Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

Toronto: Steve McQueen Biopic in the Works (Exclusive)

On 9/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, NipkowDisc said:

I hope they include that steve was great friends with the duke.

:)

Image result for steve mcqueen and john wayne

*The Duke was also his idol, there are a few other shots iof them online

I wanted the superb Citadel Films of Series on him, Natalie Wood & *Ford, they folded though I did get 6 thioough

they had what looked to be bad movie barely released last year on him

A few years ago I watched a documentary made about McQueen's troubles(much of it self-made) while making the movie Le Mans. It was shown at the local little art house cinema.

Wasn't bad at all (I'd give it a 3.5/5 star rating) but it confirmed in my wife's mind after she watched it with me of what a damn jerk the guy could be.

(...no, McQueen, NOT her husband here...ALTHOUGH, I must admit and as you folks undoubtedly know by now, there ARE times.....)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Dargo said:

A few years ago I watched a documentary made about McQueen's troubles(much of it self-made) while making the movie Le Mans. It was shown at the local little art house cinema.

Wasn't bad at all (I'd give it a 3.5/5 star rating) but it confirmed in my wife's mind after she watched it with me of what a damn jerk the guy could be.

(...no, McQueen, NOT her husband here...ALTHOUGH, I must admit and as you folks undoubtedly know by now, there ARE times.....)

LOL

Are you back from the cruise in France or are you going in a few weeks?

As for McQueen being a jerk;  Yea, I read things about that.   Doesn't impact his performances from what I can tell.

I know there was tension with this guy.    Each wanted the film to be called the The Magnificent ONE.

image.jpeg.9b4253f5202951bc068d4bab0b1a0371.jpeg

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you back from the cruise in France or are you going in a few weeks?

As for McQueen being a jerk;  Yea, I read things about that.   Doesn't impact his performances from what I can tell.

I know there was tension with this guy.    Each wanted the film to be called the The Magnificent ONE.

image.jpeg.9b4253f5202951bc068d4bab0b1a0371.jpeg

Hi James. Haven't gone yet. We'll be leaving for France in a few weeks.

And yeah as you said, reportedly the friction between Brynner and McQueen on the set of that movie is the stuff of legend alright.

Makes ya wonder if they'll recreate any of that in this upcoming biopic, and if so, who might play Brynner, AND who might come off as the bigger jerk between the two of 'em. Word was the bald one could be quite the jerk on occasion too, ya know. Most likely it would be Yul being portrayed so, and considering this flick will be about McQueen.

(...and heck for that matter, who might be playing all of McQueen's Hollywood contemporaries too, huh)

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

McQueen is one of those actors I liked a lot more before I knew much about him. Now, not so much.

You sure like yourself a whole lotta YOU, don'tcha!  So much that you'll judge an actor's work( and possibly a musician or any other artist) by how HIS behavior APART from any movie role fits in with your judgmental criteria. 

If I went along those lines, I'd have to toss all my FRANK ZAPPA and MILES DAVIS recordings, and my vintage AMBOY DUKES vinyl LPs because TED NUGENT was in the band.  AND rid myself of all those JOHN WAYNE movies and any other movies with WALTER BRENNAN  in them.

Sepiatone

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

You sure like yourself a whole lotta YOU, don'tcha! 

No, not at all. In fact, there are few if any people I like less. Well, maybe you, but that's about it.

If you notice in my quote that you posted, I didn't say anything about Steve McQueen's films or even his performances. I said that McQueen was an "actor that I liked more before I knew much about him". Since you seem to have difficulty with reading comprehension, I'll explain this more clearly - McQueen the person and his films/performances are two separate things. I can still watch and enjoy The Magnificent SevenThe Great Escape or Bullitt, while not caring for McQueen the person.

Oh, and I don't give a **** what you do with your Amboy Dukes records, although I'd have suggested never buying that garbage to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Wow guys! And here I would've thought the first bit of "controversy" started in this thread would have been after The Nipster made that "you just doan see real believable male-female relationships in the movies anymore" comment up there and then posted that clip of McQueen slappin' around MacGraw???!!!

LOL

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow guys! And here I would've thought the first bit of "controversy" started in this thread would have been after The Nipster made that "you just doan see real believable male-female relationships in the movies anymore" comment up there and then posted that clip of McQueen slappin' around MacGraw???!!!

LOL

Well if she was a "fifty foot schtootze babe" she could slap him around.

• Haha 3

Nice try at backpedaling LAWRENCE,  but your wording was misleading.  And your response leads me to think you actually liked McQueen as a person as well as an actor, but now that you know more about him, you don't like him as a person anymore.  :o  UNLESS of course, you at one time or another met and befriended McQueen and ended said friendship when you discovered he didn't measure up to your sterling standards.  I mean, I (and probably many other stable people) like artists( musicians, writers, actors, actresses, etc.) only in relation to their abilities in their art, and realize it's RARE that an actor or actress are no different in reality than who or what they portray on screen.  Same goes for musicians, writers and painters and such. My never having met ANY of them leaves me having NO  knowledge or feelings( either like or dislike) of them as individuals.  I mean.....

FRANK ZAPPA was a brilliant musician and composer and I've been a fan of his music for 50+ years now, and on live recordings he does come off as a cool kind of guy to hang out with.  But read any interview and you quickly learn he was a self absorbed insufferable boor. But, the MUSIC was( and still is) GREAT!   And yes, I know you can separate the artist from his/her work and their private personal behavior, but that wasn't how you made it appear. 

And on a personal( and unrelated) note, I can't  watch and enjoy BULLITT,  as I never thought the movie was one of Steve's better efforts.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 5:26 PM, Dargo said:

LOL

saw that exact same docu & well-made huh.  It seems his entire family had health and others troubled, son Chad McQueen is doing well thesedays at 57. He appeared in the Kate Kid (l984) & other stuff.

, Yeah, he was haunted by his father never recognizing him as his son & ran off when he was a kid, plus his mom's early demise 1965 at just 55 or so, then his daughter up & died from liver trouble, but that was yrs after he left. (she interred about a foot from Natalie Wood in t iny Westwood, cem)Most insist though he father was the nail in the coffin  He also did a stint in prison early on

There's a running docu on him y Mr. Skinner on youtube  But as he usually dies with his docu's he messes up the dates of certain things

At any rate he & Evel Knievel were my childfhood heroes!

The only bio flicks that worked for me were Dragon, the Bruce Lee story and The Doors. I can't think of any actor who could do a convincing Steve McQueen or a script that would be worth spending millions on. Better to just watch his films and the documentaries about him. There's lot of interesting material on YouTube such as Man On The Edge, narrated by James Coburn.