Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Somnambula

Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

my kingdom for a free online streaming service that carries tcm.

Free services mean commercials.

Free with no commercials ? You want people to work for free ? That's not going to happen.

I don't have Comcast in my area, but if I did, and TCM were put on the same tier as sports channels, I wouldn't mind it at all since I enjoy watching sports (particularly football and soccer).

Since I cut the cord a month ago, things have been fairly quiet around the house.  As Rosebette said earlier, she's been able to get more tasks completed without television.  Unlike her though, I have a decent internet connection and I've been able to watch several movies on-line without having to subscribe to a streaming service, and the quality of the films have been pretty good.  In anticipation of my cord-cutting adventure, this past summer I had purchased the boxed set of every "Wild, Wild West" episode plus all "The Avengers" episodes that featured Diana Rigg.  I've watched all of them now and the shows brought back some great memories (or since it was during the 60's, maybe I should say 'groovie' memories)!

I've thought about getting a digital antenna as TikiSoo mentioned, but some people I know in the area haven't been too impressed with it for various reasons.  One might be that I don't live particularly close to a metro area that would offer the best reception.  Anyway, my main objective is to save money in the short term.  I'll re-visit my situation after the first of the year and see if I want to continue with this different mode of communication, or find another option for television viewing that doesn't involve the pirates I cut loose several weeks ago.

12 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Free services mean commercials.

Free with no commercials ? You want people to work for free ? That's not going to happen.

Someone online came up with the perfect mantra, during Facebook's troubles:
"If it doesn't sell a product, YOU are the product."

• Like 1

Well, AT&T plans to shut down their barebones streaming service. So the $15/month option to stream TCM will be gone. Now Sling TV will be the least expensive way to stream TCM. Again, blame AT&T/WarnerMedia.

Just my two cents. Could have cared less if channels like MTV, Oprah or The Golf Channel got booted to the pay tier. And I fully understand that TCM is being funded by subscribers. It's just that there have been so many broken promises by Xfinity. They brought DTA boxes into play with the excuse that it was for the people who's TVs couldn't decode signals. They claimed it would be a long term "free" solution. Now they charge $7 a month for each box if you use the HD box. They originally told us that at worst, we could purchase those boxes just as we can own the internet modems and network boxes. They are dragging their feet. Then they wonder why so many people are cutting services. They give us what they want even when they fully well know it isn't what we want. They give better deals for unproven customers. If I wasn't set up with what can be described as a higher number of outlets, I'd be gone already. 

I just came home to find that Gone With The Wind was on TCM yet when I turned to the channel it stated that there was a problem..I called Comcast to find that TCM has been moved to a Sports & Entertainment pkg that will cost us extra on top of the $130 per month payment??I'm not sure why this happened but it is very disappointing! This is one if the only channels that still show clean movies..Well I'm not paying more! 

7 hours ago, Fruitcake said:

This is one if the only channels that still show clean movies.

Clean movies for cleaned minds.....

I can't believe this is happening.  I just got notice that Comcast has moved TCM to a Sport Entertainment Package which will require me paying for additional programming that I would never be  interested in.  Comcast has given various reasons why it had to do this.  Oh well, I guess TCM has one less viewer.  BTW: I'm already paying more than $200 per month to Comcast for cable and internet.  

• Like 1

What is happening in the universe that new people are saying this is happening to them for the first time ever today when people started posting about it four months ago? Different parts of the country? Or is this trolling?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

What is happening in the universe that new people are saying this is happening to them for the first time ever today when people started posting about it four months ago? Different parts of the country? Or is this trolling?

I'm not sure, but I do know for a fact that Comcast slowly rolled out the transition in different parts of the country. People were posting about it for a while before it happened to me. 

I've read that this roll-out strategy, rather than doing it all at once around the country, was an attempt to mitigate the vocal opposition to it. A relative few people complaining each week versus every customer in the country complaining at once. I'm not sure how well that worked out, but I notice Comcast did not reverse their decision about TCM, as was rumored when this price increase started.

• Thanks 1

It's just weird that people are finding this (all things considered) tiny little niche thread, not something one stumbles upon by accident, and must have some vague idea that dozens of people have already commented on this, yet they're not saying, "Hey, it happened to me too!" but rather talking as if they're the first person it ever happened to.

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's just weird that people are finding this (all things considered) tiny little niche thread, not something one stumbles upon by accident, and must have some vague idea that dozens of people have already commented on this, yet they're not saying, "Hey, it happened to me too!" but rather talking as if they're the first person it ever happened to.

Well, I do know that at least one of the recent newbie posters is a real fruitcake. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I must be another Russian conspiracy.

I live in Washington DC and I was able to view TCM via Comcast until about 2 days ago, when this message appeared on my TV screen:

"Subscribe to TCMHD. This Requires a Subscription. To watch this program, you'll need to subscribe to this channel. Go to www.xfinity.com and select Shop/Upgrade to update your package."

As much as I love TCM, I just cannot see paying Comcast more money to upgrade my subscription to a package that will include other selections that I have no interest in viewing. Just today, after doing some searching, I found a Comcast announcement and FAQ regarding its decision to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment package:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/turner-classic-movies-channel-sep.

The FAQ includes this statement:  "Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it."

