Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndyM108

Did any leading actors or actresses in Hollywood's Golden Age NOT smoke in their movies?

Despite the fact that Mickey Rooney was told numerous times that smoking would stunt his growth, he'd be a two-pack-a-day guy!

(...just goes to show ya that sometimes those old sayings hold true, don't it!)

;)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Despite the fact that Mickey Rooney was told numerous times that smoking would stunt his growth, he'd be a two-pack-a-day guy!

(...just goes to show ya that sometimes those old sayings hold true, don't it!)

;)

He somehow kept landing the hot girls though... 

Errol Flynn was also Mickey Rooney's wingman on occasion.  If I were Mickey Rooney (god forbid, blech), Errol Flynn would be a TERRIBLE wingman. 

• Haha 2

Yes, Debbie was a smoker, and Fred was a smoker in films and in real life. I agree about Gene, I was also so surprised that both Gene and Fred smoked. Donald O' Connor in an interview I read said that during the filming of Singin In The Rain, he ( Donald) smoked 4 packs a day!!!!

• Thanks 1

Just now, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes, Debbie was a smoker, and Fred was a smoker in films and in real life. I agree about Gene, I was also so surprised that both Gene and Fred smoked. Donald O' Connor in an interview I read said that during the filming of Singin In The Rain, he ( Donald) smoked 4 packs a day!!!!

Yes.  Apparently Donald O'Connor's performance of "Make 'Em Laugh" completely wiped him out, to the point where he had to spend something like 3-4 days recovering.  Then due to some mistake while filming, he had to do it again!

15 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

And thus the very reason it would be the FIFTH take of "Make 'Em Laugh" that you see in that flick!

During the first four of 'em Donald began a coughing jag at about the time he got to where he grabs that pillowed mannequin and simulates making love to it on that couch!

(...didn't know that, did ya!)  ;)

• Like 1

While smoking in classic films was quite common (as it was in the general public) I'm still surprised when I sometimes the character smoking in bed (alone.)  Davis and Celeste Holm do it in All About Eve and Stanwyck in Sorry, Wrong Number.  Even back then, that just seems too dangerously wrong.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

As someone who is not a smoker, and despises smoking, I cannot imagine smoking 80 cigarettes a day! Assuming he maybe slept 8 hours a day... That leaves him with 16 hours to get his smoking in.  That's like 5 cigarettes an hour--or what 1 cigarette every 12 or so minutes? That's insane.

Just now, RoyCronin said:

While smoking in classic films was quite common (as it was in the general public) I'm still surprised when I sometimes the character smoking in bed (alone.)  Davis and Celeste Holm do it in All About Eve and Stanwyck in Sorry, Wrong Number.  Even back then, that just seems too dangerously wrong.

Isn't smoking in bed how David Cassidy's dad died?

• Like 1

The fact that she quit this awful habit 50 or so years ago is probably a good part of the reason why we were lucky enough to have Doris Day with us until she was 97.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Isn't smoking in bed how David Cassidy's dad died?

Yep, Jack Cassidy died in that manner, and so did Linda Darnell in a very similar manner.

(...in Linda's case though, the house fire was started by a cigarette which ignited a sofa)

• Sad 1

Just now, Dargo said:

Yep, Jack Cassidy died in that manner, and so did Linda Darnell in a very similar manner.

(...in Linda's case though, the house fire was started by a cigarette which ignited a sofa)

Same with Jack Cassidy. I've read that he was smoking a cigarette and feel asleep while lying on his couch 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Didn't Linda initially survive the house fire, albeit with burns on 80% of her body or something like that, and ultimately succumbed a few days later?

To quote Arturo, avid Linda Darnell fan, Linda Darnell for SOTM!

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Same with Jack Cassidy. I've read that he was smoking a cigarette and feel asleep while lying on his couch 

I think I read that he was only identified by his signet ring?

10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Didn't Linda initially survive the house fire, albeit with burns on 80% of her body or something like that, and ultimately succumbed a few days later?

To quote Arturo, avid Linda Darnell fan, Linda Darnell for SOTM!

Yes, I believe she did survive for a short while in a hospital bed, but I'm not sure what length of time that was.

(...but yeah, I'll bet Arturo might know...I do know and remember my mother who was also a big Linda Darnell fan was very sad about hearing this news back in '65...she'd often say she thought Darnell was THE most beautiful Hollywood star she ever saw)

• Like 1

Horribly sad about both Linda Darnell and Jack Cassidy.

Absolutely, Linda Darnell as SOTM. What a beauty she was. And the icing on the cake is that we get to also see Tyrone, since they made 4 films together.

• Like 4

Btw, anyone else here noticing the irony of this thread in the General Discussion list page is now being flagged as "Hot!"?

(...or am I the only one sick enough around here to find the irony in this???)

• Haha 3

Here's an actor whose movies I've never watched:  Elvis Presley.  Did he smoke in his movies?

38 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Horribly sad about both Linda Darnell and Jack Cassidy.

Absolutely, Linda Darnell as SOTM. What a beauty she was. And the icing on the cake is that we get to also see Tyrone, since they made 4 films together.

Yes! I would like to see more Tyrone.  I've only seen a handful of his films: Nightmare Alley, The Mask of Zorro, The Sun Also Rises, The Black Swan, and Alexander's Ragtime Band, I think. 

I thought Linda was great in Fallen Angel and A Letter to Three Wives

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyM108 said:

Here's an actor whose movies I've never watched:  Elvis Presley.  Did he smoke in his movies?

After google image searching this, the following still from him 1968 film Charro! is the only one I could find, and other than a few that come up which show him smoking in some sort of candid off-scene shot...

elviscool.jpg

Btw, here's another one of him TAKING UP the habit in an apparent candid off-scene shot of him while making a movie that included Mary Tyler Moore WEARING a habit... ;)

7b873d505f42ed0e324ba43cfbd702c7--cigare

15 minutes ago, AndyM108 said:

I've only seen three Elvis movies so far: Viva Las Vegas (my favorite), Kissin' Cousins, and Jailhouse Rock.  I cannot recall seeing Elvis smoking in any of them.  As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I can recall any character smoking in these films! 

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

After google image searching this, the following still from him 1968 film Charro! is the only one I could find, and other than a few that come up which show him smoking in some sort of candid off-scene shot...

elviscool.jpg

Btw, here's another one of him TAKING UP the habit in an apparent candid off-scene shot of him while making a movie that included Mary Tyler Moore WEARING a habit... ;)

Elvis appears to be smoking a thin cigar in the first pic. 

20 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Btw, anyone else here noticing the irony of this thread in the General Discussion list page is now being flagged as "Hot!"?

(...or am I the only one sick enough around here to find the irony in this???)

It's because I'm here.  I think the amazing Blue Denim thread is also "Hot." Right now, we're in two different discussions about soap operas and parrots.

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Elvis appears to be smoking a thin cigar in the first pic. 

Yeah maybe, but just from the look that Elvis has on his face here, it ALSO looks like Mary might be contemplating striking up her own rendition of "Don't Bogart That Joint, My Friend" here TOO!

(...wouldn't ya say?!) 

• Haha 1

I thought the cause of the Linda Darnell fire was never determined? Yes, she survived for a few days after.