Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roy Cronin

The Intersection of Kings Row & Peyton Place

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Someone mentioned PICNIC. And Betty Field is in that movie too. She seemed to excel in these kinds of "small town" stories.

Surprised she didn't make it into OUR TOWN.

Interesting that Betty Field is not only in PEYTON PLACE but its precursor, KINGS ROW!

• Like 2

And, speaking of "the intersection of Kings Row and Peyton Place" here...

I understand there's a new Starbucks being built on that corner. The Southwest corner of it in fact.

(...sorry, couldn't resist)

• Like 2

I avoid KINGS ROW, a good movie I dislike, and I think that PEYTON PLACE served its purpose 60+ years ago, meaning there is nothing left to "shock".  Except maybe the new Starbucks. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I avoid KINGS ROW, a good movie I dislike, and I think that PEYTON PLACE served its purpose 60+ years ago, meaning there is nothing left to "shock".  Except maybe the new Starbucks. 

Funny you mention this, Allhallows!

Just the other day at my local Starbucks while waiting of 'em to make my Café Americano, I noticed one of the young regulars there sitting at a table watching Peyton Place on his laptop.

Figured it must have been assigned to him by his internet film studies class. I'm sure he would've rather been watching one of these newer superhero movies instead.

(...naaaah, just couldn't resist this one too)

;)

• Like 2

I remember reading a quote from Ann Sheridan:  "I wanted the role of Randy Monahan so bad my teeth ached"

She's wonderful in the part.   I've always considered her an underrated actress.  Delicious and funny in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I remember reading a quote from Ann Sheridan:  "I wanted the role of Randy Monahan so bad my teeth ached"

She's wonderful in the part.   I've always considered her an underrated actress.  Delicious and funny in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

I love ANN SHERIDAN in anything! 

• Like 3

The addition of Picnic to this conversation was interesting!  And Betty Field in all 3, well that just never dawned on me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

The addition of Picnic to this conversation was interesting!  And Betty Field in all 3, well that just never dawned on me.

My favorite Betty Field moment in Picnic when she is trying to get Kim Novak (turning 87 today btw) to consider "making it" (as they say on 90210) with Alan at the picnic.  "There won't be many more opportunities after the picnic tonight" she says.

Then when Betty expresses to daughter Kim that she shouldn't waste her looks by not "marrying up" when she's young:

KIM: I'm only 19

BETTY: And next year you'll be 20. And then 21. Then 40!

KIM: You don't have to be morbid. 

This weird, awkward conversation between mother and daughter always makes me laugh. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

My favorite Betty Field moment in Picnic when she is trying to get Kim Novak (turning 87 today btw) to consider "making it" (as they say on 90210) with Alan at the picnic.  "There won't be many more opportunities after the picnic tonight" she says.

Then when Betty expresses to daughter Kim that she shouldn't waste her looks by not "marrying up" when she's young:

KIM: I'm only 19

BETTY: And next year you'll be 20. And then 21. Then 40!

KIM: You don't have to be morbid. 

This weird, awkward conversation between mother and daughter always makes me laugh. 

Nothing like the '50s........Finished at 40!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I better get moving, I only have 5 years left! 

Though I've already hooked my "Alan" though I don't know if I really moved up in the social world of the Willamette Valley.  I think it was more of a lateral move.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Whaddaya talkin' here, Hibi.

Back then, an unmarried woman of 30, and even 25 in some states (and 17 in West Virginia) was considered to have her best years behind her in finding her "Alan". 

(...sorry hamradio if you're out there...I just couldn't resist that "West Virginia" crack there...guess that now makes THREE "I just couldn't resist" cracks at last count in this baby here, huh) ;)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

I just couldn't resist

tumblr_inline_myqdhlN3ef1r48cs1.gif

• Haha 1

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

A real tragedy what happens to Betty as Cassandra in KINGS ROW but it could have been even worse -- she might've actually wound up marrying Parris Mitchell.  At least, as played by Robert Cummings.....eeek, lol.  

