Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roy Cronin

The Intersection of Kings Row & Peyton Place

7 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

On another thread about Kings Row I had mentioned how powerful Nancy Coleman's performance is.  It's one of the things I remember most from the film.

I remember OUSPENSKAYA.

but then, I ALWAYS remember OUSPENSKAYA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It keeps posting sideways, but in news about reading books on which classic films were based, I ordered this off Amazon a week ago and it came today:

7B01B959-FE3E-4ADE-A515-64D959B1274E.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I remember OUSPENSKAYA.

but then, I ALWAYS remember OUSPENSKAYA.

I loved Maria Ouspenskaya in Love Affair.  She's also great in Dance, Girl, Dance.  

I see that she's in Dodsworth.  I have had Dodsworth on hold for over a month now.  I put it on hold when the Mary Astor documentary was on--apparently everyone else in my area saw the same documentary.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It keeps posting sideways, but in news about reading books on which classic films were based, I ordered this off Amazon a week ago and it came today:

7B01B959-FE3E-4ADE-A515-64D959B1274E.jpeg

My husband just finished reading Nightmare Alley and is familiar with the 1947 film.  He told me about some of the differences between the novel and the Tyrone Power film.  We're both curious how Guillermo Del Toro will adapt the novel for his new version of the film. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

My husband just finished reading Nightmare Alley and is familiar with the 1947 film.  He told me about some of the differences between the novel and the Tyrone Power film.  We're both curious how Guillermo Del Toro will adapt the novel for his new version of the film. 

I predict it will be so down and dirty that it will make the shocking original look like Sesame Street!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, Hibi said:

Nothing like the '50s........Finished at 40!

Joan Crawford was then a dynamo... still getting leading parts past 50. I wonder what Kim's mother would have made of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I predict it will be so down and dirty that it will make the shocking original look like Sesame Street!

Lol.

I'm really questioning the casting of Rooney Mara as Molly.  I think the rest of the cast sounds good:

Character- 1947 Actor | 2020/21 Actor

Molly- Coleen Gray | Rooney Mara

Stan- Tyrone Power | Bradley Cooper

Lillith Ritter- Helen Walker | Cate Blanchett

Zeena- Joan Blondell | Toni Collette

Pete- Ian Keith | David Stratharin

Bruno- Mike Mazurki | Ron Pearlman

Ezra Grindle- Taylor Holmes | Richard Jenkins

Hoatley- James Flavin (uncredited) | Willem Dafoe

But we'll see. 

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Joan Crawford was then a dynamo... still getting leading parts past 50. I wonder what Kim's mother would have made of that.

She probably would have pitied Joan for not landing the right man in her youth and having to work to be able to survive. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I loved Maria Ouspenskaya in Love Affair.  She's also great in Dance, Girl, Dance.  I see that she's in Dodsworth

Ouspensyaya's role in KINGS ROW is definitely my favorite of all.

Maria Ouspenskyaya is a dead ringer for my Hungarian great grandmother whom I only know from stories & photos. In Kings Row it seems she has more than usual screen time and isn't playing an over-the-top character. Ouspenskaya in this role "fleshes out" my Great Grandma Szerbin from frail old lady to pistol. 

01-maria-ouspenskaya.jpg

(although these too could be pictures of my ancestors)

6a4764bb7fab426b341a89eab7862e2b.jpgMaria_Ouspenskaya_01.jpg

Great Grandma was related to Bela Lugosi.

• Like 1

After complaining yesterday that my library hold on Dodsworth was taking forever, I see that it's enroute to me today! Lol. I look forward to seeing Ouspenskaya and everyone else in this film.  I think I have Kings Row on the DVR.  I have seen this movie before, but I don't remember anything about it except for Ronald Reagan's legs (or lack thereof). I think I'll need to re-watch it.  

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

the thing that struck me about NIGHTMARE ALLEY, THE NOVEL (which I also read) was that it needed a more aggressive editor. it has a sharp, fast-moving first hundred pages, but the last 45 pages needed to be whittled down...which is a shame, because you want to see how it's going to end, and you have to wade through a few dozen pages more of Stan's alcoholic delirium than I think were wise.

i did like the use of TAROT CARD FACES to start each new chapter though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the thing that struck me about NIGHTMARE ALLEY, THE NOVEL (which I also read) was that it needed a more aggressive editor. it has a sharp, fast-moving first hundred pages, but the last 45 pages needed to be whittled down...which is a shame, because you want to see how it's going to end, and you have to wade through a few dozen pages more of Stan's alcoholic delirium than I think were wise.

i did like the use of TAROT CARD FACES to start each new chapter though.

My husband "read" the novel by listening to it on Audible.  I wonder how those 45 pages translate in audio? I'll admit that I have a terrible time paying attention to audio books. I get distracted too easily. 

We actually own the physical novel though. I agree about the Tarot Card Faces.  I liked that as well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I loved Maria Ouspenskaya in Love Affair.  She's also great in Dance, Girl, Dance.  

