Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DECEMBER SCHEDULE UP! SOTM JOAN BLONDELL

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, I'm disappointed with the Joan Blondell tribute. I figured they would stick mainly to the Warner Brothers stuff she did, instead of going outside the library to bring in some of her best films. Also, they have all those Warner Brothers films with Bette Davis the month before, so it's a bit much. I would have much preferred the variety a Joan Bennett tribute would have brought to the schedule. 

I do like the remakes spotlight.

I don't care for the Christmas double features thing, mainly because they've done it the past few years and with the exception of REMEMBER THE NIGHT they're not bringing in films from outside the Turner library. They should be including THE CHEATERS (Republic) and HOLIDAY INN (Paramount).

The New Year's Eve schedule is very similar to what they've done in the past-- all the Thin Man movies and all those That's Entertainment retrospectives.

And I don't understand why they've bumped the In Memoriam segment up to December 17th. The middle of the month? Usually this works best around the 28th or 29th, at the tail end of the month/year.

In re: Memorial tributes; I suspect the schedulers were challenged to come up with programming that is proportionate to the work of the star. Meaning, Doris Day and Stanley Donen (as well as Albert Finney and Peter Fonda... I'm sure I'm overlooking some others) are deserving of more retrospective than Julie Adams and David Hedison. So, the daylong or evening-long tributes for those others will have to suffice.

In re: Christmas programming; in past years they have made some effort to premiere new Christmas titles. I'd been hoping for CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY (1944).

In re: the NYE programming; the recycling of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT series is baffling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

In re: Memorial tributes; I suspect the schedulers were challenged to come up with programming that is proportionate to the work of the star. Meaning, Doris Day and Stanley Donen (as well as Albert Finney and Peter Fonda... I'm sure I'm overlooking some others) are deserving of more retrospective than Julie Adams and David Hedison. So, the daylong or evening-long tributes for those others will have to suffice.

In re: Christmas programming; in past years they have made some effort to premiere new Christmas titles. I'd been hoping for CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY (1944).

In re: the NYE programming; the recycling of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT series is baffling.

I was glad Julie Adams was included as part of the In Memoriam tribute. In fact, she made more films than Day and Donen. We just don't see them, because TCM seldom leases titles from Universal, which was her home studio for many years.

My question wasn't about the people they chose to honor, but why it was moved up to the middle of the month. Traditionally, the In Memoriam piece is broadcast on the 28th or 29th. 

One year on New Years Eve Day, they showed all the Rathbone-Bruce Sherlock Holmes titles. Another year they showed a bunch of Will Rogers comedies. But for the past few years they've been repeating the Thin Man movies on this particular day, followed by the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT series.

Much of this year's December schedule seems like it was generated by some automated system. Just repeating what they've done in previous Decembers. 

As I said, I like the remakes spotlight, since that seems a bit more original. 

• Like 2
On 9/6/2019 at 12:21 PM, CinemaInternational said:

It goes without saying that the film for which Blondell received her only Oscar nomination, The Blue Veil (1951), will not be playing (its caught up in entanglements)... but just the other day, a movie catalog came showing that they are selling a region-free import [read as DVD than can be played anywhere in the world] of the film from Australia, meaning that even if it can't be seen on TCM, it can be found.....

https://www.moviesunlimited.com/the-blue-veil/9317486003151

JANE WYMAN is so dull though.

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I was glad Julie Adams was included as part of the In Memoriam tribute. In fact, she made more films than Day and Donen. We just don't see them, because TCM seldom leases titles from Universal, which was her home studio for many years.

My question wasn't about the people they chose to honor, but why it was moved up to the middle of the month. Traditionally, the In Memoriam piece is broadcast on the 28th or 29th. 

One year on New Years Eve Day, they showed all the Rathbone-Bruce Sherlock Holmes titles. Another year they showed a bunch of Will Rogers comedies. But for the past few years they've been repeating the Thin Man movies on this particular day, followed by the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT series.

Much of this year's December schedule seems like it was generated by some automated system. Just repeating what they've done in previous Decembers. 

As I said, I like the remakes spotlight, since that seems a bit more original. 

