Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trump Derangement Syndrome

Donald Trump's attack on Greta Thunberg is WAY beyond the pale

(CNN) If an adult male mocked a teenage girl, you would condemn it.

And rightly so. Because that is the sort of thing that -- no matter your politics -- we can all agree on. That adults should stay away from mocking kids. Especially publicly. Especially especially when more than 60 million people will see the mockery the instant you do it.

Which brings me to President Donald Trump. And a tweet he sent late Monday night about 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg.

"She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!" Trump tweeted sarcastically above a link to Thunberg's speech at the United Nations General Assembly meeting on Monday. "People are suffering, people are dying, entire ecosystems are collapsing," Thunberg told the UN audience. "We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth."

Was she passionate? Yes. Was she upset? Yes. Does she have every right to those feelings -- particularly given the dire predictions about the warming climate and what it could mean for our planet? Absolutely yes.

Unfortunately, it's not at all surprising that Trump saw fit to make fun of Thunberg's passion and emotion. This is who he is -- a schoolyard bully who doesn't differentiate between a 16-year-old girl and Joe Biden. Or a Gold Star family. Or a prisoner of war. Or white nationalists and those protesting their ideology of hate.

Even Trump's former communications director-turned-recent public critic, Anthony Scaramucci, pointed out that the tweet was a low blow.
"Parents in America and around the world: he went after a 16 year old girl yesterday. ⁦@realDonaldTrump⁩ unfit to serve," Scaramucci tweeted.

What is truly depressing is that Trump's supporters will defend this attack. Here's how:
1) He wasn't joking! He was totally serious in his praise for her!
2) He was joking and it was freaking hilarious! Thunberg was yelling and shouting! She got what she deserved! All you liberal media snowflakes can't take a joke!

On the first justification, Trump's default approach to those with whom he disagrees is sarcasm. The idea that he posted a totally genuine tweet praising Thunberg as "very happy," when it's quite clear she was anything but, makes it obvious that Trump was mocking her. If you can't see that, it's probably best you stop reading right here.

On the second excuse, well, that's the real problem at work in the country today. If everything can be justified by how much it allegedly freaks out the liberals or the media, then you can justify anything Trump does. Heck, Trump shooting someone in the middle of 5th Avenue -- an actual "joke" he has made -- would be absolutely hilarious under this logic to the President's supporters. Look at the media freaking out. Ha ha ha ha ha!

So, yeah. You might think I am exaggerating -- and, I am, slightly, to make a point. But the justification of everything Trump does as totally fine as long as it makes liberals and the media (and the political establishment more broadly) uncomfortable is a very slippery slope. And one that Trump's supporters seem entirely comfortable sliding down all the way to oblivion.

Here's the thing: Even pieces like this one condemning Trump for his comments on a 16-year-old girl -- and I can't emphasize that fact strongly enough -- will be lumped into the broad category of "Trump Derangement Syndrome" by the President's supporters. Trump is messing with the media so bad! They don't know what to do! He must be doing something right!

He's not. Take the politics out of it. Think of your own teenager or a friend who has a teenager. Would you want the President of the United States mocking him or her solely because what they believe is different than what he believes, and they have the audacity to speak out about it?

You shouldn't. Because there are some things that are beyond politics. Things that are right and things that are wrong. This is one of them. Period.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/politics/donald-trump-greta-thunberg/index.html

ch.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
9 minutes ago, noah80 said:

Donald Trump's attack on Greta Thunberg is WAY beyond the pale

(CNN) If an adult male mocked a teenage girl, you would condemn it.

And rightly so. Because that is the sort of thing that -- no matter your politics -- we can all agree on. That adults should stay away from mocking kids. Especially publicly. Especially especially when more than 60 million people will see the mockery the instant you do it.

Which brings me to President Donald Trump. And a tweet he sent late Monday night about 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg.

"She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!" Trump tweeted sarcastically above a link to Thunberg's speech at the United Nations General Assembly meeting on Monday. "People are suffering, people are dying, entire ecosystems are collapsing," Thunberg told the UN audience. "We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth."

Was she passionate? Yes. Was she upset? Yes. Does she have every right to those feelings -- particularly given the dire predictions about the warming climate and what it could mean for our planet? Absolutely yes.

