Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schabelf

Great movie unavailable

I have a couple of thousand movies on DVD and Blu-Ray, many captured from TCM, So I am obviously on the side of having movies on disk rather than depending on streaming. For some reason I felt like watching  "An Unmarried Woman" tonight. I had recorded it several years ago from a channel with the do not copy bit turned on. Unfortunately I have since changed computers so that file would not play. So I went searching for a DVD or streaming alternative. The DVDs are out of print and extremely expensive and I could not find this film available to stream anywhere. This is not an obscure film: it was one of the best films of the 80s and it might have just as well dropped off the earth. It was on RETROHD when I recorded it all those years ago. I don't think TCM has shown it but they should. If not before next summer, then I recommend adding Jill Clayburg to one of the stars covered in Summer Under the Stars next August.

It's from 1978, and I've seen it broadcast on the old Fox Movie Channel which is now called FXM Retro I believe.

So chances are it will air again...you just have to wait for it to cycle through. 

I agree that it should be available for streaming, since it is undoubtedly a classic.

16 hours ago, schabelf said:

I don't think TCM has shown it but they should.

Fox owned networks show an Unmarried Women often.    E.g. MOVIES showed it around 10 times in a 6 week period (but that was a year or so back).    

It is my understanding Fox doesn't wish to lease this film to competitors.     With Disney now owning Fox,  hopefully this will change.  

Yes, this is something that scares me about the death of physical media. More obscure films seem to only be available in physical formats so if those go away they may get left behind and become extremely difficult to see. This is counterintutive since it seems like streaming is a smaller investment of resources so you'd think they'd release movies with smaller audiences that way rather than paying for a DVD release. But that's not how it works out.