Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Some excerpts for those who don't click links:

Thanks for posting from the article, LawrenceA.  Those were the quotes that were I found the most depressing if not surprising.  The author of the column sounds like someone who does appreciate TCM but is dissecting the issues behind the recent Comcast decision, both financial and cultural.  This may also explain the recent changes in programming and hosts, as an effort to reach people who wouldn't normally turn to TCM.  I also wonder about the affects of all these separate streaming services popping up.  How much material will be available for TCM to show? It does make me a little concerned for TCM's long-term future.    

Thanks for posting from the article, LawrenceA.

It's the reason it's imperative that TCM show modern classics along with the past classics to stay relevant. Have very enthusiastic hosts that can explain/show, say an idea or a style or a technique in a film and how it influenced the creators of a modern film. 

Something along the lines of a Film Noir that uses lots of chiaroscuro like He Walked By Night or The Crooked Way shown along side Frank Miller's Sin City.

Somebody who would click with younger audiences and could drive these points home is Quentin Tarantino, he's as enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the kind of cinema he loves as Robert Osborne was about his area of expertise or Eddie Muller is about Film Noir.

TCM's problem is that it has a lot of stuff in the vault that is occasionally offensive and increasingly irrelevant (except to niche fans) to a lot of younger people who are the future audiences. 

On a side note, you got this whole global market out there to tap into and if someone would do it creatively we (old movie fans) could have our cake and eat it to.

One example. You have this huge Chinese Market out there why not use that potential audience to revitalize say the old Charlie Chan detective series but set them in a gritty Sin City-ish Noir Chinatown. You have to create an addictive gritty aesthetic that people will demand more of. Get them into appreciating a variation of Black and White movies.

Do them seriously with real Chinese actors and intelligent mature type stories and if they are R-rated even better. 

• Like 4
On 10/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, GGGGerald said:

Part of the reason they feel free to jack up the prices, especially TCM is they figure many fans of this channel are not tech savvy. And are bound to stick around no matter how much they charge. You're a captive  audience. And they take advantage of that. The only way to vote is to vote with your pocketbook and give your money to someone else.

As a matter of fact, that's also a reason for the rising prices. So many are leaving cable, the companies are squeezing the remaining customers to try to make up for the shortfall. Which in turn causes more customers to leave.

This is cable TV's modus operandi. I had hoped streaming would bring an end to mistreatment of customers, but no, they just shifted.

On 10/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, Dr. Somnambula said:

I've been told by Comcast I can drop everything but Internet without penalty.

Isn't that big hearted of them? Not having to pay more to receive less "service"! (sarcasm)

On 10/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, GGGGerald said:

So a $10 charge blowing up to a $50 charge doesn't surprise me at all. Those prices/fees/charges/etc... whatever they are calling them are only going to rise over time.

Yup. It's the same game.

Two years ago I bent over and signed up for Wi-Fi (prompted by the internet upgrades, I may add) When Slime Warner sold to Rectrum, there was a mandatory condition they provide "low income wi-fi" to those on Medicaid. A lower speed, but low cost. Works fine.

I said to the salesman, "You realize I'm on a fixed income. I can't pay charges that inch up a few dollars every 6-12 months" and was ASSURED the gov't regulation prevented that from happening. Yup. My bill just went up $5/month. 

The actual cost is customers surrendering personal data for the "Mining Co."

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Somebody who would click with younger audiences and could drive these points home is Quentin Tarantino, he's as enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the kind of cinema he loves as Robert Osborne was about his area of expertise or Robert Muller is about Film Noir.

Wow Robert Muller is really branching out! 😉

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

This is cable TV's modus operandi. I had hoped streaming would bring an end to mistreatment of customers, but no, they just shifted.

Nothing will end that mistreatment. They're just rude and see no reason to change. Competition only has the effect of giving customers another choice. Cable is banking on people not making that choice. People so used to the one stop cable monopoly system that to change and cobble together a comprehensive plan will be too much for many to bother with.

There's that old saying that can be changed to "dealing with the same companies over and over and expecting a different result could be the definition of insanity".

At what point will the governmental regulatory agencies (local or federal) step in and do something about companies like Comcast.  I remember back 25 years or so, politicians were promising to reign in these monopolies by allowing competition; we were going to have a choice of cable companies in our area, not satellite service, Roku or any of the other stuff.  It was supposed to be direct competition, cable company vs cable company.  Whatever happened to that concept?     

On 10/28/2019 at 2:55 PM, LawrenceA said:

Serrano isn’t a film critic — he is best known for his writing about hip-hop and basketball — and it was specifically his comments about older films that touched a nerve on social media.