Unfortunately, it's not at all surprising that Trump saw fit to make fun of Thunberg's passion and emotion. This is who he is -- a schoolyard bully who doesn't differentiate between a 16-year-old girl and Joe Biden. Or a Gold Star family. Or a prisoner of war. Or white nationalists and those protesting their ideology of hate.

Even Trump's former communications director-turned-recent public critic, Anthony Scaramucci, pointed out that the tweet was a low blow.
"Parents in America and around the world: he went after a 16 year old girl yesterday. ⁦@realDonaldTrump⁩ unfit to serve," Scaramucci tweeted.

What is truly depressing is that Trump's supporters will defend this attack. Here's how:
1) He wasn't joking! He was totally serious in his praise for her!
2) He was joking and it was freaking hilarious! Thunberg was yelling and shouting! She got what she deserved! All you liberal media snowflakes can't take a joke!

On the first justification, Trump's default approach to those with whom he disagrees is sarcasm. The idea that he posted a totally genuine tweet praising Thunberg as "very happy," when it's quite clear she was anything but, makes it obvious that Trump was mocking her. If you can't see that, it's probably best you stop reading right here.

On the second excuse, well, that's the real problem at work in the country today. If everything can be justified by how much it allegedly freaks out the liberals or the media, then you can justify anything Trump does. Heck, Trump shooting someone in the middle of 5th Avenue -- an actual "joke" he has made -- would be absolutely hilarious under this logic to the President's supporters. Look at the media freaking out. Ha ha ha ha ha!

So, yeah. You might think I am exaggerating -- and, I am, slightly, to make a point. But the justification of everything Trump does as totally fine as long as it makes liberals and the media (and the political establishment more broadly) uncomfortable is a very slippery slope. And one that Trump's supporters seem entirely comfortable sliding down all the way to oblivion.

Here's the thing: Even pieces like this one condemning Trump for his comments on a 16-year-old girl -- and I can't emphasize that fact strongly enough -- will be lumped into the broad category of "Trump Derangement Syndrome" by the President's supporters. Trump is messing with the media so bad! They don't know what to do! He must be doing something right!

He's not. Take the politics out of it. Think of your own teenager or a friend who has a teenager. Would you want the President of the United States mocking him or her solely because what they believe is different than what he believes, and they have the audacity to speak out about it?

You shouldn't. Because there are some things that are beyond politics. Things that are right and things that are wrong. This is one of them. Period.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/politics/donald-trump-greta-thunberg/index.html

ch.jpg

This is about par for the course. Anybody who attacks and makes fun of disabled people and Gold Star families is up for any disgusting behavior.

• Sad 1

Fox News apologizes for guest calling Greta Thunberg 'mentally ill'

Michael Knowles called the teenage climate activist mentally ill and said she was being exploited by the left, when he appeared on the network's evening newscast Monday.
...... says he would never appear on the network again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fox-news-apologizes-guest-calling-greta-thunberg-mentally-ill-n1058241?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

• Sad 2
5 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Laura Ingraham compares Greta Thunberg and youth climate activists

to Stephen King's "Children of the Corn"

She did this with the student from the Parkland shooting and ended up losing a lot of sponsors. It looks just like a fool never learns.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, hamradio said:

If big pants "knows how the climate works Greta" want to ACT like an adult maybe she can take any remarks like one:angry:

Ok now you are defending the Bully-in-Chief attacking a minor.  The one who cannot take any remarks he doesn’t like is your thin-skinned Effing Moron of a “leader”, Dotard Trump.  HE becomes a big baby and responds in childish ways .  He and his apologists are pathetic if they think that this is what the most powerful man in the world should do is appropriate.

• Thanks 1

Vanity Fair not happy with Trump....

"In spite of the fact that he would attack a toddler if he felt threatened, in spite of the fact that he has attacked a grieving war widow, in spite of the fact that his face alone should be the basis for a Mount Rushmore of Assholes, perhaps you still held on to one infinitesimal shred of hope. Maybe, in spite of all evidence to the contrary, you still believed that Donald Trump wouldn’t sink so low as to mock a 16-year-old shortly after she gave an impassioned, pleading speech calling out world leaders for not even doing the bare minimum to address climate change, dooming her generation to a world of extreme weather, dire living conditions, and unpredictable disaster. But of course, you would be entirely wrong, and have learned a valuable lesson about where Trump ranks on the pond-scum-to-raw-sewage scale:

Just to be clear, that’s the president of the United States ridiculing Swedish activist Greta Thunberg for having the audacity to tell people like him that “we are in the beginning of a mass extinction,” to shame them for having “stolen my dreams, my childhood, with your empty words,” and to ask, “How dare you pretend that this can be solved with just business as usual and some technical solutions?”

