Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whose first movie was it?

On 6/18/2021 at 7:53 PM, Peebs said:

Hi MrMagoo,  I think the general rule (for lack of a better term) for this thread is to go with the first credited role. Good to know that Debra McMichael got her big break in Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Next Generation! 😊

John David Washington's (Denzel's son) first movie was Malcolm X

Next:  The Butler's Night Off(1951)

I like your idea. I've found the credited vs uncredited role thing to be a bit tedious.

I'll go with first credited role from now on.

However, I bet if any of us ever caught up with Renee Zellweger and asked her what was the first movie she was in she would say DAZED AND CONFUSED. She's a big star and that's become a bit of a classic (bit...just a bit). I'm not so sure she wouldn't cringe a little if she had to admit her debut role was in TCM:NEXT GENERATION. 

Overall, I don't think it makes one whit of difference whether we go with credited or uncredited. This isn't life or death. Carry On!

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Ovrall, I don't think it makes one whit of difference whether we go with credited or uncredited. This isn't life or death. Carry On!

Completely agree, Mr.Magoo.  Online trivia games aren't life and death.  These threads are just for fun and I tried to write it without sounding like a finger wagging.  A few months ago, I had asked one of the more experienced posters to clarify because sometimes people put the first role while others went with the first credited role.  I found it helpful when playing and it saved time when looking up a movie.  I apologize if it sounded like scolding.

Speaking of carrying on, would you like to post the next answer? 😊

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Completely agree, Mr.Magoo.  Online trivia games aren't life and death.  These threads are just for fun and I tried to write it without sounding like a finger wagging.  A few months ago, I had asked one of the more experienced posters to clarify because sometimes people put the first role while others went with the first credited role.  I found it helpful when playing and it saved time when looking up a movie.  I guess you didn't ask and didn't appreciate unsolicited advice.  

Speaking of carrying on, would you like to post the next answer? 😊

It was Marsha Mason. I typed it out and forgot to send. I have a soft spot for the film BLUME IN LOVE with her and the late George Segal. I always thought that movie was a bit underappreciated.

I also put in a new query.....who's first film was NEVER LOVE A STRANGER (1958).

I'm getting up there and sometimes forget to "send".

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Vitina Marcus ?

Next:  Live, Love and Learn (1937)

Interesting. Yes, it was her first but it wasn't who I was looking for.  Her name isn't familiar to me but several of her films are. THE LOST WORLD (1960) for instance. An Irwin Allen piece that I saw when I was 9 years old on the day that Lee Harvey Oswald was shot. That's why I always remember it. It scared me to death when the guy gets eaten by the giant gila monster that rises up out of the molten lava and grabs him. 

Actually, I was trying to be a smart alec as the actor I'm looking for was much more famous than Vitina Marcus and NEVER LOVE A STRANGER was his first "credited" role though he had several uncredited roles in much better, earlier films. 

He was "The King of Cool".  Care to try again?

As for LIVE,LOVE AND LEARN I will say Monty Woolley. A recognizable character actor with a name that was not so much. Incidentally, while researching your question I noted that another actor in that film, E.E. Clive, was in 17 movies in 1937. It was the studio era...but that's pretty busy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrMagoo said:

Interesting. Yes, it was her first but it wasn't who I was looking for.  Her name isn't familiar to me but several of her films are. THE LOST WORLD (1960) for instance. An Irwin Allen piece that I saw when I was 9 years old on the day that Lee Harvey Oswald was shot. That's why I always remember it. It scared me to death when the guy gets eaten by the giant gila monster that rises up out of the molten lava and grabs him. 

Actually, I was trying to be a smart alec as the actor I'm looking for was much more famous than Vitina Marcus and NEVER LOVE A STRANGER was his first "credited" role though he had several uncredited roles in much better, earlier films. 

He was "The King of Cool".  Care to try again?

As for LIVE,LOVE AND LEARN I will say Monty Woolley. A recognizable character actor with a name that was not so much. Incidentally, while researching your question I noted that another actor in that film, E.E. Clive, was in 17 movies in 1937. It was the studio era...but that's pretty busy.

Ahh, of course... Steve McQueen.  You're right, I remember him from Somebody Up There Likes Me but I didn't realize he wasn't credited. 

Yep, Monty Woolley's first role was in Live, Love and Learn.

Your turn, MrMagoo.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Ahh, of course... Steve McQueen.  You're right, I remember him from Somebody Up There Likes Me but I didn't realize he wasn't credited. 

Yep, Monty Woolley's first role was in Live, Love and Learn.

Your turn, MrMagoo.

THE DEVIL'S RAIN (1975)

11 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

John  Travolta  next:  Prime  Cut  1972

Sissy Spacek debuted in PRIME CUT. I thought it was a pretty good movie too. 

Next: THE MOB (1951)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Richard  Kiley  next:   The  Valley  of  Decision  1916  (  two stars  make  their  debut)

John Marley also debuted in that film. He was my target, but Kiley is good too.

Valley of Decision??? 1916? Constance, Joan, Blanche and Barbara Bennett all made their first movie appearances in this film. I've never heard of it and I'm assuming these Bennetts were related somehow. Do you have a backstory? 

Next: COURT MARTIAL (1954)

31 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Elizabeth Montgomery (I assume you meant the THE COURT-MARTIAL OF BILLY MITCHELL.)

Next: DRAGON SEED (1944)

Nope. COURT MARTIAL starred David Niven, 1954. Another fine British actor made his/her debut in this film. Try again.

As for DRAGON SEED, I'll go with Jaqueline deWit who is a familiar face but not so much a name to me.

Anybody know about all those Bennetts in the 1916 film, VALLEY OF DECISION? There were 5 in that movie. Were they all related?

5 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Anybody know about all those Bennetts in the 1916 film, VALLEY OF DECISION? There were 5 in that movie. Were they all related?

Yes, the Bennetts were an acting family.  Though I think the mother kept her maiden name as her stage name.

• Like 2

For DRAGON SEED, I was going for Hurd Hatfield.

I do not know whose first film was COURT MARTIAL (1954).

So I will defer that someone else, to provide the correct answer.

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

For DRAGON SEED, I was going for Hurd Hatfield.

I do not know whose first film was COURT MARTIAL (1954).

So I will defer that someone else, to provide the correct answer.

Hint: British actor who later had a significant supporting role in George C. Scott's Best Actor Oscar winning film. 

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Michael  Bates  (  played  Field  Marshall  Montgomery  in  Patton)  next:  Johnny  Belinda  1948

Jan Sterling's debut was JOHNNY BELINDA.

Next: 1941 (1979). I have one in mind but I know there are at least 2 well known performers who had their first credited roles in this comedy.

1 hour ago, cinemaman said:

Mickey  Rourke  and  Michael  McKean  next:  Mystic  Piazza  1988

And....Patti Lupone also debuted in 1941. That's actually 3!  Wow...that casting director had an eye for talent. A trifecta!

Matt Damon's first film was MYSTIC PIZZA. You know? I live in CT and have been to Mystic a hundred times and probably had pizza there....but I've never actually seen MYSTIC PIZZA.

Next: JAWS (1975)

• Like 2
12 hours ago, cinemaman said:

Lorraine  Gary   next:   The  Young   Runaways  1968

Richard Dreyfuss

Next: THE LAST DETAIL (1973)

• Like 1