Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NBCUniversal Launching Its Own Streaming Service

On 9/18/2019 at 9:09 AM, laffite said:

I watch via a desktop computer with Wifi. No TV involved (I don't have one). I close all programs. It I try to navigate to a part of the movie, it may be okay but it will freeze shortly. Trying to navigate results in continuous buffering or a moving picture that will freeze  shortly. I haven't actually tried to wait it out but it goes on quite awhile so I conclude it is stuck. I find that if I want to view a movie I must not navigate. Just put it on and let it go to the end. Thankfully, I can pause and unpause without problems. As mentioned above, if I'm watching a movie and it freezes, trying to back it up and trying again results in a freeze AT THE VERY SAME FRAME every time. If I try to resume by jumping ahead, I will miss some of the movie and there is no guarantee that will not freeze again. Often though, trying to jump ahead results in continuous buffering, no resumption at all. Maybe I should wait out a buffering sequence. It would not be acceptable if it took a long time but if it comes back on eventually then indicated would be a buffering problem, maybe. Any ideas based on this information? Thanks, Joe.

I'm quoting myself here and I mention this because there are those who feel it is necessary to apologize for that. I don't feel that way myself so long as it seems appropriate. Here, I thought to jog the memory of those who were helping with the above problem and I want to share the solution in case that might be a help for anyone else in the future.

It seems there is a spec in my computer which puts a limit on the speed for downloads. Downloads only, as in all other respects the computer answers the definition of "high-speed" internet. My computer is only three years old. I had no problems with Netflix when I had that, FWIW. I have a laptop which is two years old and I can use that since the download capability is stronger. The download speed for the slow computer reveals a raw score of 5, the laptop reveals a download speed of 23, when tested. As expected, there are no problems with the laptop. These speeds are specific to wifi, I believe. If the slowpoke was hard wired, presumably I would have a faster download speed (I forgot to ask the tech person t hat.) The solution therefore is to buy a wifi adapter. The glitch is that the cable must plug directly into the computer. This may be a problem because the router and computer are on opposite sides of the room with nagging impediments to an easy hook up. I will probably simply resort to the laptop for the CC channel. The takeaway then is probably that older desktops (or perhaps even newer ones) do not respond well when downloading on a wifi signal. Maybe. Or perhaps it just depends on the specs of each individual desktop computer.

///

1 hour ago, laffite said:

I'm quoting myself here and I mention this because there are those who feel it is necessary to apologize for that. I don't feel that way myself so long as it seems appropriate. Here, I thought to jog the memory of those who were helping with the above problem and I want to share the solution in case that might be a help for anyone else in the future.

It seems there is a spec in my computer which puts a limit on the speed for downloads. Downloads only, as in all other respects the computer answers the definition of "high-speed" internet. My computer is only three years old. I had no problems with Netflix when I had that, FWIW. I have a laptop which is two years old and I can use that since the download capability is stronger. The download speed for the slow computer reveals a raw score of 5, the laptop reveals a download speed of 23, when tested. As expected, there are no problems with the laptop. These speeds are specific to wifi, I believe. If the slowpoke was hard wired, presumably I would have a faster download speed (I forgot to ask the tech person t hat.) The solution therefore is to buy a wifi adapter. The glitch is that the cable must plug directly into the computer. This may be a problem because the router and computer are on opposite sides of the room with nagging impediments to an easy hook up. I will probably simply resort to the laptop for the CC channel. The takeaway then is probably that older desktops (or perhaps even newer ones) do not respond well when downloading on a wifi signal. Maybe. Or perhaps it just depends on the specs of each individual desktop computer.

///

Could be a driver problem with your old WiFi adapter on your desktop.  Bad combination of hardware and software.  It probably never worked correctly to begin with, unless it is really that old an adapter, which is another possibility - but not at 3 years old.  Or maybe just a faulty piece of hardware.  These are not normal conditions. 

A new USB WiFi adapter on your computer is a cheap and easy fix.  Have someone get you one of these that will work for your computer, and have them take out your old Wifi adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=USB WiFi adapter

P.S. It may even be caused by interference by your neighbors if you live in close proximity to others in an apartment or condo.  So having someone over to help you figure out the actual cause may be a good idea.

