Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Halloween Schedule Disappointment

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I haven't seen Vampire Lesbian Kickboxers. Is it as good as Lesbian Vampire Killers (2009), or as bad as Lust for Dracula (2004)?

I am sorry to say that I have not watched all of: Vampire Lesbian Kickboxers (2004) at normal speed. It was a friend's entry for a game wherein you fast-forward through the majority of scenes so that you present an entire movie in one-fifth of its released run-time. I found it sufficiently interesting that it is on my list of movies to watch in full when it is available.

I believe that: Lesbian Vampire Killers (2009) is a very good movie of its type. It may help that I have liked James Corden ever since seeing him as the father of Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All in an episode of: Doctor Who.

I doubt very much that there are many movies which are as bad as: Lust for Dracula (2004). 

2 hours ago, bukwurm said:

TopBilled, I didn't say I felt TCM would go the way of AMC, I give them much more credit than that. I was merely pointing out that A- Though they continue to give an extensive schedule to Halloween, they have become a station dedicated to providing slasher franchise fodder to those who continue to watch them, rather than the quality movies they used to show, and B- That when I had made a comment to that affect on AMC's discussion board, those many years ago, there was a small group of frequent posters who obviously made it a point to support AMC's decisions, and while being polite and respectful, would make positive comments about the direction AMC was going, followed by changing the direction of points I was trying to make. 

Thanks for clarifying your point of view.

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I recently bought a copy of Daughters of Darkness, as well as Vampyres (1974). One should be self-reliant when it comes to lesbian-themed vampire flicks of the 1970's.

I haven't seen Vampire Lesbian Kickboxers. Is it as good as Lesbian Vampire Killers (2009), or as bad as Lust for Dracula (2004)?

I like Daughters of Darkness very much, and particularly Delphine Seyrig. But my favorite lesbian vampire film is the original: Dracula's Daughter. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note that I'm a TCM Insider and TCM will survey us about this. 

I'm uncertain how I've been watching TCM for 19 years and on this website for 11, and I've never heard of this. If you're not being sarcastic (I'm holding out some possibility you are - I don't want to be the only person who didn't pick up on it!), could you elaborate a bit? Is this something different from Backlot?

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm uncertain how I've been watching TCM for 19 years and on this website for 11, and I've never heard of this. If you're not being sarcastic (I'm holding out some possibility you are - I don't want to be the only person who didn't pick up on it!), could you elaborate a bit? Is this something different from Backlot?

Yeah, it's different. It came out a short while before TCM Backlot. Basically TCM Insider ended up being people signing up to do market research for free. There were no perks. If you search back far enough there were a few threads about it. Several of us signed up when it was introduced, including me, but most of us dropped it when we realized that it was just market research surveys. 

Eventually TCM Backlot came around, and I didn't hear about TCM Insider again. I wasn't aware that it was still around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I like Daughters of Darkness very much, and particularly Delphine Seyrig. But my favorite lesbian vampire film is the original: Dracula's Daughter. 

Delphine Seyrig was quite beautiful and a rare talent both on the screen and behind the camera. I must admit a bit of shameful suspicion that perhaps she was chosen for: Daughters of Darkness (1971) because the casting director had a touch of dyslexia and saw on her bio that she was Lebanese. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 9/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, LawrenceA said:

I'd prefer Christmas movies be shown on Christmas day only. In fact, only primetime Christmas evening. From 8 to 9:30 PM.

Anything else is overkill. 

You do know there are 12 days of Christmas, don't you?

giphy.gif

On 9/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, LawrenceA said:

I recently bought a copy of Daughters of Darkness, as well as Vampyres (1974). One should be self-reliant when it comes to lesbian-themed vampire flicks of the 1970's.

those films to me are jokes as the horror sci-fi genres deserve respect and to be taken seriously just like crime film noir.

32 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

those films to me are jokes as the horror sci-fi genres deserve respect and to be taken seriously just like crime film noir.

I don't know Vampyres, but Daughters of Darkness is very respectful: a credit to the genre. It's about a nice old lady who likes to knit, but happens to be a lesbian vampire. What could be more respectful than that?

3912_4.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of Halloween week, the two hour Silent Sunday slot is still given to "the Haunted Hotel" from 1907 which is listed as six minutes. :huh: Maybe they mean another Haunted Hotel is scheduled for that slot.

What is going on here? I always take Halloween week off from work to watch all the schlock and now this? Well, at least I've got a bookcase full of DVDs.

I am so happy to hear you say that Janet0312.  I also take Halloween week off (two weeks the last couple years), and have used TCM's schedule as a listing to work around for other movies and Halloween reading.  It's nice to hear from a kindred soul!

I appreciate that TCM is varying the programming with non-horror movie fare.  Horror is not among my favorite genres. I can watch things like the James Whale FrankensteinThe Old Dark House, things like that, but I find the ten million Dracula movies tiring.  

For Halloween, give me some Vincent Price movies, the James Whale films, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and movies like Bell, Book and Candle, Clue, and I'm set for the evening.  Fortunately I have the films that I need to make my own Halloween schedule.  This year, I think I will add The Uninvited to the mix. Blithe Spirit would also be a good Halloween film.  Hocus Pocus seems to have this inexplicable cult following.  For me, this film is NOT one of my go-to Halloween films.

Our number of trick or treaters can vary wildly, some years there are barely any, last year we ran out of candy. I don't think trick or treating is as big an activity as it used to be.  I'm sure it has to do with paranoia surrounding all the weirdos out there these days. 

• Thanks 1

I am also disappointed with the horror movie schedule. It's not nearly as extravagant as it used to be, which I enjoyed. I no longer have cable (so no Svengoolie) but I do have a roku, a collection of 50 horror classics and a couple years of old Now Playing guides, so I can hopefully find most of if not everything TCM is not playing. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, Gershwin fan said:

Speaking of Halloween week, the two hour Silent Sunday slot is still given to "the Haunted Hotel" from 1907 which is listed as six minutes.

Presumably another silent film will follow that one. Maybe they have forgotten to list.