Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

Carol Lynley, ‘The Poseidon Adventure’ Star, Dies at 77

20 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DID THIS SCHEDULE that beforehand or what?

again- I really liked BUNNY LAKE the one time I saw it, and while I think LYNLEY was limited as an actress, she works in the part quite well if you assume (quite right) that there is something a little "off" about her and her brother.

I literally set 'Bunny Lake' up to record on the DVR... then later that day I'd read that she died.  I was thinking "crap! I hope I didn't jinx poor Miss Lynley."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I literally set 'Bunny Lake' up to record on the DVR... then later that day I'd read that she died.  I was thinking "crap! I hope I didn't jinx poor Miss Lynley."

Years back, I gifted my sister-in-law a Traveling Wilbury's LP. Yes, vinyl. Well, Roy Orbison died 2 days after my birthday gift. She looked me in the face and said, "Please don't by me any Huey Lewis albums."

• Thanks 1

I remember enjoying Holiday for Lovers (1959) when I was a wee lad.

holiday-for-lovers-2f78c838-e63d-425d-84

I always liked Lynley. She had a fragile, gentle, sweet beauty. She was the glue that held Bunny Lake together even during the last 30 minutes when the story goes completely off the rails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Didn't watch tonight. Was there any acknowledgement of Ms. Lynley's passing?

Yes!  As predicted TCM acknowledged Miss Lynley's passing before both the Intros and the Wrap-Ups.428995043_BlueDenim(1959)-TCMLynleyMemorialCard.thumb.jpg.20b5f062f371c911c6114897f8e56cee.jpg

• Thanks 5

I wouldn’t try to argue the case for Carol Lynley being a great actress, but I always thought she was very pretty and a more than decent actress.  She was particularly good in the 2 films TCM aired tonight.  “The Pleasure Seekers” has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, too—gorgeous women and great scenery (Madrid).

• Thanks 1

The Pleasure Seekers (the title was more suggestive than anything going on in the movie) was a remake of 3 Coins in the Fountain with the location changed from Rome to Madrid.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, speedracer5 said:

Yvette Mimieux is a great name. "Yvette" isn't a name you hear very often. 

How is Yvette's last name pronounced? Mim-oh? Mim-i-oh? Meem-oh? Meem-i-oh?

Yvette has a very interesting look.  I believe she's of French and Mexican heritage?

With the mention of Paula Prentiss, Dolores Hart and Mimieux, I think I'll need to watch Where the Boys Are tonight.

I think it was pronounced the second way, at least that's how I've always heard it.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Fox's movie channel repeats so very often, but its still a good way to pick up on maybe 20-25 Fox films that it otherwise costs a bit to see.

Yes, they are repeated VERY often. I was just going through this week's schedule to see if there was anything I wanted to record. (I forget sometimes).

On 9/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, lydecker said:

Totally agree.  I think Paula Prentiss was enormously talented.  She brought something special to every film she was in.  She was on a roll there for a while but then seemingly disappeared.  A real shame.  She had "Old Hollywood" star quality.

I don't know much about Paula's personal life, maybe she made a choice to concentrate on her family life and that's what happened.

I did a rather quick survey of Carol Lynley's obituaries and news headlines about her passing and I'd say 95% of them were in the form of "Star of Poseidon Adventure....", "Poseidon Adventure Actress Carol Lynley.....".....one hit movie ends up defining your life.

There was "Carol Lynley, doomed ship's singer in Poseidon Adventure...."

One headline did add Blue Denim and one added Bunny Lake along with Poseidon.

Oh, and there was "Poseidon Adventure Actress and Former Girlfriend of David Frost Has Died....."  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Yes!  As predicted TCM acknowledged Miss Lynley's passing before both the Intros and the Wrap-Ups.428995043_BlueDenim(1959)-TCMLynleyMemorialCard.thumb.jpg.20b5f062f371c911c6114897f8e56cee.jpg

I would 100% approve of they had added:

"we at TCM would also like to add that she was a perfectly fine actress, and Lorna Hanson Forbes can go suck a whole carton of eggs. Thank you."

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

I did a rather quick survey of Carol Lynley's obituaries and news headlines about her passing and I'd say 95% of them were in the form of "Star of Poseidon Adventure....", "Poseidon Adventure Actress Carol Lynley.....".....one hit movie ends up defining your life.

There was "Carol Lynley, doomed ship's singer in Poseidon Adventure...."

One headline did add Blue Denim and one added Bunny Lake along with Poseidon.

Oh, and there was "Poseidon Adventure Actress and Former Girlfriend of David Frost Has Died....."  

LOL. Well, it really was her main claim to fame. Most people wouldn't remember her earlier films aside from movie buffs. I'd forgotten about David Frost...

My paper had a strange pairing in the major obituaries page. On top of Carol Lynley's was that of

the police supervisor who was handcuffed to Lee Harvey Oswald when he was shot. I think he was

99. Although Carol's was at the bottom her's was longer.

• Like 1

I was surprised to hear she had posed for Playboy in the mid-60s. That was pretty daring for a mainstream actress in those days.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, speedracer5 said:

I hated Under the Yum Yum Tree. Jack Lemmon's character is such a creep--probably one of the worst characters he's ever played.

I was already planning on recording Bunny Lake is Missing.  I haven't seen Return to Peyton Place. I haven't seen The Pleasure Seekers either.  I may also record Blue Denim

DITTO on Yum-Yum Tree. One of Jack Lemmon's worst. Leering, dated sex comedy.

• Like 1

By the way, I have read that Jack Lemmon himself cited “Under the Yum Yum Tree” as his least favorite of all the movies he made.  

• Like 2

I  never understood David Frost's appeal to women. Diahann Carroll had a relationship with him as well...

Re: CAROL LYNLEY, ‘THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE’ STAR, DIES AT 77

Wonder if her memorial services be held in St Simons, Georgia?

a5cargorescue-hg-091019-ph4

:P

Edited by hamradio