Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheVFM

How long is Ava Duvenay going to be on The Essentials?

On 9/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, mr6666 said:

Yikes.......

are they ACTUALLY re-airing "Warm December" as an ESSENTIAL??  :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

It's an essential. Name another film from the era that depicted black people positively as  sexual beings as opposed to the  negative images churned out by Hollywood since  the film industry's inception.

See the source image

10 hours ago, Debra Swadish said:

Why is Ava been on the essentials for the last 4 months repeating every movie.. I have to turn it off. I loved the movie Sounder, but if I have to see it one more time, I am going to end up hating a great movie. Please stop. Stop. STOP. 

I think all of the Essentials series have included repeats. It's perhaps more noticeable now because she included lower quality movies.

22 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think all of the Essentials series have included repeats. It's perhaps more noticeable now because she included lower quality movies.

Yeah, she should have programmed more classics like "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think all of the Essentials series have included repeats. It's perhaps more noticeable now because she included movies I don't like.

Fixed.

The Essentials is coming back this next year, just giving you a word of notice. And its back to being just TCM Staples 101. No more Ava though. She is being replaced by Brad Bird, director of the acclaimed animated films The iron Giant, The Incredibles (and its sequel as well. He voices the Edith Head inspired character Edna Mode in both), and Ratatouille. The notice was made in the outro after the encore showing of A Warm December on January 25th, which can still be found on Watch TCM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The Essentials is coming back this next year, just giving you a word of notice. And its back to being just TCM Staples 101. No more Ava though. She is being replaced by Brad Bird, director of the acclaimed animated films The iron Giant, The Incredibles (and its sequel as well. He voices the Edith Head inspired character Edna Mode in both), and Ratatouille. The notice was made in the outro after the encore showing of A Warm December on January 25th, which can still be found on Watch TCM.

Where did you find this information?

I love Edna Mode.  She's the best part of The Incredibles.  I'm not particularly a fan of The Incredibles for probably a superficial reason.  I hate how the mom has these unnaturally enormous hips and I really dislike her voice. 

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Edna Mode.  She's the best part of The Incredibles.  I'm not particularly a fan of The Incredibles for probably a superficial reason.  I hate how the mom has these unnaturally enormous hips and I really dislike her voice. 

I saw Warm December on Spectrum On Demand last night, and the information still appears in the Watch TCM cut starting at 1:51:15.

http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/95108

• Thanks 1

Gonna miss her.  She really knew her stuff.  Not many co-hosts go much beyond how much they like this or that, or how great this or that is.  She spoke intelligently, with insight and knowledge.  I hope she'll come back and host again in the future.

11 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Bird also directed the live action films "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol" (2011, considered one of the best installments of the long-running Tom Cruise franchise) and "Tomorrowland" (2015, which starred George Clooney, but was a box-office disappointment).

He also wrote, produced and directed "Family Dog," the only all-animated episode of Steven Spielberg's 1980s NBC anthology series "Amazing Stories."

Image result for family dog animated

• Thanks 1

Very glad to say good riddance to Ava and her leftist agenda, along with her non-essential duds. 

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 4:18 PM, speedracer5 said:

I hate how the mom has these unnaturally enormous hips and I really dislike her voice. 

I mean, the mom is Holly Hunter, right? So you're probably not going to like pretty much any of her movies (except maybe The Piano, in which she doesn't speak!)

22 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I mean, the mom is Holly Hunter, right? So you're probably not going to like pretty much any of her movies (except maybe The Piano, in which she doesn't speak!)

The reason for her speech pattern is that she is deaf in her left ear, from a case of the mumps when she was a child.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, speedracer5 said:

Yep! That’s a pretty petty reason! Personally, I find Holly Hunter’s voice to be very authentic and full of character! I would hate for her to apologize for it.

38 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I saw The Piano back in the day when it first came out on video.  I did not like that movie and haven't seen it since.  That wasn't because of Hunter, it was because of her fingers getting chopped off in the movie. Ugh.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

Yep! That’s a pretty petty reason! Personally, I find Holly Hunter’s voice to be very authentic and full of character! I would hate for her to apologize for it.

I never said she had to apologize for her voice. 

People are allowed to dislike things for petty reasons as long as they aren't hurting anyone or themselves.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 4:31 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I'm not sure this is ANY improvement. I won't be watching......

• Like 1

The worst part -she was treated as "the SECOND COMING".

Her most dubious selectiom - "A VERY WARM DECEMBER".

On 2/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, Hibi said:

I'm not sure this is ANY improvement. I won't be watching......

Same.

Bird just may have some interesting animated film choices. That would be worth watching (for my liking.)

Anyway, I'll give him a shot!

On 2/29/2020 at 10:44 AM, Ray Banacki said:

The worst part -she was treated as "the SECOND COMING".

Her most dubious selectiom - "A VERY WARM DECEMBER".

ROFL!!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 5:19 AM, cigarjoe said:

Well I caught LES RENDEZ-VOUS D'ANNA (1978) and HOTEL MONTERREY (1972) while waiting for Noir Alley.

They were both what I'd call art films, some interesting photography in both but I wouldn't call them essential to anything except possibly to Ava Duvenay. Obviously they were super low budget, the first had essentially a camera shooting out the window of a train then cutting to the star and her various relationships and interactions with people she meets, then back out the window, sometimes the window is a car nor taxi window you certainly got the somber mood and loneliness that the director was conveying. 

Unfortunately, this sort of camera shooting extended beyond looking out a window of a train. It takes a Zen master to get through this, but I wouldn't call it a disaster. All of this studied camera work was pretentious.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:51 AM, nakano said:

I did the same but I used fast forward for Hotel Monterey,i hoped to see Greta Garbo coming out the elevator dressed as a bag lady going for her walk..

That might have been a good rendez-vous for Anna. I doubt she (Anna) would have made much of it. She doesn't get too excited about anything.

• Thanks 1

Ava DuVernay Is Developing ‘Wings Of Fire’ Series Adaptation With Warner Bros. Animation

By Alex Dudok de Wit | 03/09/2020 2:50 pm | 0

Ava DuVernay, the acclaimed filmmaker known for her work in live action, has teamed up with Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) to develop the animated family tv series Wings of Fire.

Here are the details:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/warner-bros/ava-duvernay-is-developing-wings-of-fire-series-adaptation-with-warner-bros-187390.html

What is going on with TCM? 

In the many years since TCM began I have never had to change the channel and watch newer productions which I usually dislike! 

Granted I'm old and grew up watching the early years of late night television, not for the TV content but because they showed the best of the best films of the true golden age of film!

These young people today seem to think that just because a film is twenty five years old, that some how makes it is a classic... truly a ridiculous thought or concept!  As if a production has acquired some sort of story quality, prestige or stature simply by existing for a certain amount of time.  That kind of logic seems to prevail everywhere today. 

I actually met a few film pioneers like Billy Wilder and Raul Walsh who I had the pleasure of working on a production with, in the late 1970s.  Anyway none of that matters.  What does matter is that I have been on both sides of the fence working on films and watched what I call the classic films from the golden age of film and film noir more than anything else... and I have never had to change the channel to watch anything else so much before this last year or so! 

As far as I am concerned I own thousands of movies which I would rather watch over and over again and again until I have memorized them, rather than waist my time watching the Ava Duvenay or Jacqueline Stewart of Silent Sundays picks. 

I just get so bored I would rather do anything else...  Story is everything although some films are made for a male audience and some aim for a female audience and some may have some redeeming qualities, of some kind in every production, usually the story is the most defining part and the acting is second to that which makes films great. 

Unfortunately Awards and film festivals are more about promotional avenues than anything else.