19 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I love ANN SHERIDAN in anything! 

Moi aussi.

Have you seen her in THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT? (her character's name is Cassie btw, lol)  Sweet, sassy, supportive.  No wonder George Raft as Joe Fabrini falls head-over-heels with "that cheap redhead" (as neurotically jealous Lana Carlson -- Ida Lupino -- calls her)

• Like 2

What I love about Ann Sheridan was her ability to do comedy and drama. Kings Row, Torrid Zone, They Drive By Night, she was great in these dramas. I Was A Male War Bride and The Man Who Came To Dinner, she was so funny in these.  She could be tough and she could vulnerable. Excellent range and always a pleasure to watch.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Moi aussi.

Have you seen her in THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT? (her character's name is Cassie btw, lol)  Sweet, sassy, supportive.  No wonder George Raft as Joe Fabrini falls head-over-heels with "that cheap redhead" (as Lana Carlson -- Ida Lupino -- calls her)

Yes, HUMPHREY BOGART just before stardom... good flick. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

What I love about Ann Sheridan was her ability to do comedy and drama. Kings Row, Torrid Zone, They Drive By Night, she was great in these dramas. I Was A Male War Bride and The Man Who Came To Dinner, she was so funny in these.  She could be tough and she could vulnerable. Excellent range and always a pleasure to watch.

Perfectly stated, lavender!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Yes, HUMPHREY BOGART just before stardom... good flick. 

And I always thought Bogie's "break-out" role was Duke Mantee in THE PETRIFIED FOREST but unfortunately he had to wait a few more years until his triumph in HIGH SIERRA.

23 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And I always thought Bogie's "break-out" role was Duke Mantee in THE PETRIFIED FOREST but unfortunately he had to wait a few more years until his triumph in HIGH SIERRA.

He had some good parts before, but I think the beginning of the legend is indeed HIGH SIERRA (1941)... also with IDA LUPINO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

He had some good parts before, but I think the beginning of the legend is indeed HIGH SIERRA (1941)... also with IDA LUPINO

I'm particularly fond of THE RETURN OF DR. X, lol.

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2020 at 5:08 PM, speedracer5 said:

Oh my Mother said the same thing to me-good thing I followed that advice & got marriage & divorce out of the way while young, haha.

I just finished watching KINGS ROW (library is sending Peyton Place next) and found several melodramatic places that made me LOL. The scene where Parris is digesting the tragedy is scripted & edited just like the "Dr Scott/Brad/Janet/Rocky/Ugh" sequence in Rocky Horror: "Oh What happened? WHY did he do it? Why did SHE do it? What will I do?" Ugh.

I got a lot more from this movie re-watching it. It was definitely a sordid melodrama. I agree Ann Sheridan is great in this, I think most likely her best role. I also really liked Reagan and well really it's superb acted by all. Surprised to see Claude Rains- he's uncredited on the DVD cover, as is fave Judith Anderson.

Thankfully, I did not sense the incest angle you all speak of. 

I also requested my library sends me a copy of ISN'T SHE GREAT? I like Bette Midler & Nathan Lane a lot-I see nothing ominous from the trailer, looks fun. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On another thread about Kings Row I had mentioned how powerful Nancy Coleman's performance is.  It's one of the things I remember most from the film.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I got a lot more from this movie re-watching it. It was definitely a sordid melodrama.

Is this what some people call "soapers"? Because they are like themed like soaps?

While I enjoy the occasional THE WOMEN, MILDRED PIERCE, THE BAD & THE BEAUTIFUL ilk, 2 hours is my limit. 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:09 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'm particularly fond of THE RETURN OF DR. X, lol.

Really? 
it is the forgotten stepchild of my 6dvd HORROR collection w/ DEVIL DOLL, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, MASK OF FU MANCHU, DR X and another one I can’t recall. 

I watched everyone of those annually, but I never watch it. 

EDIT- MAD LOVE. Remembered