Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Valerie Harper 1939-2019

On 9/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, Nightbird311 said:

I am old enough to have watched the MTM show in its original run, and a few years ago I rewatched the entire series on DVD, and boy did it hold up beautifully.  Such a fantastic cast and brilliant writing.

I have the same experience. ! was 10-16 first time around & thought it was funny. Then re-watched it a few summers ago, now in my mid 50's still found it funny. Hilarious actually.

I'm very heartened younger generations were exposed to these great classic shows on Nick At Night, and it's a testament to their quality they still entertain new generations of fans.

• Like 1
On 9/4/2019 at 12:17 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I'd say Rhoda played a pretty big role in this one and had some of her best lines in it....

"I wonder if shy people shop here" (said while holding up a sheer, see-through pair of pants)

"12 years ago, I was sitting at a party like this, drinking wine out of a paper cup like this. You've come a long way baby"

(over snow angels which Mary tried to justify by saying "Come on they did it in Love Story!") "great. Maybe somebody will mistake me for Ali Macgraw: Terminal but Cute."

"If the wine has a cute name, he's under 30." (over Peter Strauss's age) Reads the label aloud "Granny's Apple Pizazz"

You’re right. I underestimated Rhoda’s contribution. I suppose it’s because the main conflict of the story is Mary’s age difference between herself and Steven. Rhoda does have a lot of excellent lines.   

I also enjoyed the “you’ve come a long way, baby” quote as well. I also liked when she threatened her fern to not get too friendly with Mary’s plants. 

I also laugh when she’s shaking Peter Strauss’ hand and says: “forgive my foliage.” 

STONER: “We could go downtown and goof on people”

RHODA: ”goof on people? What’s that?”

STONER: “You know. Walk around. Act Weird. Hope somebody notices.”

RHODA: “That’s my life, kid.” 

“Angels in the Snow” is a great episode all around. 

LOU: Mary, your young man, is a YOUNG MAN.

I don’t want to know about “Granny’s Apple Pizzazz.” That sounds like it’d be a terrible flavor in the Boone’s Farm or Arbor Mist product lines. Way too sweet. Blech. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/4/2019 at 9:55 PM, noah80 said:

That's a nice intro but "Kate & Allie" was actually filmed in NYC! Another great duo and episode.  All about the election of 1984.

Yes, Kate & Allie felt a bit more authentic.

Another sitcom about single working women in NYC was Gimme a Break! with Nell Carter and Telma Hopkins. For the show's sixth and final season, they moved Carter & Hopkins from a small north California town to the Big Apple. Though the series was still taped in Hollywood, they did film the opening sequence in NYC.

33 minutes ago, noah80 said:

I don't know any other sitcoms that were taped in NYC.  Even "Friends" was taped in Hollywood.  Susan Saint James and Jane Curtin were grateful that they didn't have to move to California.

I think some of the Burns & Allen radio shows were done in New York, and there was an arc during one of the seasons of the television version, where they went to the Waldorf Astoria and I think those may have been done on location. But I'm not an expert on the series.

I never heard of Nick at Nite until a few years ago and I certainly never saw any of its programming. But I did see The Mary Tyler Moore Show during its original television run in the early to mid '70s.

Due to its cast and the intelligence of its writing, along with the fact that this was a TV sitcom that actually developed and matured some its characters as the seasons passed, it gradually became my favourite show at the time. My two favourite characters on the show were, without doubt, Rhoda and Lou Grant. Lou never left the series, thank goodness, going on to have his own series once the show expired. But the show lost something, I felt, when Rhoda left it, though it still remained a strong program.

Valerie Harper as Rhoda was funny and someone with whom audience members could identify. But, who's kidding who, despite Rhoda's constant self put downs, we all knew that she was a beautiful woman. At least, I thought she was, and I used to fantasize a bit about meeting a girl like her. Valerie Harper's warmth and vivacious personality, along with that killer smile had a lot to do with it.

So, now all these yeas later, I feel a sadness at Harper's passing. With Harper now joining other cast members of my favourite show of the '70s, Georgia Engel, Ted Knight and, of course, Mary Tyler Moore (who I also loved wearing her capri pants on The Dick Van Dyke Show), I'm very aware of the passage of time as only someone who "knew" them all when they were young can feel. I become, in the process, as I mourn the loss of Ms. Harper, a little more aware of my own mortality (not that I plan on going anywhere for some time, folks).

• Like 3
On 9/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, TomJH said:

But the show lost something, I felt, when Rhoda left it, though it still remained a strong program.

Absolutely. The focus shifted from Mary's personal life to Mary's life at the office. There still were storylines of her dating, but it was incredibly funny when Mary & Rhoda double dated. I never saw anything as funny as the early double date with the two "wild & crazy guys". Lord almighty, I've had my share of those!

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Absolutely. The focus shifted from Mary's personal life to Mary's life at the office. There still were storylines of her dating, but it was incredibly funny when Mary & Rhoda double dated. I never saw anything as funny as the early double date with the two "wild & crazy guys". Lord almighty, I've had my share of those!

latest?cb=20140804162910

"And do you remember that time we went out with TikiSoo, and we told her we could out chug her with any beer? Boy, were we wrong!"

• Haha 1
On 9/7/2019 at 12:09 PM, TopBilled said:

I think some of the Burns & Allen radio shows were done in New York, and there was an arc during one of the seasons of the television version, where they went to the Waldorf Astoria and I think those may have been done on location. But I'm not an expert on the series.

CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU? was filmed at Biograph Studios in the Bronx, 1961-63. There are a lot of notable guest stars from the theater world of the era, including (off the top of my head) Nathaniel Frey, Hal Linden, Charles Nelson Riley, Molly Picon, and Maureen Stapleton.

• Like 2