was told when I called last month.

There is a TCM app but you can only use it if your streaming package is higher than the one we have.
We are waiting for the local internet provider to finish upgrading all to fiber-optic, then we can kiss Xfinity goodbye for ever.

• Like 1

I haven't read every post from every page, but I haven't seen my problem posted anywhere.  Although I am a senior citizen, I still work full time from my home.  I have 5 TVs in my home with the main box residing in my son's room, the rest have the little remote boxes.  I have had these TVs and hookups for years and I could get everything on my Comcast subscription in every room with a TV and a box.  I love TCM enough to have been willing to pay the 10 bucks and really didn't care about the Sports Entertainment Package.  So I signed up, but still couldn't get TCM or the packaged channels.  A tech came over and informed me that packages could only be viewed on the TV with the main box, in order to have it the way it used to be for over 30 years, I would have to get a main box for every TV, at an additional cost of $12-13 PER TV!  So in order for me to see TCM on every TV it would now cost me an additional $50 or so.  So now my bill would increase by $60 per month.  I asked him who was running Comcast, The Sopranos?  Next Comcast will be kidnapping our family members!!!  I don't know if Direct TV or any of alternate suggestions made by the many posts that I have read here and on the Internet in general, but I'm certainly going to investigate them.  I have had enough of Comcast and their BS.  Comcast claims that their viewers were watching only two or less TCM movies a week.  If that were true, there would not be this nationwide groundswell of Comcast customer outrage.  Comcast executives must really think that their customer base is dumb.     

6 hours ago, JoeMastro said:

I haven't read every post from every page, but I haven't seen my problem posted anywhere.  Although I am a senior citizen, I still work full time from my home.  I have 5 TVs in my home with the main box residing in my son's room, the rest have the little remote boxes.  I have had these TVs and hookups for years and I could get everything on my Comcast subscription in every room with a TV and a box.  I love TCM enough to have been willing to pay the 10 bucks and really didn't care about the Sports Entertainment Package.  So I signed up, but still couldn't get TCM or the packaged channels.  A tech came over and informed me that packages could only be viewed on the TV with the main box, in order to have it the way it used to be for over 30 years, I would have to get a main box for every TV, at an additional cost of $12-13 PER TV!  So in order for me to see TCM on every TV it would now cost me an additional $50 or so.  So now my bill would increase by $60 per month.  I asked him who was running Comcast, The Sopranos?  Next Comcast will be kidnapping our family members!!!  I don't know if Direct TV or any of alternate suggestions made by the many posts that I have read here and on the Internet in general, but I'm certainly going to investigate them.  I have had enough of Comcast and their BS.  Comcast claims that their viewers were watching only two or less TCM movies a week.  If that were true, there would not be this nationwide groundswell of Comcast customer outrage.  Comcast executives must really think that their customer base is dumb.     

Do this, just get the High Speed Internet from Comcast. Subscribe to Sling TV $25-30 per month and add the movie package an extra $5 per month. Monthly cost is now $35-40. Sports packages will be more but since you don't care about the sports you'll be fine.

Get a wifi (a one time cost of about $30+) and connect that to the main cable box. If any of those TV's are smart TV's they may be already able to pick up that wifi signal.

If the TV's don't have it (not wifi enabled) but have HDMI connections you attach something that will pick up the wifi for them such as a Chromecast or an Amazon Fire stick they are around $35+ one time cost. 

Best case monthly scenario (if your TVs are wifi enabled) is your paying whatever Comcast will charge for just the high speed internet plus the $35-40 per month for Sling.

Out of pocket one time setup costs will be for the wifi $35 and the Chromecast/firestticks either you buy five of them for all your TVs which will be roughly $175.

Or since you probably won't be watching all 5 TV's at once just buy one Chromecast and plug it into whichever TV you are watching at the time.

Worst case scenario is if all five of your TVs are connected with just coaxial connections. I'm not sure if there is a workaround for the Chromecasts or Firesticks for that.

If you have a smartphone you can cast anything you can pick up on them to the TV'a also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Do this, just get the High Speed Internet from Comcast. Subscribe to Sling TV $25-30 per month and add the movie package an extra $5 per month. Monthly cost is now $35-40. Sports packages will be more but since you don't care about the sports you'll be fine.

Get a wifi (a one time cost of about $30+) and connect that to the main cable box. If any of those TV's are smart TV's they may be already able to pick up that wifi signal.

If the TV's don't have it (not wifi enabled) but have HDMI connections you attach something that will pick up the wifi for them such as a Chromecast or an Amazon Fire stick they are around $35+ one time cost. 

Best case monthly scenario (if your TVs are wifi enabled) is your paying whatever Comcast will charge for just the high speed internet plus the $35-40 per month for Sling.

Out of pocket one time setup costs will be for the wifi $35 and the Chromecast/firestticks either you buy five of them for all your TVs which will be roughly $175.

Or since you probably won't be watching all 5 TV's at once just buy one Chromecast and plug it into whichever TV you are watching at the time.

Worst case scenario is if all five of your TVs are connected with just coaxial connections. I'm not sure if there is a workaround for the Chromecasts or Firesticks for that.

