Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Halloween Schedule Disappointment

8 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Re Halloween being "evil".

About 20 years ago I noticed devil imagery becoming unavailable in Halloween decorations-I know, because I collect Red Devils. Ironically, the Christmas Devil Krampus is making a comeback after being discovered by millennials.

When living in Massachusetts, I once went to Salem for Halloween and got into a heated argument with Christians picketing. I argued Halloween to Americans is as religious as Christmas is to Americans. Nada. It's about adorning thyself & rewarded with candy, the great American mindset.

HAXAN is a great movie to watch on Halloween.

What's funny about the religious complaints about Halloween is that many of the traditions at Christmas (supposedly a religious holiday, not for me though) are pagan. 

I remember in elementary school, we were carving jack-o-lanterns.  One of my classmates, a Jehovah's Witness, opted out. I asked her why she didn't want to carve a pumpkin (I was only in I think 3rd grade), and she told me that jack-o-lanterns were evil.  I innocently said "it's a pumpkin with a face." 

We never became friends. 

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

What's funny about the religious complaints about Halloween is that many of the traditions at Christmas (supposedly a religious holiday, not for me though) are pagan. 

I remember in elementary school, we were carving jack-o-lanterns.  One of my classmates, a Jehovah's Witness, opted out. I asked her why she didn't want to carve a pumpkin (I was only in I think 3rd grade), and she told me that jack-o-lanterns were evil.  I innocently said "it's a pumpkin with a face." 

We never became friends. 

You make it sound wrong for someone to be a Jehovah's Witness. If that's their religion, and they are opting out of things quietly instead of drawing attention to themselves, then that shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You make it sound wrong for someone to be a Jehovah's Witness. If that's their religion, and they are opting out of things quietly instead of drawing attention to themselves, then that shouldn't be a problem. 

Opting out quietly doesn't make it any less stupid though. It's a freaking pumpkin. 

Central American immigrants reject Halloween too, to the point where Prince William County schools (Northern Virginia) doesn't do anything for the holiday. I tried to find the reason why and only found a six year old link on the subject:

https://ticotimes.net/2013/11/04/in-el-salvador-citizens-reject-halloween-and-celebrate-a-unique-day-of-the-dead

So apparently Salvadorans reject Halloween because they see it as part of what the Spanish imposed on them. Yet they don't reject Christmas. So I guess I still don't understand.

• 1 year later...

I understand everyone is not a horror movie fan. During October, TCM still has to maintain a mix of genres to keep everyone watching, but still, during the month of Halloween, there should be a lot of time devoted to horror movies! Especially during the last week and a half at least! I'm not saying every movie has to be scary, but there should be a significant homage to All Hallows Eve! 

• Like 2

Maybe they're rushing things, like other places are...

Just yesterday I noticed the store where I do my grocery shopping already has Halloween candy for sale!

Sepiatone

On 8/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, TansuDragon said:

Incidentally, I noticed there are lot of horror / scary movies being shown on Sept. 23. Is there a significance? 

Maybe they're trying to make the point that horror films can air year round, not just in October.

Personally I wish they'd air some Christmas movies during other times of the year so that December can be freed up for a mix of genres...holiday films as well as other stuff.

CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945) was released by Warner Brothers in August 1945 not December.

Paramount released WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954) in October 1954 not December. Etc.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Maybe they're trying to make the point that horror films can air year round, not just in October.

Personally I wish they'd air some Christmas movies during other times of the year so that December can be freed up for a mix of genres...holiday films as well as other stuff.

CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945) was released by Warner Brothers in August 1945 not December.

And beloved Christmas classic MIRACLE ON 34th STREET was released June 11th of 1947.  ;)  But of course, TCM ain't showing that one anytime soon far as I know.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Has TCM released their october schedule yet?  Last year i made a point of watching lots of classic horror films.  Got through about 15 of the 32 classic universal monster films and as many of the hammer films as i could find streaming.  Will try to finish the remaining universal films this year.  my three year old is starting to get into  the classic monsters just now, so maybe he can watch some of them seeing as how they're really pretty tame.

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sort of like Hallmark's Christmas in July, but much better.

• Thanks 1

I’ve always thought the original Universal horror classics should be shown every year as a Halloween tradition. I’m talking about “Frankenstein”, “Dracula”, “The Wolf Man” and “The Invisible Man”. Of course, I’m old. Speaking of which, it’s funny to think that these movies will be 100 years old before long.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, uncle charlie said:

I’ve always thought the original Universal horror classics should be shown every year as a Halloween tradition. I’m talking about “Frankenstein”, “Dracula”, “The Wolf Man” and “The Invisible Man”. Of course, I’m old. Speaking of which, it’s funny to think that these movies will be 100 years old before long.

They never play my favorite Universal horror film-- PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1943) with Claude Rains.

screen-shot-2019-11-21-at-7.20.55-am.jpeg

13 hours ago, uncle charlie said:

As someone who was born in the mid 70's, I agree with you.

If nothing else, the original Universal horror monsters at least be shown around Halloween. I also appreciate the Hammer reboots from the 50's and 60's as well.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Has TCM released their october schedule yet?  Last year i made a point of watching lots of classic horror films.  Got through about 15 of the 32 classic universal monster films and as many of the hammer films as i could find streaming.  Will try to finish the remaining universal films this year.  my three year old is starting to get into  the classic monsters just now, so maybe he can watch some of them seeing as how they're really pretty tame.

For the most part. Scroll toward the end, it's the entire schedule from yesterday onward.

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

Edited by Giggles Widlansky
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see an evening of Claude Rains at Universal:

THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933)
THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD (1934)
THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1935)
THE WOLF MAN (1941)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1943)

78634E5B-F12B-4ADB-90EB-350C794DE984_4_5005_c

• Like 2