Dead-on analysis re: automation. It may be true - algorithms are everywhere.

ps. I remember one NYE with all-Marx Brothers films. I like 'The Thin Man' series a lot, but those films get a lot of exposure on TCM. There are others that could be scheduled to good effect (e.g, Wheeler/Woolsey, Todd/Kelly, Philo Vance, Bulldog Drummond... or the 'Broadway Melody' or 'Golddiggers' series.) 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Grease's broadcast rights are probably owned by another station so I wouldn't expect to see it on TCM anytime soon.

not only that, BUT DON'T THEY HAVE TO DUB AN ALTERNATE SOUNDTRACK for EVERY SINGLE SONG IN IT because the original soundtrack is owned by someone else? I'M SERIOUS, when it airs on VH1 or other networks, every song in it is dubbed with an alternate recording of the same song but they can't show the movie as it originally was. at all.

it's WEIRD.

ps- am i wrong?

• Haha 1

Interesting Lorna....the whole issue of music clearance rights is fascinating and I know nothing about it. But one that I noticed and always annoyed me:

John Sayles "Baby, It's You" 1983 has a couple dozen period songs, mid 1960s on the soundtrack.  One is The Toys "Lover's Concerto" used to great effect in a scene with Rosanna Arquette.

Years after seeing the film in a theater I got it on DVD. 

No Lover's Concerto in the scene I was anticipating.  I forget what was substitited.

I was disturbed enough to research, and turns out a handful of songs didn't procure clearance. 

It's absence changed that sequence for me a great deal.

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience with a change in soundtrack.  

18 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Grease's broadcast rights are probably owned by another station so I wouldn't expect to see it on TCM anytime soon.

Well, I really wasn't all THAT serious about it.  ;) Besides, we've long had it on an old VHS cassette( and yes, I have a VHS player) and a grandniece of ours just loved it and insisted on watching it whenever she would come and spend the night.  Which was pretty often.  So, I've seen that movie more often than ants at a picnic.

Sepiatone

Good stuff:

Career Girls ***1/2

Life is Sweet ***

Within Our Gates ***

The Harder They Come ***

The Panic in Needle Park ***1/2

Kes ***

The Wild Seed ***

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence ***

The 1940 version of Gaslight ***1/2

Repeat Performance ***

The 1922 version of The Prisoner of Zenda ***

Tex Avery cartoons "The Screwy Truant" and "Slap-Happy Lion" Saturdays 8 AM

• Thanks 1

Of course, it's hard to predict three months out, and some traveling to see family will probably interfere with some days, but here's what I'm tentatively planning to watch in December:

A Christmas Carol (Dist. in US by United Artists, 1951)
The Bishop's Wife (RKO, 1947)

Humoresque (Warner Bros., 1946)

Lassie Come Home (MGM, 1943)

Millie (RKO, 1931)

"Wuthering Heights" (CBS, 1957)

The Diary of Anne Frank (20th Century Fox, 1959)

It Happened on Fifth Avenue (Allied Artists, 1947)

The Philadelphia Story (MGM, 1940)

The Pink Panther (United Artists, 1964)
A Shot in the Dark (United Artists, 1964)

Bell Book and Candle (Columbia, 1958)

Smarty (Warner Bros., 1934)
Gold Diggers of 1933 (Warner Bros., 1933)

Gone With the Wind (Selznick/MGM, 1939)

Criss Cross (Universal, 1949)

Holiday Affair (RKO, 1949)
Remember the Night (Paramount, 1940)

Little Women (RKO, 1933)
Little Women (MGM, 1949)

The Fly (20th Century Fox, 1958)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (Universal, 1967)

Topper Returns (United Artists, 1941)

Zorba the Greek (20th Century Fox, 1964)
Lawrence of Arabia (Columbia, 1962)

The Sandpiper (MGM, 1965)
Cash on Demand (Columbia, 1961)

Going My Way (Paramount, 1944)
The Bells of St. Mary's (RKO, 1945)

The Shop Around the Corner (MGM, 1940)

Meet Me in St. Louis (MGM, 1944)
A Christmas Carol (MGM, 1938)
Meet John Doe (Warner Bros., 1941)

The Thin Man (MGM, 1934)