Thunberg, of course, is an affront to the president not only because she cares about the planet, but because she doesn’t act the way he thinks nice young girls should, i.e. smiling, being agreeable, and entering beauty pageants to be harassed by creepy real estate developers. In Trump’s mind, it’s a slippery slope between being a teen girl who devotes her life to pushing leaders to do something about the coming apocalypse and becoming a “nasty” woman!"

sw.png

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/09/greta-thunberg-donald-trump-twitter

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Arturo said:

Ok now you are defending the Bully-in-Chief attacking a minor.  The one who cannot take any remarks he doesn’t like is your thin-skinned Effing Moron of a “leader”, Dotard Trump.  HE becomes a big baby and responds in childish ways .  He and his apologists are pathetic if they think that this is what the most powerful man in the world should do is appropriate.

My post is not apologizing for Trump, it's aimed at Greta in that not everyone accepts this nonsense. Goodness any activist should EXPECT to be criticized or ignored. Does Greta  hold a Ph degree in climatology?

That snot nose know it all teen better not get in MY or any other West Virginian face with that global warming HS, will make Trump look lame.  Figures, like equal rights, can't take the drawbacks / disadvantages.

Greta should experience what to expect as an adult!

Aw did Trump hurt her itty bitty feelings for being IGNORED?

ch.jpg

Here this one's on me, grape flavored.

1c44bcf97c28a56df5cdd9922e357fa5.jpg

By the way, I have a RIGHT to be ANGRY!!! :angry:  Don't like it, TOUGH!!

190106222730-weir-coal-mitchell-plant-ex

Blackjewel+Mines+Closed.jpg

Edited by hamradio
2 hours ago, hamradio said:

My post is not apologizing for Trump, it's aimed at the teen in that not everyone accepts this nonsense. She should EXPECT to be criticized or ignored.

That snot nose know it all teen better not get in MY or any other West Virginian face with that global warming HS, will make Trump look lame.  Figures, like equal rights, can't take the drawbacks / disadvantages.

Teen should experience what to expect as an adult!

ch.jpg

Blame Donald Trump promising ‘clean’ coal coming back.  HE is to whom you should direct your anger.  Whatever you think about climate change, it is here and it is accelerating.  So those who continue to push for the use of fossil fuels will have the anger of future generations (if there are any) for refusing to do anything to try to mitigate the damage, and refusing to even believe the science.

Did you not post here a couple of days ago that you have no adjustments, large or small l,  you need to make in the face of climate change?!  Well you are going to realize soon enough that coal will be going the way of dinosaurs soon enough, like it or not.

PS-Donald Trump said sarcastic remarks about her.  Unpresidential unfit jerk that he is.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Blame Donald Trump promising ‘clean’ coal coming back.  HE is to whom you should direct your anger.  Whatever you think about climate change, it is here and it is accelerating.  So those who continue to push for the use of fossil fuels will have the anger of future generations (if there are any) for refusing to do anything to try to mitigate the damage, and refusing to even believe the science.

Did you not post here a couple of days ago that you have no adjustments, large or small l,  you need to make in the face of climate change?!  Well you are going to realize soon enough that coal will be going the way of dinosaurs soon enough, like it or not.

PS-Donald Trump said sarcastic remarks about her.  Unpresidential unfit jerk that he is.

I took that carbon footprint (another crock) "test" just to humor myself and it turns out you can't blame me contributing to the extinction of mankind from my lifestyle.  Whew, now I can sleep better knowing it's not large as Bigfoot's. :lol:

Wondering, if Bigfoot took a carbon footprint test, will it be small and black? :P

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

My post is not apologizing for Trump, it's aimed at Greta in that not everyone accepts this nonsense. Goodness any activist should EXPECT to be criticized or ignored. Does Greta  hold a Ph degree in climatology?

ch.jpg

The president of the United States harassing a 16 year old International activist, who more than likely, will get a Nobel Peace Prize.