We know the actual cause. The computer does not have the capability to download quickly on its own with a WiFi connection. This was determined by viewing the specs of the computer (so I was told). Or was it the result of the download speed tests? So it needs an adapter for a booster. There is no adapter now. There was no old adapter (unless you mean the whatever it is already in the router upon initial installation). It was using the wifi I have in the apartment without an adapter. That's my understanding anyway. If what I just said doesn't make sense then I am not understanding the explanation I got from the tech person. Anyway, the adapter (USB as explained to me) is the answer, but that means the desktop in no longer independent/portable and I'll have to run the cable all over the room to connect the router to the PC, boo on that. As I said above, I'll just use the laptop for the CC Channel because it is capable to begin with and does not need an adapter. I have the feeling I don't have complete command of the situation but at least I know what needs to be done, etc. I thought the resolution of my problem might have been instructive to others, but perhaps not. Thanks, OH, appreciate your input, as always.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:46 AM, laffite said:

We know the actual cause. The computer does not have the capability to download quickly on its own with a WiFi connection. This was determined by viewing the specs of the computer (so I was told). Or was it the result of the download speed tests? So it needs an adapter for a booster. There is no adapter now. There was no old adapter (unless you mean the whatever it is already in the router upon initial installation). It was using the wifi I have in the apartment without an adapter. That's my understanding anyway. If what I just said doesn't make sense then I am not understanding the explanation I got from the tech person. Anyway, the adapter (USB as explained to me) is the answer, but that means the desktop in no longer independent/portable and I'll have to run the cable all over the room to connect the router to the PC, boo on that. As I said above, I'll just use the laptop for the CC Channel because it is capable to begin with and does not need an adapter. I have the feeling I don't have complete command of the situation but at least I know what needs to be done, etc. I thought the resolution of my problem might have been instructive to others, but perhaps not. Thanks, OH, appreciate your input, as always. 

I quoted you in bold text above where there is a misunderstanding. 

To establish things a bit more.  Your Wireless Router has its own permanent built-in Wifi adapter.  It is a mini wireless receiver/transmitter.  This will never be changed, nor is there any problem with it (your laptop apparently works fine with it).

Your laptop computer already has its own WiFi adapter, and so does your desktop computer.  So you already have three wireless devices in your place.  You don't need any more.  The one in your desktop computer may just be insufficient or not working correctly.  So that one might just need to be replaced.

No problem.  Essentially there may be one of two causes here.  One or both may be to blame, but since your desktop computer is only 3 years old, and you live in an apartment, I would hedge my bets on #2.

1) If there is a problem with your existing WiFi adapter:
A new USB Wireless Adapter may help, if the one that came with the computer is not working for some reason.  The one that came with your desktop computer is likely on the inside of the computer case, so you can't see it without opening the case up.  The ones I linked to above plug in on the outside, into the USB sockets, the same type of connection on your desktop which you would plug in your keyboard or a mouse.

2) If you are in a congested environment:
You said you are in an apartment.  So you are in close proximity to other people who will be using these same types of devices, and at times all at once. 

Most common scenario here is for people to connect their cell phones via WiFi to their Internet Router to save on data charges, while they are at home.  Many use computers over a WiFi connection too, like you and me.

The end result is all your neighbor's WiFi signals come through the walls, ceiling, and floor, and your devices may not understand each other and may fail to communicate. 

Think of it as like this.  You are in a big room with only a few other people, and you are trying to have a conversation at normal reasonable volume with just one other person nearby.  You and that other person will probably be able to hear each other just fine.  Things are good.

Now imagine that same space fills up with a bunch of other people, all talking at the same volume as the two of you.  You are not allowed to yell or talk directly into the other person's ear.  Soon enough the two of you will be drowned out, won't be able to hear each other, and will fail to have an intelligible conversation. 

That is what could be happening here.  The radio signals from all your apartment neighbors may be interfering and drowning out your own signals.  That could explain the slow-down for your desktop.

In this case, getting a new Wifi Adapter for your desktop either may help, or may not help at all.  Actually, it would be a bit of a gamble, based on its effective signal strength.  (Your laptop might just have a stronger signal strength than the desktop at this point - or may be physically closer to the Internet Router, and putting a different Wifi Adapter into your desktop may or may not fix that situation.  If indeed that does fix things, it will probably be only temporary, until one of your neighbors moves their stuff around or gets some different equipment.  It could be a non-ending game of cat and mouse.

[One of my friends lives in a condo and had this exact situation with streaming video.  He wasn't happy until he ran a direct wire between his router and computer.  No more WiFi interference from his neighbors for that setup.]

