Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Intersection of Kings Row & Peyton Place

36 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Wow, that's some good writing! 

It is. 

(I take it you mean the text in the pic of the first page I sent and not my complaining about Pinterest)

The next page is where he talks about the competition between the various churches to be the highest point in Kings Row

• 5 months later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, CinemaInternational said:

I remember there was talk years ago that they wanted Sandra Bullock was wanted to play Grace, but given that they look nothing alike other than the dark hair, it would require an Academy-award level makeup job......

Why? Where is it a requirement someone can't portray a person without a strong resemblance? It's called ACTING. Oh, you're talking about Sandra Bullock....(jk-sure she'd do a fine job)

I haven't seen KINGS ROW in a decade...don't know if I've ever seen Peyton Place, now I'm intrigued. Time to stop in the li-berry! Thanks!

On 9/6/2019 at 10:46 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also feel kind of bad tho, I really hope CAROL LYNLEY didn't read my review of RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE from a couple weeks ago.

Was this in the JUST WATCHED thread?

August 28, 2019:  CAROL LYNLEY is in this, for some reason, as the HEROINE. There are worse actresses than CAROL LYNLEY (LOIS CHILES comes to mind), but I'll be damned if I can think of any MORE BORING. She always seems to me as if SHE DOES NOT IN FACT WANT TO BE MAKING WHATEVER MOVIE SHE IS APPEARING IN THAT I AM WATCHING  AND WOULD RATHER BE, say, SITTING ON A PORCH STOOP AND PULLING THE LEGS OFF OF SPIDERS INSTEAD.

I DO NOT LIKE CAROL LYNLEY AND I AM ALLOWED TO NOT LIKE CAROL LYNLEY.

September 5, 2019:  Carol Lynley, 'Poseidon Adventure' Actress, Dies at 77

• Like 1

AND I'M SURE SHE NEVER ONCE PULLED THE LEGS OF OF A SPIDER. She just has a certain "spookiness" innate in her gestalt or lack thereof...that suggested it.

I on the other hand used to pull the legs off DADDY LONG LEGS all the time as a child.

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I on the other hand used to pull the legs off DADDY LONG LEGS all the time as a child.

That explains EVERYTHING.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Peyton Place reminds me a bit of Picnic. Of course they both have holiday celebrations with picnics with two

boys who eat too much junk food and one falls asleep with his watermelon. There there are the small towns

that are controlled by two lunkhead company heads with two spoiled sons. Peyton Place is lot sleazier and

dangerous. Murder, rape, suicides, you name it. Lorne Greene examining Little Joe. PP is one of the best camp

classics of the 1950s. I always get a laugh out of the good doctor Swain, except when he's blackmailing people

or falsifying medical records. Way to go. I was looking at the Peyton Place review in Maltin's guide and in the

cast list he puts Diane Varsi near the end, just after Mildred Dunnock. Just because she was kind of a one hit

wonder doesn't mean she deserves that slight. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS AT DEATH'S DOOR WHEN I WROTE THAT FORGODSOKE!!!!

#PLEASEDONTCANCELME

LOL. I hadn't realized that was an old post. Didnt notice the date at f irst.

2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

August 28, 2019:  CAROL LYNLEY is in this, for some reason, as the HEROINE. There are worse actresses than CAROL LYNLEY (LOIS CHILES comes to mind), but I'll be damned if I can think of any MORE BORING. She always seems to me as if SHE DOES NOT IN FACT WANT TO BE MAKING WHATEVER MOVIE SHE IS APPEARING IN THAT I AM WATCHING  AND WOULD RATHER BE, say, SITTING ON A PORCH STOOP AND PULLING THE LEGS OFF OF SPIDERS INSTEAD.

I DO NOT LIKE CAROL LYNLEY AND I AM ALLOWED TO NOT LIKE CAROL LYNLEY.

September 5, 2019:  Carol Lynley, 'Poseidon Adventure' Actress, Dies at 77

LOL! I remember this now! :D

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AND I'M SURE SHE NEVER ONCE PULLED THE LEGS OF OF A SPIDER. She just has a certain "spookiness" innate in her gestalt or lack thereof...that suggested it.

Now that is AWFUL! :(

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

Now that is AWFUL! :(

Well, if it makes you feel better, I don’t eat red meat or wear leather and nearly always vote Democrat. 
Children have no souls. That’s why God makes them adorable, So we tolerate them until they (hopefully) learn better.

Someone mentioned PICNIC. And Betty Field is in that movie too. She seemed to excel in these kinds of "small town" stories.

Surprised she didn't make it into OUR TOWN.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Well, if it makes you feel better, I don’t eat red meat or wear leather and nearly always vote Democrat. 
Children have no souls. That’s why God makes them adorable, So we tolerate them until they (hopefully) learn better.

I hope you didn't torture and dogs and cats..... I've actually caught Daddy's in the house and threw them outside rather than kill them. I generally hate bugs, but spiders eat other bugs, so as long as they dont bite me I'm ok with them...

42 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I feel bad for derailing the thread, so i note here that if any of you wish to purchase a copy of KING'S ROW the novel on amazon, it's gonna cost you.

https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Row-Henry-Bellamann/dp/B000O3S7LM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=king's+row&qid=1581601505&s=books&sr=1-1

I wonder if my local library has a copy. I'll check.

No such luck. They have one copy and it doesnt circulate.  Not many copies of this book around after searching various systems. I found one at another library in the state. LONG book!

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I hope you didn't torture and dogs and cats..... I've actually caught Daddy's in the house and threw them outside rather than kill them. I generally hate bugs, but spiders eat other bugs, so as long as they dont bite me I'm ok with them...

Oh God no.

And in fact, every summer I get GIANT YELLOW GARDEN SPIDERS EVERYWHERE and I often walk through a web, not knowing, and one will be on me and I just brush it off as gently as i can.

1e7dda3a22b2e2da276ca7eebaf743ef.jpg

i've also come across black widows and left them alone.

38 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh God no.

And in fact, every summer I get GIANT YELLOW GARDEN SPIDERS EVERYWHERE and I often walk through a web, not knowing, and one will be on me and I just brush it off as gently as i can.

1e7dda3a22b2e2da276ca7eebaf743ef.jpg

i've also come across black widows and left them alone.

WOW. Beautiful. Glad you've evolved. I like to keep my distance but I consider them friends in the garden.

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Never realized Ann Sheridan got top billing in this.

Indicates her clout at the studio (WB) at that time. She doesn't appear until one hour into the film.