A grown man, jealous of a teenager-- that's narcissistic jealousy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goodness any activist should EXPECT to be criticized or ignored. Does Greta  hold a Ph degree in climatology?

we are not supposed to question or disagree. we're all ignorant rural GOP hillbillies

little Greta is so wise just like that singer a few years ago, Fiona apple.

:lol:

the left has always treated pop singers and rockers like their bleeping geniuses so why should little Greta their latest pet celeb be any different?

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

Goodness any activist should EXPECT to be criticized or ignored. Does Greta  hold a Ph degree in climatology?

we are not supposed to question or disagree. we're all ignorant rural GOP hillbillies

little Greta is so wise just like that singer a few years ago, Fiona apple.

:lol:

the left has always treated pop singers and rockers like their bleeping geniuses so why should little Greta their latest pet celeb be any different?

The left / progressives are using teens to push their agenda, then expect their age won't allow for criticism.  Guess what - WON"T WORK!

For those whom can't take it, well as the old expression goes..If can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

A Nobel Peace Prize?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She is not a tool of the Left.  On her own, at the age of 12, she realized the unsustainability of our way of life and the peril for the future of the planet.  She has raised the consciousness of the world, and was able to get Millions of kids to march a few days ago.  She spoke truth to power at the United Nations, consequences be damned.  I’m sure she doesn’t care what anyone thinks or says about her, least of all the science-denying AAA-Hole from the country who refuses to do anything.  She will continue to raise the planet’s awareness, as long as the “adults” don’t do anything but allow their donors to continue to donate as they continue to rape the planet.

And the Orange Fool will be LIVID if she wins the Nobel Prize; he can barely contain his jealousy that Obama won it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The left / progressives are using teens to push their agenda, then expect their age won't allow for criticism.  Guess what - WON"T WORK!

The left is using kids like her as propaganda tools hoping her coached "testimony" crying face and tears (boo hoo) will pull ppl's heartstrings and emotions in an attempt to pull ppl to their side (ie;belief in global warming) just like they used that dum-b-a-ss boy to push gun control propaganda after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shootings.

Using extremely emotional children to sell an idea can be a very effective propaganda tool cuz most ppl are suckers for seeing crying emotional children and will want to help and support the kid and will almost always cause adults to feel sorry for the kid and because they do feel sorry for the kid they'll be very likely to be sympathetic towards the cause the kid (propagandists) is promoting...at least that's the reaction the adult propagandists are hoping for. IMO using children as propagandists is another form of child abuse.

8 minutes ago, JR33928 said:

The left is using kids like her as propaganda tools hoping her coached "testimony" crying face and tears (boo hoo) will pull ppl's heartstrings and emotions in an attempt to pull ppl to their side (ie;belief in global warming) just like they used that dum-b-a-ss boy to push gun control propaganda after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shootings.

Using extremely emotional children to sell an idea can be a very effective propaganda tool cuz most ppl are suckers for seeing crying emotional children and will want to help and support the kid and will almost always cause adults to feel sorry for the kid and because they do feel sorry for the kid they'll be very likely to be sympathetic towards the cause the kid (propagandists) is promoting...at least that's the reaction the adult propagandists are hoping for. IMO using children as propagandists is another form of child abuse.

How about adult “children” spouting propaganda to gullible people, crying the blues?  No better example than that intellectually-deficient man-child Donald Trump.  He has suckered a third of the nation to his ongoing martyr complex, for his personal benefit.  He is pathetic!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

From Wikipedia: Trump derangement syndrome (TDS) is a derogatory term for criticism of, or negative reactions to United States President Donald Trump that are alleged to be irrational and have little regard towards Trump's actual positions or actions taken.[2] The term has been used by Trump supporters to discredit criticism of his actions, as a way of "reframing" the discussion by suggesting his opponents are incapable of accurately perceiving the world.

In other words, TDS is the syndrome suffered by those who criticize Trump for everything he does.  It is not a syndrome from which Trump or his supporters suffer.

I remember when I was 16 and very interested in politics and government.  I was an avid Republican and worked on the local Goldwater campaign.  Four years later I was a left of center Democrat and actually supported Gene McCarthy for president.

• Thanks 1