If you have a smartphone you can cast anything you can pick up on them to the TV'a also.

pay! pay! pay! is that all you Saxons think about?

Image result for the adventures of robin hood 1938

• Haha 1

JoeMastro: How are these five TVs equipped? If they are coax only (the big black wire from Comcast) that presents a tricky situation. Roku still has a player with composite (yellow, red, white) cables. If you have HDMI inputs, choices are endless.

Not sure if Joe was clear that Chromecast requires a device to stream from.

I would suggest Roku, not because it is better, but they do have an Xfinity app. You can stream channels in your package. You will use data from your ISP plan.

I have one TV only. In my area, the extra TV boxes are $10/month. Renting the box is 100% profit. That's just wrong.

NipkowDisc: I've been told by Comcast I can drop everything but Internet without penalty. So, dump their TV and find a streaming service that suits your needs and budget. That's why most people cut the cord, to save money and put the screws to big cable and satellite. 

14 hours ago, JoeMastro said:

Not dumb. Just been with their service so long, it would be too much trouble for you all to change to a better service.

Comcast is losing 2,500+ customers a day. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-days-of-cheap-cable-tv-packages-are-coming-to-an-end-as-comcast-only-wants-profitable-tv-customers/   

And they want customers like yourself to make up the difference by jacking up what you pay each month. They are now admitting they only want "premium" customers. They no longer want the customer who chases after the cheapest deal (I thought that was everyone ).

So a $10 charge blowing up to a $50 charge doesn't surprise me at all. Those prices/fees/charges/etc... whatever they are calling them are only going to rise over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 8/23/2019 at 3:54 PM, Dr. Somnambula said:

My current statement shows TCM SD/HD is moving to their Sports and Entertainment Package on October 10th. I have read where this is happening in other areas beside mine. For me, this is an extra $10/month. I can downgrade my package and save at least that much. It just means yet another annoying phone call to Comcast.

I understand Comcast pulled this same money-grabbing trick years ago on a country music channel, but there were so many protests from customers that they put the channel back in. There are so many complaints now I hear Comcast has set up a TCM complaint line. You can file a complaint with the FCC. Also complain to local officials, since cable has to negotiate with counties and municipalities to broadcast. Point being, if enough great TCM fans complained and raised enough noise, Comcast may bring it back to the package where it belongs. TCM is an orphan out there with the Sports lineup. FCC complaints are easy. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-mov-tcm-comcast-classic-movies-bum-rap-1025-20191023-lyx3ssdtsfdxpbaodb47b6l7y4-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2Zmr6AxQWBjSKrYmCjVs40V6PlvjUFeSy-Derz5khgUA1dNFRQhN5qDWw

"The Serendipity of Randomly Catching a Movie on TCM Now Comes with an Additional Price Tag"

An interesting and depressing Chicago Tribune article about the issue of TCM and Comcast.  It also includes quotes from a film critic and a "pop-culture" writer about their perception of older movies:  That they are either boring and primitive or racist and misogynist.  It's not a very hopeful read.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Peebs said:

"The Serendipity of Randomly Catching a Movie on TCM Now Comes with an Additional Price Tag"

An interesting and depressing Chicago Tribune article about the issue of TCM and Comcast.  It also includes quotes from a film critic and a "pop-culture" writer about their perception of older movies:  That they are either boring and primitive or racist and misogynist.  It's not a very hopeful read.

Some excerpts for those who don't click links:

I’ve been thinking about how people generally think and talk about classic films because earlier this month, an interview that ran in Esquire with pop culture writer Shea Serrano about his new book “Movies (And Other Things)” sparked some back and forth on the topic of these films and their value (or lack thereof).

Serrano isn’t a film critic — he is best known for his writing about hip-hop and basketball — and it was specifically his comments about older films that touched a nerve on social media.

He was interviewed by Esquire’s politics editor Jack Holmes, who noted that Serrano’s book focuses on movies from the ’80s and beyond and asks: “Are you like me in that you don’t see a ton of appeal in movies older than that?”

Serrano replies: “I’m with you on that. I watch old movies and I’m like, ‘No thanks.’ They’re not fun. It’s clear that they were still trying to figure out how to do things. Some of them, of course, were undeniable, like a ‘Jaws’ or ‘Star Wars’ or ‘Indiana Jones.’ You watch those and you go, ‘Oh, I see in this the bones of what eventually became whatever action franchise.’ Or ‘Alien.’ [But mostly], they’re just not that fun to watch.”

And...

Nearly all these movies are in black and white and I think for many, that’s the ultimate turnoff. But there are other reasons.

“There’s the concept of: Older movies are racist, they’re misogynist and there’s no way I see myself in those movies,” Lopez said. “And that’s a valid critique. Not all classic films are that way, but there’s this heavy history of, this is what Hollywood spent a lot of those decades doing. So if you’re a person of color who wants to see yourself represented in classic cinema, it’s very difficult. As a disabled woman, I don’t often see myself represented in classic cinema, but I talk a lot about ‘Freaks’ from 1932 as this landmark that we have not seemed to improve upon on the decades since.”

• Like 1
  • Dr. Somnambula changed the title to Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package