Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndyM108

Did any leading actors or actresses in Hollywood's Golden Age NOT smoke in their movies?

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

7b873d505f42ed0e324ba43cfbd702c7--cigare

Yeah maybe, but just from the look that Elvis has on his face here, it ALSO looks like Mary might be contemplating striking up her own rendition of "Don't Bogart That Joint, My Friend" here TOO!

(...wouldn't ya say?!) 

I know that's probably a pen in Mary's hand, but I like to think that it's a cigarette holder (or maybe a roach clip) and she's waiting for Elvis to finish his turn. 

MTM was also a smoker during the Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore show days.  I do not know if she was into anything heavier than tobacco however.  It was the 60s... so who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I thought the cause of the Linda Darnell fire was never determined? Yes, she survived for a few days after.

The following is an excerpt from her Wiki bio page, Hibi:

A coroner's inquest into her death ruled that Darnell's death was accidental and that the fire had begun in or near the living room sofa and was caused by careless smoking; both adult women were smokers.

(...and I assumed the "both adult women were smokers" line was in reference to her former secretary and her adult daughter whose Illinois home Darnell was visiting at the time)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

As someone who doesn't smoke, has never smoked a day in my life, and thinks that cigarettes are abhorrent in every manner...

I think that the smoking looks really hot in the context of the old black and white movies.  Yes, you'd probably instantly develop emphysema walking into the middle of a party in classic film, and I know I'd be sick after 1 highball of straight booze, but damn if it doesn't look cool.

In real life, if I lived in that classic Hollywood world with all the smoking, I'd be either avoiding everyone or holding  a mask over my face and/or deeply regretting my attendance at the party.  If Errol were there however... I'd feel conflicted.  Maybe if he just points his cigarette and smoke downwind from me.  

So you live vicariously through movies.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OMG, DORIS!!!!!

1200123905_216b5e8034_b.jpg

It certainly did shorten her life ! :lol:

We have to remember that up until the 60's, the tobacco companies refused to admit smoking caused any health problems at all. So there was no concrete reason to not smoke in those days.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

In real life, if I lived in that classic Hollywood world with all the smoking, I'd be either avoiding everyone or holding  a mask over my face and/or deeply regretting my attendance at the party.  If Errol were there however... I'd feel conflicted.  Maybe if he just points his cigarette and smoke downwind from me.  

Those parties were for many, the only reason for living. A person always wanted to be invited to "the" party where all the big stars were coming. It would be hard to stay home doing needlework when there is such a fun time to be had. And you "could" be there.

I grew up in a house with two smoking parents. And I have never touched a cigarette of any kind. I can't stand it either. But, that's knowing what we know now. Back then, if you didn't partake, they might think you were some sort of undercover cop. And would never be invited again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use to smoke. Learned from the movies how to light a lady's cigarette. At about 30, which would be 1987, I gave up smoking "anything." Only smoked when I drank. Maybe I got that from the movies too. If drinking and smoking were banned by TCM, there would be very little to watch.

Funny, cigs are about $7 per pack of 20. Do the math for Bette Davis.

($35/day)

28 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I thought perhaps Greer Garson, but then I think she smokes in The Miniver Story, any others?

i'd venture to say RANDOM HARVEST, but maybe not.

she does show leg though!

48 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I use to smoke. Learned from the movies how to light a lady's cigarette. At about 30, which would be 1987, I gave up smoking "anything." Only smoked when I drank. Maybe I got that from the movies too. If drinking and smoking were banned by TCM, there would be very little to watch.

Funny, cigs are about $7 per pack of 20. Do the math for Bette Davis.

($35/day)

Have no idea where you live, but in the northeast cigs are 11.35 a pack, and they cost more than that in NY.

In the 1950's cigs were 25 cents a pack - that's 2.66 in today's dollars

• Like 1

OMG! Et tu, Teresa??? CAMELS MILD?????????

Did Dorothy McGuire smoke?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

JUNE ALLYSON...?

Gosh, the way her voice sounded, I would've thought she was a two-pack-a-day little lady by the age of 12 ?!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

OMG! Et tu, Teresa??? CAMELS MILD?????????

Did Dorothy McGuire smoke?

I think so, she smoked in the tv mini series Rich Man Poor Man

6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Surprised to see even Teresa Wright got into the ads!

lets_smoke_girls_5.thumb.jpg.88f82aed52eacb4292d180585b192f1f.jpg

I give this about another 15 minutes or so until Lorna comments upon Teresa's "Mrs. Jolly Green Giant" dress there!

• Haha 1

I can't recall specifically,  but I'm sure Dorothy smokes in Gentleman's Agreement.   They go to clubs and restaurants. 

I smoked for decades. I quit 9 years and 2 months ago. I quit cold turkey, with no relapses. It got too expensive, and my health was deteriorating quickly. I still miss it, and I have dreams about smoking a few times a week.

I've heard the excuse that people didn't know that smoking was bad for them back then. That could only be believed by people who have never smoked. Anyone who has smoked knows that there's nothing healthy about it.

Smoking killed my father young, and caused the emphysema that eventually killed my grandmother. It also led to my grandfather's heart attack, and may have contributed to the cancer that eventually killed him. 

As for non-smokers...how about Lena Horne?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I smoked for decades. I quit 9 years and 2 months ago. I quit cold turkey, with no relapses. It got too expensive, and my health was deteriorating quickly. I still miss it, and I have dreams about smoking a few times a week.

Dang! Congratulations!

I don't think I have the willpower.

Yes, I mentioned Shirley on page 1 in my post. LOL not as a child she definitely didn't, but I wrote I don't remember seeing her smoke in her adult roles

3 minutes ago, Marysara1 said:

I don't remember Shirley Temple smoking.

I swear, In my memory, i have a recollection of a film where she holds a cigarette for her father...?

[also, to be fair, i want to say depiction of tobacco smoking by minors was prohibited by the HAYES CODE, so we should probably not count SHIRLEY or any of the little rascals or other child stars in this, just on technical, legal terms....]

I believe FRED MJAC MURRAY died from the complications of throat cancer due to his  chain smoking habit. Throat cancer is one of the worst cancers due to the fact that the voice box gets removed  as the cancer progresses.

12 minutes ago, AndyM108 said:

LUCY'S A TWO-TIMER!

image.png.e4a8855e23db4f89d6b19bd9213386b1.png
image.png.dfea871548f165a9345b4a7e983b8ab1.png

LOL. I think Philip Morris sponsored I Love Lucy. Maybe that's when she made the switch! :D Speedy would know for sure.