The Cincinnati Kid (MGM, 1965)
This Could Be the Night (MGM, 1957)

The Little Foxes (RKO, 1941)

Bells are Ringing (MGM, 1960)

A Star is Born (United Artists, 1937)
A Star is Born (Warner Bros., 1954)

• Like 2

I'm really surprised TCM isn't showing "Christmas in Connecticut" this year.  That's been a scheduling staple for the network for years.  Happy to see "The Holly and the Ivy" show up again.  I think it was a TCM premier last year, and if it wasn't, it was a first-time viewing for me, and I rather liked it.  I'm still puzzled why some Christmas movies get two showings in December, while others get only one (eg. "The Shop Around The Corner", "Meet Me In St. Louis", and "Holiday Affair"; all two-timers vs. "Remember the Night"; a solitary showing).

Pleased to see all the "Thin Man" mysteries playing on New Year's Eve during the daytime hours this year.

17 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I'm really surprised TCM isn't showing "Christmas in Connecticut" this year.  That's been a scheduling staple for the network for years.  Happy to see "The Holly and the Ivy" show up again.  I think it was a TCM premier last year, and if it wasn't, it was a first-time viewing for me, and I rather liked it.  I'm still puzzled why some Christmas movies get two showings in December, while others get only one (eg. "The Shop Around The Corner", "Meet Me In St. Louis", and "Holiday Affair"; all two-timers vs. "Remember the Night"; a solitary showing).

Pleased to see all the "Thin Man" mysteries playing on New Year's Eve during the daytime hours this year.

In December 2012, Barbara Stanwyck was Star of the Month. And I remember CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT didn't air that year. It was very noticeable since it was the holiday season and Stanwyck was the month's featured star.

I think they might make more money leasing the title to another platform (like Netflix, Hulu or Starz) during this particular time of the year.

I love how December 2nd is full of silent films and their sound counterparts, and December 16th with showings and remakes.

I don't even know what's going on with December 30th.

Plenty of noirs and Edward G. Robinson to make December a good one, but missing out on one of my favorite Christmas classics again; Larceny Inc. It'll probably be on again near Easter.

TCM Underground should have had a re-showing of those amazing Santa movies, especially the one where Merlin helps Santa defeat the Devil.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:58 AM, TopBilled said:

This is disappointing especially the New Year's Eve schedule.  Yes, why not a different theme?  I think they've done the Marx Brothers one year.  They could get Eddie Muller to do a New Year's Eve Noir.   Ugh, anything but That's Entertainment again.

There are so many other marathons on tv that time of year that people may just tune out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Peebs said:

This is disappointing especially the New Year's Eve schedule.  Yes, why not a different theme?  I think they've done the Marx Brothers one year.  They could get Eddie Muller to do a New Year's Eve Noir.   Ugh, anything but That's Entertainment again.

There are so many other marathons on tv that time of year that people may just tune out.  

Yes, there was a Marx brothers marathon one year. It should be something fun/different. Not the same old same auld lang syne.

• Like 2

I think New Year's Eve would be a perfect day to commit to all musical films. You know we don't nearly get to see MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS enough in December (joking! 😉)

They could mix in some we don't get on the channel very often, like Fred Astaire's THE SKY'S THE LIMIT, or some 20th Century musicals from Don Ameche, Betty Grable and Alice Faye. They could mix them in with the usual fare we see.

Then, in prime time, how about showing the musical biopics such as TIL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY, RHAPSODY IN BLUE, WORDS AND MUSIC and DEEP IN MY HEART in lieu of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT/DANCING compilation? Of course, I love musicals, so this sounds like a good idea to me...😄

• Like 3
On 9/8/2019 at 10:23 AM, Brrrcold said:

ps. I remember one NYE with all-Marx Brothers films.

And there was one NYE that was all Astaire/Rogers films - a big hit at my semi annual NYE party. The Thin Man marathon was a huge dud for partygoers-too serious & requiring engagement. The Marx Bros engaged so many viewers, I had to turn the volume up!

TCM NYE marathons are a great way for people to have that last big plate of lasagna or dessert and sober up before going home. Otherwise they have to sleep over in a haunted guest room, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2