Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndyM108

Did any leading actors or actresses in Hollywood's Golden Age NOT smoke in their movies?

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Dang! Congratulations!

I don't think I have the willpower.

YOU SMOKE? :(

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"YOUR THROAT CAN TELL IT'S PHILLIP MORRIS"?????!!!!!!!

HELL, YES! I love these ads......

• Haha 1

Wait! When she was a little older, doesn't Shirley smoke a corncob pipe in Fort Apache ???

(...or maybe not) ;)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- all you gotta do is watch MAME (1974) to tell LUCY had been a lifelong smoker.

THAT VOICE! (or should I say croak!)

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"YOUR THROAT CAN TELL IT'S PHILLIP MORRIS"?????!!!!!!!

Yes, and MY throat can tell it's THESE...

swisher_sweets_little_cigars_by_apollo01

(...yep, that's right folks...just like Lorna here, I still partake of the habit also, and to the consternation of my wife, and to the disbelief of the people I play tennis with...we're SUCH "pariahs" now days, ya know)

34 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Have no idea where you live, but in the northeast cigs are 11.35 a pack, and they cost more than that in NY.

In the 1950's cigs were 25 cents a pack - that's 2.66 in today's dollars

California. We passed a $2 per pack tax a few years ago. Wow! For $12.95, I get my big bottle of Black Velvet Canadian Whisky. I do remember buying smokes for about 50¢ a pack in the mid-70s. One pack/week.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hibi said:

THAT VOICE! (or should I say croak!)

So this is weird. Just as I'm reading the posts about Lucy, I'm also watching the film She Went To The Races on TCM and on the loudspeaker at the racetrack in the film the guy announces number 9 is Mr. McGillicuddy ( Lucy's maiden name on I Love Lucy) this was at the exact moment I was reading the Lucy posts! LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

So you live vicariously through movies.

I live vicariously through everything.

In one life, I am sailing around the world with Errol Flynn.  In another, I am kicking it around Beverly Hills with Luke Perry during his Dylan McKay days. 

Anything to get me through the day whilst I write processes on completing a systemic packing procedure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Have no idea where you live, but in the northeast cigs are 11.35 a pack, and they cost more than that in NY.

I've never purchased a pack of cigarettes in my life, but in Oregon, I believe that they're retailing for between $7-$10 a pack, depending on the brand.  American Spirit seems to be the most expensive for whatever reason? It seems that Pall Mall is your bargain basement cigarette?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- all you gotta do is watch MAME (1974) to tell LUCY had been a lifelong smoker.

Even in I Love Lucy she was affecting her voice to make it higher pitched.  When she's in interviews and such during that time, or even later in The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, her voice is deeper than it had been even in her 1940s films.  By The Lucy Show, she must not have been able to keep up the charade. 

But yes, she definitely got the smoker's rasp (which seems to affect women more than men). The Simpsons used it to great affect when Lucy's ghost visits Lisa.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I think Philip Morris sponsored I Love Lucy. Maybe that's when she made the switch! :D Speedy would know for sure.

Geez, I actually stop discussing smoking habits of the stars, my bird, and soap operas for awhile to do some actual work, and I pop on here to see what's going on while I go over a procedure in my head, and this thread blew up!

Lucille Ball actually smoked Chesterfields, but then Phillip Morris began sponsoring I Love Lucy.  Lucy used to empty out the Phillip Morris cigarettes and put Chesterfields inside the carton so that she wasn't seen smoking the competitor's cigarettes (because apparently different brands are better or worse than others? All the same to me). So Lucy never switched to smoking Phillip Morris.  She just pretended. 

I don't know if Desi maintained the same charade or not.  I know that he mostly stuck to Havana cigars which were said to have greatly contributed (among other things I'm sure) to his fatal bout with lung cancer.

Did cigarettes always have filtered and non-filtered? Or were filters an "innovation" at some point? Are the filters meant to make smoking somehow less bad? Or are they used to filter out the crap from the other crap and improve the "flavor" ?

I will admit that I have smoked a couple cigars, those cigarillo (skinny cigars) things that have flavors, and clove cigarettes in the past... but I've done so so sporadically that it would never be a habit.  I've never purchased any of these items myself.  All at my friends' house, paired with a stiff drink while we watch movies outside.

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

American Spirit seems to be the most expensive for whatever reason? It seems that Pall Mall is your bargain basement cigarette?