Yeah.  Hip-hop and basketball...Nnnnno kiddin'.  This is the less funny side of Why Millennials Don't Watch Old Movies:

The indoctrination of "Everything your parents did was bad, icky, racist, sexist and wrong" is too deep and too wired into the brain cells, that Righteous Progressiveness conveniently makes too shining golden a shield to protect one from the accusation of Intellectual Uncuriosity, and make them feel all the better for it--If someone accuses you of never having seen Gone With the Wind, simply claim it's a horrible, racist defense of slavery, and launch a high dudgeon of wanting to see it banned, so that nobody be exposed to it!  If they say you've never seen Casablanca, raise a fuss about Dooley Wilson, and call him "stereotyped"!  If they claim you've never seen Fred & Ginger, pull out the old righteous saw about Ginger doing everything backwards and in high heels!

Remember, if you've got a holier-than-thou reason to be mad at the world, you won't ever have to be burdened with thinking challenges again!  😓

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JoeMastro said:

At what point will the governmental regulatory agencies (local or federal) step in and do something about companies like Comcast.  I remember back 25 years or so, politicians were promising to reign in these monopolies by allowing competition; we were going to have a choice of cable companies in our area, not satellite service, Roku or any of the other stuff.  It was supposed to be direct competition, cable company vs cable company.  Whatever happened to that concept?     

The FCC Wants to Declare Streaming Services Like AT&T TV as “Effective Competition” to Spectrum & Comcast

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-fcc-wants-to-declare-streaming-services-like-att-tv-as-effective-competition-to-charter-comcast/

14 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

People so used to the one stop cable monopoly system that to change and cobble together a comprehensive plan will be too much for many to bother with.

You certainly have that correct. I was amazed Gen X-er MrTiki paid $180/month cable bill just to get HBO & TCM bundled into his "service". When I first introduced him to streaming, he found it frustrating and confusing and just wanted everything to "appear" by scrolling through the channels.

He's finally got the hang of it. But I can see how elderly people just aren't going to be able to change, especially those who only know "up/down" channels on the remote.

6 hours ago, JoeMastro said:

Whatever happened to that concept?

Same rodeo, different horse.

Monopolies are illegal, yet they've been holding the public hostage for years by being the only game in town. Satellite is truly the only competitor cable has within the same geographic areas. It's just another way our government has failed us. Obviously, the cable companies have deep pockets (of our money) to pay off politicians & whatever fines they receive to continue operating their monopolies.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:59 AM, cigarjoe said:

It's the reason it's imperative that TCM show modern classics along with the past classics to stay relevant. Have very enthusiastic hosts that can explain/show, say an idea or a style or a technique in a film and how it influenced the creators of a modern film. 

Something along the lines of a Film Noir that uses lots of chiaroscuro like He Walked By Night or The Crooked Way shown along side Frank Miller's Sin City.

Somebody who would click with younger audiences and could drive these points home is Quentin Tarantino, he's as enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the kind of cinema he loves as Robert Osborne was about his area of expertise or Robert Muller is about Film Noir

TCM probably doesn't have enough money to hire Tarantino as a regular like Mueller but I agree it would be cool to have him as a guest programmer. I remember he listed his favorite films and he had La Strada and noir films on it. Very good taste.

7 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

TCM probably doesn't have enough money to hire Tarantino as a regular like Mueller but I agree it would be cool to have him as a guest programmer. I remember he listed his favorite films and he had La Strada and noir films on it. Very good taste.

In the 2002 poll, Tarantino named these as the greatest films of all time:

• The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
  • Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)
  • Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
  • His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks, 1940)
  • Rolling Thunder (John Flynn, 1977)
  • They All Laughed (Peter Bogdanovich, 1981)
  • The Great Escape (John Sturges, 1963)
  • Carrie (Brian De Palma, 1976)
  • Coffy (Jack Hill, 1973)
  • Dazed and Confused (Richard Linklater, 1993)
  • Five Fingers of Death (Chang-hwa Jeong, 1972)
  • Hi Diddle Diddle (Andrew W. Stone, 1943)

Tarantino's selections a decade on, for the 2012 Sight & Sound directors poll, to compare and contrast:

• Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
  • The Bad News Bears (Michael Ritchie, 1976)
  • Carrie (Brian de Palma, 1976)
  • Dazed and Confused (Richard Linklater, 1993)
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
  • The Great Escape (John Sturges, 1963)
  • His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks, 1939)
  • Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
  • Pretty Maids All in a Row (Roger Vadim, 1971)
  • Rolling Thunder (John Flynn, 1997)
  • Sorcerer (William Friedkin. 1977)
  • Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)

