Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndyM108

Did any leading actors or actresses in Hollywood's Golden Age NOT smoke in their movies?

Since somebody mentioned Mormon Laraine Day early in the thread, Rhonda Fleming was born Mormon too although it sounds like she converted to some other form of Christianity.  I have a feeling she smoked in Inferno, but I don't recall paying too much attention to her in her movies.

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay, after doing a little internet investigation regarding this whole Shirley Temple thing here, I've found that not ONLY did Shirley never smoke NOR drink, and either in a movie OR in real life, but there's never been any recorded instance of her ever dancing the H**chie-Coo EITHER in the movies or real life.

Shirley did smoke in real life. She tried to hide her habit because she didn't want to set a bad example. She actually died of Emphysema.

45 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Aren’t American Spirits the organic cigarette or something like that? That seems about right that they’d have a high demand among Portland smokers—that and weed. 

Do they have an American Indian in a full eagle headdress on the pack?

Renee Falconetti didn't smoke in the movies.  She burned, but she didn't smoke.

• Haha 4

Btw Lorna, this now reminds me of an old song they feature in this one movie musical starring, who else, those two musical virtuosos, Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood...

🎵 A way out west they've got a name

For rain and wind and who fire (up a cigarette)

The rain is Tess, the wind is Jo

And they call those who fire up a smoke, Pariah

Pariah, Pariah

They now call smokers, Pariah 🎵

(...well, it went somethin' like that anyway, right?!)

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

In the 1950's cigs were 25 cents a pack - that's 2.66 in today's dollars

Hell, in Durham, NC in the mid-1960's, a carton of brand name cigarettes was but $1.80.  I only smoked intermittently for a few months, so I didn't keep up with the price after that.

I stopped smoking quite suddenly on one hot evening in college, when I was in a closed meeting room with no A/C and everyone also puffing away.  And then God sent me a message, or something like that, because I felt sick as a dog, ran down the stairs, ran across the street to Walgreen's, bought a roll of Rolaids, chewed the whole roll in one sitting, somehow didn't lose it, and after that I've never taken another puff.  I was up to about half a pack a day before that little epiphany.

21 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Shirley did smoke in real life. She tried to hide her habit because she didn't want to set a bad example. She actually died of Emphysema.

Okay, but she STILL never danced the H**chie-Coo, RIGHT?!

Boy, I tell ya, ya JUST can't trust the internet anymore to find out the real poop about stuff, CAN ya!

(...okay, and now let's see if this freakin' auto-censor is gonna make me place those asterisks in the word "poop" like it's makin' me do with the word "H**chie-Coo!!!)

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Renee Falconetti didn't smoke in the movies.  She burned, but she didn't smoke.

Reminds me of an old coworker of mine named Joan.

She'd ever so often show up to work with a burnt finger or two. When I finally asked her about it, she said she'd occasionally burn her fingers while cooking something on the stove.

(...she at least laughed the first time I started calling her "Joan of Klutz", anyway)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Do they have an American Indian in a full eagle headdress on the pack?

Yes they do. 

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes they do. 

Yea they are selling them at the rock bottom price - the old traditional brands are the more expensive ones. An even cheaper way to go is  a lot of smokers around here buy loose tobacco in a plastic bag and have a small cigarette machine and roll their own.

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

OH, well than THAT'S okay!

Seems people who smoke the "wacky weed" now days aren't considered NEARLY as much a "pariah" as we still smoke that bad ol' tobacco, ya know!

(...I assume that that's the stuff you meant here, didn't ya?!) ;) 

Nah, Crystal Meth.

JOKE! JOKE! 

Yeah, I’m referring to La ganja. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Geez, I actually stop discussing smoking habits of the stars, my bird, and soap operas for awhile to do some actual work, and I pop on here to see what's going on while I go over a procedure in my head, and this thread blew up!

Lucille Ball actually smoked Chesterfields, but then Phillip Morris began sponsoring I Love Lucy.  Lucy used to empty out the Phillip Morris cigarettes and put Chesterfields inside the carton so that she wasn't seen smoking the competitor's cigarettes (because apparently different brands are better or worse than others? All the same to me). So Lucy never switched to smoking Phillip Morris.  She just pretended. 

I don't know if Desi maintained the same charade or not.  I know that he mostly stuck to Havana cigars which were said to have greatly contributed (among other things I'm sure) to his fatal bout with lung cancer.

FUNNY!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyM108 said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the first filtered cigarettes were either Viceroys or Salems, both of which date from the mid-1950's.  After that the other brands quickly followed suit, with the most deadly of them being Kent's "Micronite" filter, with traces of asbestos.

OMG!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Not tobacco.

LOL. Ok then! :D

17 hours ago, arpirose said:

I believe FRED MJAC MURRAY died from the complications of throat cancer due to his  chain smoking habit. Throat cancer is one of the worst cancers due to the fact that the voice box gets removed  as the cancer progresses.

AWFUL. I didn't know that.

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"YOUR THROAT CAN TELL IT'S PHILLIP MORRIS"?????!!!!!!!

Yes, the throat is smart.......

6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea they are selling them at the rock bottom price - the old traditional brands are the more expensive ones. An even cheaper way to go is  a lot of smokers around here buy loose tobacco in a plastic bag and have a small cigarette machine and roll their own.

