Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
N O I R

Which Lost Film Would You Love to See?

If you went back in time to see a certain movie which is currently lost, what would it/they be? 

Here the films I’d love to see:

The Varmint (1917)

Michael O’Holloran (1948)

Murder at Monte Carlo (1935)

Convention City (1933)

London After Midnight (1927)

The Patriot (1928)

Chikara to onna no yo no naka (1933)

• Like 1

The original 9 hour version of Von Storheim's Greed (1924)

Arirang (1926)

Humor Risk (1921) 

• Like 1

Charlie Chan Carries On (1931) - The first appearance of Warner Oland as the title detective. One of six lost Charlie Chan movies (four sound movies with Warner Oland and two silent movies with others).

• Like 1

Ingagi

"One of the most notorious of the lost jungle exploitation films:"

I don't think it's considered lost anymore, since there's evidently a print at the Library of Congress. But it might as well be lost -- it's never shown anywhere. Son of Ingagi, which has nothing to do with the original apart from an ape-like creature, is readily available.

MV5BZDY0NGRjNTUtM2U5Ni00OWRlLWFiYmItYWM0

Ingagi-movieposter-1930.jpg

Here's a description, from Wikipedia. How can anyone not want to see this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingagi

"Ingagi is a 1930 Pre-Code exploitation film. It purports to be a documentary about "Sir Hubert Winstead" of London on an expedition to the Belgian Congo, and depicts a tribe of gorilla-worshiping women encountered by the explorer. The film claims to show a ritual in which African women are given over to gorillas as sex slaves, but in actuality was mostly filmed in Los Angeles, using white actresses in blackface in place of natives. It was produced and distributed by Nat Spitzer's Congo Pictures, which had been formed expressly to make the film. Although marketed under the pretense of being an ethnographic film, the premise was a fabrication, leading the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors Association to retract any involvement with the film.

The film trades heavily on its nudity and on the suggestion of sex between a woman and a gorilla. Its success motivated RKO Radio Pictures to invest in the 1933 film, King Kong. RKO owned several of the theatres where Ingagi was shown, including one of the first, the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco, where it opened April 5, 1930."

The later Son of Ingagi (1940) is not a sequel but is the first all-black cast horror movie and features a house haunted by a female mad scientist and her missing link monster."

• Like 3

OK.   Not exactly lost, but two that don't seem to be readily available anywhere:

• The Art of Love (1965)
  • Tatie Danielle (1990)

MV5BYTNlYjUzNWQtM2Y2MC00MDFiLWI4YmUtODdkZWJjMDdhODMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BOWE0ZjIyMDUtZDFkYy00YWM4LWIyOWMtYmVhODRiMjI5OGNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA5NjUyNjM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Alan Baron's followup film to Blast Of Silence, Terror in the City (aka Pie In The Sky) 

Image result for terror In The City poster

Not a lost film but never shown anymore

The Blue Veil - Jane Wyman- MoMA showed it years ago and it was on Youtube years ago ( I watched it when it was on Youtube) but it was removed and not shown anywhere.

The Great Gatsby (1926)

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1928)

And then there are scads of pre-1935 Fox, Universal, and Columbia films that aren't lost, but are so tightly held by the studios or archives they might as well be gone.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chillyfillyinak said:

Tovarich! One of the only films I have not seen starring the great Claudette Colbert.

That's not a lost film. It's available to watch online right now.

Four Devils (1928) one of only a few films the great director F.W Murneau made in the U.S.

• Like 1

Laurel And Hardy short Hats Off (1927), it is considered to be the inspiration  of the later classic The Music Box. In this one Stan and Ollie attempt to deliver a washing machine up the same steps they did with the piano in the later film. 

Laurel & Hardy: Hats Off (2005) directed by Liam Dale • Reviews ...

...As far as " First World " go, I am interested by the fact that there are a number of mainstream British feature  film's from as late as the 60s that are lost! I suppose they held in common not having been distributed at all, or much, in the U.S.A., even just to television in later years,which would have spread out the locations they were shown in and, most of all, simply increases the number of prints to have a chance to survive!

I've read of low-budget Brit outfits that made regional " Northern " comedies that were aimed at audiences in the North of England, mote than London...an outfit appropriately called Manchunian Films, for one. I suppose these might be pretty obscure to this Yank, however.

My vote is for CONVENTION CITY. I'd be happy if we could see even a few surviving scenes or fragments.

I've always been interested in LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any prints left of the film.

Too bad because it sounded real interesting with me, especially with Lon Chaney as the star.

• Like 1

Didn't LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT's surviving print or prints gets victimized by a vault fire? 

On 6/16/2020 at 4:22 PM, Mr. Gorman said:

Didn't LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT's surviving print or prints gets victimized by a vault fire? 

Yes, many films from the 20s and 30s are currently lost because of how flammable nitrate is. 

• Sad 2