Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscars Sins of Omission, please vote?

How many are aware the AMPAS' Academy of Motion picture arts & Sciences card-carrying membership is now over 9,000?  It was only about 5yrs back wen the had approx. 5,000 & it now appears unikely they will stick to schedule & open that mammoth futuristic new headquarters/museum this year.  According to most sources some of it's $338 million budget people pd for!  WHO HAS SEEN IT BY NOW ONLINE OR OTHERWISE  LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF STAR WARS?

& everybody gets......about who has either won an Oscar or who hasn't, or what movie got robbed,etc  so below I'll start with y own (SINS OF OMISSION)>I only selected a few, but feel free to complain or otherwise about as many as you desire:

1st Spencer Tracy losing what woulda been his 3rd in The 0ld Man and the Sea (l958 WB's)

2nd place *Chaplin never winning but one competitive statue

3rd Garbo never winning (3 noms)

4th Hitchcock always losing (O for 5)

5th Saving Pvt Ryan losing the biggie  So many negative stories from guys that served in WW2 as well, swearing they would never watch them again

(P.S. I don't include Kane losing, but 1, because it lost to a magnificent picture in *Ford's *How Green Was My Valley But all say *Ford himself thought Sergeant York deserved the lot instead)

MANY MANY, MORE

This is all subjective.  I'd say in more recent times, the Academy Award should have gone to JAMIE FOXX for his previous year's effort in COLLATERAL before RAY.  Both excellent performances, Foxx then should have been given the "repeat" winnings like Hanks years earlier. 

How both SPENCER TRACY and FREDERIC MARCH didn't get statuettes for INHERIT THE WIND( and especially March not even getting a nomination) still baffles me.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

This is all subjective.  I'd say in more recent times, the Academy Award should have gone to JAMIE FOXX for his previous year's effort in COLLATERAL before RAY.  Both excellent performances, Foxx then should have been given the "repeat" winnings like Hanks years earlier. 

How both SPENCER TRACY and FREDERIC MARCH didn't get statuettes for INHERIT THE WIND( and especially March not even getting a nomination) still baffles me.

Sepiatone

Foxx won the same yr he was up for s. actor (2004) for Ray and Collateral   He belongs to that elite grouping of being up for 2 Oscars in the same year  Things got really bizarre & the Academy nommed Barry Fitzgerald twice but for the same film 1944's sweeper Going My Way  (P.SA. did you see yet where I listed the official Best Actor contenders rom 1960?)

22 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I'd go s far-(despite who premiere magazine once voted) *Tracy as Darrow in Inherit the wind as easily among the all-time male performances ever

I bet someone on here has a long running answer, please try?   Maria Falconetti in 1928's French silent the Passion of Joan of Arc wasn't even and yet any historians call this the single best per y an actress ever?

Who knows why it was left out  That year  think *Mary Pickford won instead in Coquette (l928-29)

• Like 1

wow, I thought you fans of cinema would be jumping on this topic BIG-TIME!?

Doesn't anybody have problems-(both ways) with the often bizarre winners and non winners in Academy award history?

Like most I have a lot more but tried to limit them

Orson not winning BD for anything?

The Third man not even up for Best Film?

Stanwyck going 0 for 4?

Night of the Hunter being shut out?

The Grapes of Wrath not taking BP Gold?

Hollywoods/AMPAS ongoing in justice vs out & out comedy?

& as I posted either here or elsewhere a staggering rippoff in Maria Falconetti losing & not even nominated for 1928;s Passion of Joan of Arc'?

Daniel Day-Lewis stunning upset by Adrien Brody for 2002?

King Kong being totally left out in the cold for 1932-33?

& more

Where is LawrenceA, Top Billed & the rest?

4 hours ago, spence said:

I bet someone on here has a long running answer, please try?   Maria Falconetti in 1928's French silent the Passion of Joan of Arc wasn't even and yet any historians call this the single best per y an actress ever?

Who knows why it was left out  That year  think *Mary Pickford won instead in Coquette (l928-29)

This is a difficult question to answer, Spence. I would agree that Falconetti's performance is one of the greatest in history but the background on the production and release of this film is so convoluted, it might preclude any totally correct answer. Firstly, if I recall correctly the AA probably would have entered this film, being that it was directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer but produced in France, only in possibly the Special Achievement category, due to the foreign implications, but that category is not even mentioned in the first year of selections. Secondly, though I have five books about the film, I have not yet discovered whether it was even entered into any such proceedings for awards, though it did receive some like the National Board of Review's in 1929. Plus due to the destruction of it in various fires in the late 1920's and its consequent reconstruction, with also cuts having been made by those in authority, left Dreyer possibly in a strange situation with no exact reproduction of his beginning work. It was originally released in Copenhagen in early 1928 and later in Paris that same year, but its progression at being seen worldwide is a bit confusing. I shall continue my research and see what I can find in my books on Dreyer. Falconetti also would probably not have been seen by the entire film community as popular as the mainstream film actresses being honored in Hollywood ceremonies, which could have proved to be problematic. I would definitely vote Renee Falconetti in over Pickford as of today, that's for sure!