Really it's the other way around here. A,American Spirits are the cheepies

13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Did cigarettes always have filtered and non-filtered? Or were filters an "innovation" at some point? Are the filters meant to make smoking somehow less bad? Or are they used to filter out the crap from the other crap and improve the "flavor" ?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the first filtered cigarettes were either Viceroys or Salems, both of which date from the mid-1950's.  After that the other brands quickly followed suit, with the most deadly of them being Kent's "Micronite" filter, with traces of asbestos.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Really it's the other way around here. A,American Spirits are the cheepies

Aren’t American Spirits the organic cigarette or something like that? That seems about right that they’d have a high demand among Portland smokers—that and weed. 

Okay, after doing a little internet investigation regarding this whole Shirley Temple thing here, I've found that not ONLY did Shirley never smoke NOR drink, and either in a movie OR in real life, but there's never been any recorded instance of her ever dancing the H**chie-Coo EITHER in the movies or real life.

Nope, not with either Bill "Bojangles" Robinson OR Arthur Treacher. And nope, not even with John Agar OR Mr. Black either...EVER!

(...although she WOULD come close to it that one time she danced with George Murphy in that one flick, however it has been decided by those well-versed in such matters that it was really more the Merengue than it was the H**chie-Coo...see what a nice young lady she was?)

And now for your listening pleasure:

Here's another advert that I hope someone can help me track down, because so far I've had no success.  It may be my favorite TV ad of all time, dating from circa 1955.

It's for White Owl cigars, and it shows a typical button-downed preppie type sitting across a checkerclothed restaurant table from Fernandel, the then-famous horsefaced French comic actor, star of The Sheep Has Five Legs and other sublime comedies.  I'll re-create the dialogue as best I can, or I should say monologue, since Fernandel does all the talking.

Fernandel, with a big toothy grin:  Ah, monsieur, a woman, she is but a woman, but a goot cigar is a smoke....(takes a puff)

Fernandel (continuing):  And the best of the cigars ees the White OWL.....(takes a big, satisfying puff)..
Ah, yes (blows smoke towards his dinner companion for emphasis).....A woman ees but a woman (takes another big puff).....but a goot CIGAR, HO, HO.....

(Smokus interruptus!  A shapely pair of Charissean legs goes promenading by the table.  Our hero jumps up, throws his cigar on the floor, steps on said cigar, and takes off in the general direction of the gams with a hasty "Pardon..." to his companion.

To this day this may be the only commercial I've ever seen where the product is willfully destroyed in the name of a higher pursuit, and  I'm still laughing 64 years later whenever I think of it.  Anyone else remember it, or have any idea where to track it down?  I've seen one other Fernandel commercial for White Owl online, but never this one.

In his little Summer Under The Stars bio on this website, I think it was mentioned that Brian Donlevy never smoked on film.  I don't know if that meant he was a smoker off-screen, because the article didn't elaborate.  I also read years ago, that John Wayne was about 3 pack a day guy, although on the set, it was said most cigarettes an actor or actress lit up were really never smoked, and just burned out on their own in the ashtray if they had to shoot a re-take and cigarettes weren't required for their movie role.

I started smoking as a teenager (because I wanted to be cool!).  After 44 years, I decided I was cool enough, and I quit cold turkey on May 3 of this year.  It's the third time I've quit (stopped for 9 months in 1986 and 6 months in 1995).  Like Lawrence A, my motivation was pure economics.  Here in Illinois, the cigarette taxes have steadily risen over the years.  The cheapo brand I used to buy costs about $7.50 a pack now.  When I quit, the cost was about 6.70.  I still fancy having one every now and then, but those feelings are fleeting, and I know if I had just one, I'd want to have another, so I'm doing well.  Unfortunately, the money I've saved on tobacco has been transferred to the grocery store!  I feel like I'm bigger than a houseboat now...and with winter coming on, well, things could really get ugly in my wardrobe department, come Spring of '20!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Not tobacco.

OH, well than THAT'S okay!

Seems people who smoke the "wacky weed" now days aren't considered NEARLY as much a "pariah" as we still smoke that bad ol' tobacco, ya know!

(...I assume that that's the stuff you meant here, didn't ya?!) ;) 

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

And all that extra money in excise taxes is part of why the states are going so nuts against vaping.