I am a bit skeptical about this statement but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. My next step: I plan to visit my local Comcast office to talk to them about this and to express my displeasure. I also will tell them that I am going to immediately start looking for alternative Internet or cable providers (Verizon, YouTube, etc) who will include TCM in a more logical and less expensive subscription package.

If you Google "Comcast moved TCM to Sports Package" this thread is the fifth hit in the list.  If these people were just rolled to the new plan as Lawrence stated, it is possible that they  performed a search query regarding Comcast, TCM and the Sports package and came across this thread.

I'm tired of hearing about it. 

• Thanks 1

To TCM - Many of your watchers are elderly and living on fixed incomes.  Your
Your channel has been switched to an “Entertainment Package” costing $10/month

more(not including taxes and your recapable tire :-).   It occurred to me that
an analogy could be drawn between “the Shakers” and what happened
to them and what will happen to your base of devotees with what Comcast
did to watchers.  So ?   You want to hold on to your watchers ??  Suggest to
them that seniors over a certain age should get TCM as part of Xfinity’s
Basic cable package again or end up like “the Shaker” philosophy.  It’s your
choice.   What are you going to do about it TCM ???

6 hours ago, Claudius said:

To TCM - Many of your watchers are elderly and living on fixed incomes.  Your
Your channel has been switched to an “Entertainment Package” costing $10/month

more(not including taxes and your recapable tire :-).   It occurred to me that
an analogy could be drawn between “the Shakers” and what happened
to them and what will happen to your base of devotees with what Comcast
did to watchers.  So ?   You want to hold on to your watchers ??  Suggest to
them that seniors over a certain age should get TCM as part of Xfinity’s
Basic cable package again or end up like “the Shaker” philosophy.  It’s your
choice.   What are you going to do about it TCM ???

nothing! they failed to show Hot Spell for me.

New to this forum-

Was hoping that TCM would step up and try to work with Comcast but that doesn't look like that's going to happen.  Do the powers that be have and input?  Their channel is now part of a Sports & "entertainment"package - it's the only movie channel with 9 or 11 sports channels.  I'm fortunate to be able to afford TCM...have had it since it began.

The other demographic that's losing TCM  (can't afford it &  limited cable access),  are nursing homes, hospitals and ALFs.  I work for mobile eye care practice that services these facilities-most residents watch TCM.  My mother, a loyal viewer, is in a nursing home..TCM has been on 24/7.  I visit her every night - since Comcast cancelled TCM, she's been more more restless and depressed -I know it sounds dramatic ...for some, it's the only stimulation they have..positve- it's soothing- these folks can relate to movies that were part of their lives.   The staff has noticed similar changes  in other residents as well.   I've contacted the facility director several times regarding this issue...no dice.   Asked if I could pay for a streaming device (not sure how to set up) said I need special permission...

It's a shame that these loyal viewers who were there for TCM 25 years ago, no longer can afford or have access to their channel.

Thank you for letting me to vent.

The plague finally hit Dover last weekend.  I had TCM Friday night when I went to bed.  I came back Saturday afternoon and my television informed me that I no longer have a TCM subscription.  I acquiesce and eventually did the upgrade on Monday morning.  The bright side about this fiasco as I was waiting in the Xfininty store four people with the similar problem of losing TCM were in line as well.  We talked movies and how much we love the TCM channel. 

Someone in TCM Nation should know of an outlet(s) which has TCM so we can cut the chord and pay for cable television channels which we actually watch without paying for a lot of channels which are part of a package which we never watch or knew we had access to.  By the way, part of my new cable channel package is four channels of ScreenPix and I am not at all impressed with what they have to offer.    

I understand how you feel. I have been on a vacation out of state and most motels have HBO type channels but it's very hard to find any that offer TCM to their guests. And the kicker is that if CAN FIND the magic WI-FI spot in your motel room it magically disappears. I carry my laptop and an HDMI cord to hook up to motel flat screens but sometimes the tv remote won't let you select the proper input so you can watch TCM from you computer. 

This is absolutely ridiculous. Whenever I make a call to Comcast, they thank me for being such a long term “valued” customer since it’s been our cable service going back to the 90’s. TCM WAS one of my favorite channels.  It’s been a busy year so I hadn’t realized that my favorite actors were not being recorded on my DVR.  I was sorely disappointed when I learned that I had to pay for a different package for TCM.  Why it’s part of a sports package is beyond me but I will not be subscribing to it.  I watched TCM more than I watched premium channels such as HBO.  We already pay more than the average family for Comcast and this will be a reason why I will be looking towards streaming apps. Thank you for helping me make up my mind about sticking with a traditional service or join the rest of the world and watch shows via Prime/Netflix/Hulu/Vudu/Roku/Tubi etc to name a few.  You’re up against fast, up and coming entertainment services. You thank me for being a valued customer yet you’re not doing much to make me a happy customer.

1) I don't understand why posts are directed toward Comcast, yet posted on the TCM board.

2) WHY IS THE FONT SO BIG? Ugh!

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

1) I don't understand why posts are directed toward Comcast, yet posted on the TCM board.

At least here, someone will actually read it. And  a person might find others in the same situation.

And not feel so bad.

I've forgotten after eight pages of this. Did anyone just take the new package for $10 more/month? And, if so, are you happy with it?

• Thanks 1