Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wunderlong88

Classic World War 2 movies - chronologically

Another good foreign world war two film is the Battle of Taierzhuang (1986), about the famous defeat of the Japanese Imperialists to take the city in 1938. This is from mainland China and is rare because it depicts Chiang Kai Shek and his Nationalists in a relatively positive light, though it also shows them as bumbling and disorganized. The acting is stiff but the war scenes are shot well for the time period.

• Like 1

Seven Beauties (1975) - two Italian soldiers get sent to the Russian Front and have to fight in cardboard shoes, they go AWOL when their troop train gets bombed by the allies and try to make their way back home to Italy. The observe the Nazi's machine gunning down whole families of Jews into mass graves and realize that are just as guilty since Italy is part of the Axis. They get captured and sent to a German concentration/work camp. All the above is juxtaposed with Pasqualino Settebellezze tragic-comedic recounting of his life story and how he down he gets. His femme fatale is his own sister who gets him started on the downward spiral.

• Like 1

I have noticed that someone included "Casablanca" in classic WWII movies. Though this super classic masterpiece takes place during WWII, it is not, in my opinion, a movie to be included in that category. It is one of the greatest love story ever told in film, which happens to take place during WWII. A WWII movie, to me, is one where the main story line revolves around the actual war action. And my all-time favorite WWII movie is "The Guns of Navarone" 

Edited by John Louis Gerdes
better choice of word