A direct wire like this will get rid of wireless issues forever, unconditionally.  No if's, and's, or but's.  No more WiFi for that computer.  :D
Cat_5.jpg

Hope that helps explain it a bit better.

• Thanks 1
On 9/17/2019 at 11:55 AM, Dr. Somnambula said:

In addition to the exclusive streaming rights to the beloved NBC sitcoms “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation,” some of the most popular NBC and classic TV series of all time will be available on Peacock, including “30 Rock,” “Bates Motel,” “Battlestar Gallactica,” “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “Cheers,” “Chrisley Knows Best,” “Covert Affairs,” “Downton Abbey,” “Everyone Loves Raymond,” “Frasier,” “Friday Night Lights,” “House,” “Keeping Up with the Kardashians,” “King Of Queens,” “Married…With Children,”“Monk,” “Parenthood,” “Psych,” “Royal Pains,” “Saturday Night Live,” “Superstore,” “The Real Housewives,” “Top Chef,” and “Will & Grace.”

So it sounds like if you are interested in the kind of stuff AMC played back when it was American Movie Classics the answer is NO. Apparently nobody working there has ever heard of anything made before 1990. But that doesn't mean they won't lock it up in a vault and prevent TCM from playing it either.  Why would anybody want to keep up with the Kardashians anyways.

• Thanks 1
On 10/14/2019 at 2:24 AM, MovieCollectorOH said:

@ MovieCollector and other geek-oriented folks, thanks.

I acquired a TV from a friend for cheap and it is working well. I bought a DVD player and have encountered a problem. If you pause a movie, you have five minutes to un-pause or it the unit shuts off. You have therefore to start all over (I can't find a last-memory function). It's a CRAIG that I bought from Rite Aid for $30. I get up for the bathroom, making tea, a incoming telephone call, etc. etc., that often exceed the five minute wondow. I am currently back to watching DVDs on the computer, for the time being. Do I need a more expensive DVD player, or something (and if so, what?) Or do I need to keep the butt on the chair and live with it?

28 minutes ago, laffite said:

I acquired a TV from a friend for cheap and it is working well. I bought a DVD player and have encountered a problem. If you pause a movie, you have five minutes to un-pause or it the unit shuts off. You have therefore to start all over (I can't find a last-memory function). It's a CRAIG that I bought from Rite Aid for $30. I get up for the bathroom, making tea, a incoming telephone call, etc. etc., that often exceed the five minute wondow. I am currently back to watching DVDs on the computer, for the time being. Do I need a more expensive DVD player, or something (and if so, what?) Or do I need to keep the butt on the chair and live with it?

Not sure if this applies to your particular model, but I found a manual for a Craig DVD player that says if you press 'stop' (instead of pause), the player will remember where you left off if you next press the 'play' button to start it up again.  This might also keep it from powering off if it is left in this condition instead of paused (wishful thinking on my part).  The manual also says if you press 'stop' twice, then the player will start over from the beginning the next time 'play' is pressed.  Hope this works for you.

The above comment makes sense. Haven't used my player for a while. There might be an info button that will indicate how much time has elapsed. There should also be a seek feature. If nothing else, write down the time and seek that time when you return. I think you can search by chapter too.

Back in the VCR days, a tape would do the same thing as a safety feature. 

Thanks for your help, both. I was inspired by your comments to actually consult the manual. Eureka! Hey, Laffite, when all else fails ... So I see there is a RESUME that has to be turn on. Any disc that the unit recognizes will automatically resume where left off, even if other discs have been used in the meantime. Perfect. The deal is back on. Mr DVD Player, we can do business after all. Thanks again for the heads up.

• Like 1

I've been having connectivity problems for a while now. The wifi router is in my landlady's house. I am renting the in-law apartment. At certain times on certain days, I can't connect to the web. Sometimes I connect, but the pages freezes or a window pops up - can't display this page. It's extremely frustrating. Landlady says the router has been checked and is okay. I have a newer computer. It seems to be better, but only at certain times of the day. This morning I have had no trouble at all navigating. So the wifi traffic in my neighborhood may seem to be the cause. I could not got online at all on Saturday night. 

I understand why they're doing this, but I'm so frustrated with every company creating their own streaming service. It's pretty short-sighted, and is only going to lead to the rise of pirating/torrenting again (which I do believe has already begun to increase.) I have a few of the big services, but overall I think my plan is to wait it out until a new bundled service comes along...