They aren't rock bottom in Portland. For whatever reason, American Spirit is the most expensive brand.  

I don't care though. They could sell for $100/pack as far as I'm concerned. 

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Nah, Crystal Meth.

JOKE! JOKE! 

Yeah, I’m referring to La ganja. 

Lol.  La ganja is EVERYWHERE in Oregon.  You cannot throw a rock without hitting a cannabis shop.  In fact, Oregon has so much weed that we have to export it to other states that legalized it but cannot keep up with the demand.

I do not partake. 1) Because I don't want to. But 2) My job has random drug testing (which they really only do if you look visibly high/drunk or get in an accident) but I'm not jeopardizing my job for stupid weed. 

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Also we shouldn't count LASSIE either.

She was strictly a SKOHL dipper.

Chewing tobacco is disgusting too. Especially when it's all stuck around their teeth.

18 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

So this is weird. Just as I'm reading the posts about Lucy, I'm also watching the film She Went To The Races on TCM and on the loudspeaker at the racetrack in the film the guy announces number 9 is Mr. McGillicuddy ( Lucy's maiden name on I Love Lucy) this was at the exact moment I was reading the Lucy posts! LOL

Lol that's funny.  There's a bar in SE Portland (I don't go there though because it looks sketchy) called McGillicuddy's. I like to think that the owner is a major I Love Lucy fan. 

Then there are the smokers who switched to vaping... I'm not sure if they switched as a means to wean themselves off of smoking or so that they could take more nicotine hits? I have no idea.  The sickly sweet fruity smelling ones are disgusting though. I start instantly getting a headache if I smell the tutti frutti vape crap around me. It reminds me of walking past Bath and Body Works in the mall.  I cannot go into that store it makes me feel sick to my stomach.  With the fruit vape stuff it makes me wonder if I'd rather smell cigarette smoke or that stuff.

In Oregon, now there's a big anti-vape campaign because people are starting to die from whatever illnesses are caused by the vaping chemicals. 

Does anyone remember the anti-smoking commercials of the 90s/early 00s ?

The one that really stuck out for me was the lady who got her voicebox removed due to smoking and she was still smoking through the hole in her neck.

In my 5th grade health book (this was 1994, so the book was probably from the 80s), there was a layout of two real lungs. On the left side of the page, was a healthy, pink lung of a non-smoker. On the right side of the page, was a picture of a smoker's lung. It was black, charred, and disgusting. As a 10-year old, I was so turned off by it that I never wanted to smoke, not once. I don't even like to be around people smoking. If I can, I will flat out walk away. 

The anti-smoking campaign, (which I'm thinking maybe started in the 70s?) led to a lot of episodes about kids being peer pressured into smoking, or flat out taking up smoking and being shunned by their friends and family.

-The Brady Bunch: Jan and Cindy spot Greg smoking with this friends and rat him out to Marcia who consequently tattles on him to Mike and Carol.

-Full House: There's an episode where Stephanie's new friend, bad girl Gina, gets Stephanie to try smoking in the bathroom.

-90210: Brenda picks up smoking while in Paris, much to the chagrin of her parents and friends. Boyfriend Dylan especially is disgusted (despite being in AA as a high schooler and later taking up heroin, smoking is where he draws the line). A pack of cigarettes falls out of her purse and she tries to say she's not a smoker, which leads to one of my favorite lines... DYLAN: Brenda, non-smokers don't usually carry around cigarettes. 

-Happy Days: I think Joanie takes up smoking in an episode when she starts hanging out with a girl gang. It takes the Fonz to tell her that "smoking isn't cool" for her to clean up her act.

Those are the examples I can think of right now.

AjHf.gif

tumblr_oppet0BUBF1qdm4tlo1_400.gif

source.gif

When beautiful or "cool" people did it in so many films smoking looked so chic and sophisticated.

A lot of film viewers eventually died because of screen images like this.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, speedracer5 said:

Along the lines of someone with a Doris Day like image, Mary Tyler Moore was also a smoker and drinker in real life too.  She smoked during the run of Mary Tyler Moore, but did not want Mary Richards to smoke, because she felt a sense of shame about her habit.  In the 80s, MTM had to check herself into the Betty Ford clinic for alcoholism. 

My goodness, aren't we smokers  a bunch of addicts, nicotine fiends, quite a horrendous bunch? Cough. cough, inhale, cough. With a butt in my mouth I say, "Faster, faster, faster..." With a crazed gleam in my eye, I salute Reefer Madness with glee!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

My goodness, aren't we smokers  a bunch of addicts, nicotine fiends, quite a horrendous bunch? Cough. cough, inhale, cough. With a butt in my mouth I say, "Faster, faster, faster..." With a crazed gleam in my eye, I salute Reefer Madness with glee!

The gov just banned e cigarettes here in Massachusetts. The vape things seem to be killing kids. When they first came out, e cigs were thought to help people quit smoking and I gave them a try. All they did for me was to make me sick and cough my head off. It seems that a single e cig is equal to a whole pack of regular butts. I have my evil scruples and embrace them with horror some times. It is what it is. But. I still enjoy life such as it is.