I see that she's in Dodsworth.  I have had Dodsworth on hold for over a month now.  I put it on hold when the Mary Astor documentary was on--apparently everyone else in my area saw the same documentary.

besides their being very very brief- OUSPENSKAYA'S roles in DODSWORTH and LOVE AFFAIR have next to nothing in common. it took me a while to understand just why she got nominated for DODSWORTH, but once I saw more of her film work- it made sense. she was also a DRAMA TEACHER to a lot of up-and-comers.

she has a MARVELOUS role in the otherwise very boring CONQUEST where she berates CHARLES BOYER AS NAPOLEON for cheating at cards. and she is MAGIC in the two WOLF MAN movies she made.

she also strikes me as the type to not remove the cigarette from betwixt her lips before telling The Border Patrol Official to kiss her ***, and I love her for it.

• Like 1

Just now, speedracer5 said:

My husband "read" the novel by listening to it on Audible.  I wonder how those 45 pages translate in audio? I'll admit that I have a terrible time paying attention to audio books. I get distracted too easily. 

We actually own the physical novel though. I agree about the Tarot Card Faces.  I liked that as well. 

in my "old age" i have gravitated to audiobooks. it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD WHO IS DOING THE READING! as for the impression they make on me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

in my "old age" i have gravitated to audiobooks. it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD WHO IS DOING THE READING! as for the impression they make on me.

I have shifted to Kindle.  I would agree about the narrator though, who'd want to listen to a novel narrated by someone with a really irritating voice (Gilbert Gotfried reads The Little House on the Prairie) ? I told my husband that he needed to read Desi Arnaz' autobiography.  It was available on Audible! They found this fantastic narrator whose voice had a similar sound and accent as Desi.  I appreciated that they didn't have someone doing a Desi Arnaz impression and that they also made the effort to find someone whose voice was similar to Desi's and didn't just have "generic white man" read it. 

I discovered that the Robert Stack-hosted episodes of Unsolved Mysteries are on Amazon.  How amazing would it be to listen to Stack read audio books? He could make everything sound serious and scary at the same time.  Can you imagine Stack reading Little Women

• Like 1

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.

I'm really questioning the casting of Rooney Mara as Molly.  I think the rest of the cast sounds good:

But we'll see. 

Somebody here once wrote that Johnny Depp would have been ideal for the lead, and I kind of agree. It would have dovetailed neatly, and made for near perfect casting.,

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Somebody here once wrote that Johnny Depp would have been ideal for the lead, and I kind of agree. It would have dovetailed neatly, and made for near perfect casting.,

I could see Depp in the part a few years ago.  Not sure now, post-Jack Sparrow.  

Now that I've seen Joker, I could see Joaquin Phoenix in the part.

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.

But we'll see. 

WHY do they have to remake this movie? It was great the first time. UGH.

• Like 1

Just now, Hibi said:

WHY do they have to remake this movie? It was great the first time. UGH.

Yeah. I think to Del  Toro's credit, he's doing an adaptation of the source material, he isn't remaking the 1947 film.

But we'll see what he does with it.  I love the 1947 film so much, but as I understand it, the book is much different.  Fox definitely had to clean it up to pass  the Hays Code.

Yes, I know that, but I don't think a new version will be any better.

59 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yeah. I think to Del  Toro's credit, he's doing an adaptation of the source material, he isn't remaking the 1947 film.

But we'll see what he does with it.  I love the 1947 film so much, but as I understand it, the book is much different.  Fox definitely had to clean it up to pass  the Hays Code.

Thing is, the basic outline of the plot – as I recall-is actually quite a bit like the movie. There’s just a few prurient details and references to narcotics.

Many of these all-Americana l950's type flix are why DAVID LYNCH made the l986 masterpiece BLUE VELVET

My rational is he grew up on these movies & wanted to show them-(notice ow '50's both BV & Twin Peaks appear) & then by his own admission wanted to show the seamy underbelly of the towns

With BV he created one of the movies all-time greatest villians in Dennis Hopper's maniacal Frank Booth & then it carried on with his villians

(TRIVIA: Woody Allen attempted to withdraw his own HANNAH AND HER SISTERS from the Oscars because e thought BV was superior, but the academy doesn't do that type of thing)

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

besides their being very very brief- OUSPENSKAYA'S roles in DODSWORTH and LOVE AFFAIR have next to nothing in common. it took me a while to understand just why she got nominated for DODSWORTH, but once I saw more of her film work- it made sense. she was also a DRAMA TEACHER to a lot of up-and-comers.

she has a MARVELOUS role in the otherwise very boring CONQUEST where she berates CHARLES BOYER AS NAPOLEON for cheating at cards. and she is MAGIC in the two WOLF MAN movies she made.

she also strikes me as the type to not remove the cigarette from betwixt her lips before telling The Border Patrol Official to kiss her ***, and I love her for it.

What did toy think of the l994 Beatty-Bening remake of LOVE AFFAIR & with KATE HEPBURN in her very last role at age 87 in that role?)

Ouspenska died a horrific death burning to death, same as Linda Darnell & Butterfly McQueen

Personally prefer KING'S ROW though to PEYTON PLACE myself   Think the latter went 0 fir 10 that yr come Oscar time

And most say Reagan came closest to getting an Oscar nod for KR