And for good measure - Tarantino's picks for Top 20 Grindhouse/Exploitation Flicks of All Time:

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  2. Dawn of the Dead
  3. Night of the Living Dead 
  4. Halloween
  5. Coffy
  6. Rolling Thunder
  7. Five Fingers of Death
  8. The Mack
  9. The Girl From Starship Venus
  10. The Last House On The Left
  11. Master of the Flying Guillotine
  12. Wipeout
  13. The Street Fighter | Return of The Street Fighter | The Street Fighter's Last Revenge ("You just have to kinda consider all three of them together." - QT)
  14. The Psychic
  15. The Lady in Red
  16. Thriller: A Cruel Picture
  17. Suspiria
  18. Hammer of the Gods
  19. The Savage Seven
  20. The Pom Pom Girls

http://www.openculture.com/2016/03/quentin-tarantino-picks-the-12-best-films-of-all-time-watch-two-of-his-favorites-free-online.html

• Thanks 1
Just now, Gershwin fan said:

He mentions Night of the Lepus in the first list as one of the coolest movies of all time. :lol::lol:

"Giant" rabbit stampede!!!

AgedAdolescentGelada-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

AgedAdolescentGelada-size_restricted.gif

OMG! They're going to cuddle us to death!

This is basically happening on the Oregon coast in Cannon Beach (minus them being giant).  There are so many feral rabbits there and people keep feeding them (because they're so cute) that the rabbits are multiplying, taking over the neighborhoods and ruining people's yards and gardens. 

• Haha 1
  • Dr. Somnambula changed the title to Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

I'm not a fan of streaming because it's only as good as your Internet, and mine tends to be spotty.  Frankly, I prefer my computer for work and my TV for pleasure.  I have a 39" flat screen in my bedroom and a 50" in my family room.  Yes, I love Comcast's remote where I can flip the channels.  I've been living without TCM since Oct. 10 and managed all right because I'm in a busy mode in my semester during which I have less time to watch.  I've become a lot more disciplined about correcting papers on time without it.  Also, October is all about horror movies, Godzilla, etc., genres I don't care about anyway.  However, when my workload slows down, I'll want to watch again and I'm debating whether to pay the extra $10 for the package.  Some of these streaming services like Sling would mean I'd still have to pay extra every month for another service and then rig my TV so that it can stream from the web.  I'm now a member of Backlot; I wish that would give me the right to get TCM On Demand. I watch PBS and local channels and need Cable for that.  Also, we have a premium add-on with HBO, NetFlix, etc., where my husband and I catch movies that we missed at the theaters.  It seems strange that I have all these premium movie channels but have to pay more now for TCM. 

• Like 1

I agree with everything you said, Rosebette. I'd gladly pay $10/month for TCM on demand as a streaming channel option. Also agree, it may as well be bundled with Backlot-I'd do it.

We all complain that TCM broadcasts the "same old", if that's the case, why bother? There's a LOT of movie streaming channels already out there-Paramount, Fox, Sony, etc

Let's keep hoping TCM comes around for us with their own TV streaming channel. YouTube has a "web" version and "TV" version. Streaming off the web on your TV presents all sorts of extra issues, it's set up for curser/keyboard-typing on a TV remote is difficult for (ahem) many seniors.

Cut your cable for "local & PBS" and just get an antenna. $50 and you get lots of over-the-air channels, including some old sitcom & movie time waster channels. 

• Thanks 1

so many old movies that I can no longer see. movies! is a joke with their prints of dubbed out words like 'damn'. I'm not gonna put up with that. has movies ever shown air force with john Garfield?

how do I see that now? somebody needs to tell tcm that all these streaming services require fees (which I ain't payin')

by the way, air force is gonna take on the status of a classic in the coming years because tcm must know this because they like to show it on veterans related holidays. a great once underappreciated war film and yes...it might be even better colorized.

:)

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

somebody needs to tell tcm that all these streaming services require fees (which I ain't payin') 

Hey, TCM, those streaming services require fees (which nipko ain't payin').

There, let's see if it works.

:)

• Haha 1

This one will get combined with my thread. 😊

I will say what the Comcast tech told me yesterday. While it may be necessary to take his words with a grain of salt, it makes sense. Comcast makes smaller profits from TV. They have to pay for the channels. Internet, on the other hand, is much better income.

TCM wanted more money. So don't blame Comcast entirely. AT&T is just as greedy. Blame them equally.

There are many free streaming services out there. Many will stream on a computer.

Complaining about Comcast won't bring it back.

EDIT: Speaking of free and Comcast (NBC):

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/nbc-peacock-may-make-their-ad-supported-version-free-for-everyone/

• Thanks 1