Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndyM108

Did any leading actors or actresses in Hollywood's Golden Age NOT smoke in their movies?

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Does anyone remember the anti-smoking commercials of the 90s/early 00s ?...

Here's one I remember from the mid-'80s...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Here's one I remember from the mid-'80s...

Yes I remember seeing Yul doing that anti-smoking add. I don't have to watch the video to remember what he said. Very sad. One of my very best friends passed away, it'll be 2 years in January. He told me that of all the things he regretted in his life was smoking and he wished he could take back every cigarette he smoked.

• Like 1

NC1y6Gd.gif

It was common in my youth to carry two packs of cigarettes of different brands. The good ones were the ones which you smoked and the cheap ones were for those who bummed. I am completely convinced that I knew people who were two-pack-a-day smokers who never purchased a single cigarette in their life.

Vaping ranges from being much better than smoking cigarettes to being much worse. The difference is in the quality of the 'juice'. The good ones have the same base as many asthma inhalers and the flavors are all FDA-approved in both type and purity. The bad ones are industrial-quality carriers and they often rely on flavorings which are inexpensive because the batch was rejected from food and odorant streams due to impurities. The latter will often include materials which Glade would not use in air fresheners.

The main attractions of vaping are that one does not have to consume an entire cigarette when only one or two puffs are wanted and there are several thousands of chemicals in tobacco that are not present in good vaping juice. 

10 minutes ago, SansFin said:

NC1y6Gd.gif

It was common in my youth to carry two packs of cigarettes of different brands. The good ones were the ones which you smoked and the cheap ones were for those who bummed. I am completely convinced that I knew people who were two-pack-a-day smokers who never purchased a single cigarette in their life.

Vaping ranges from being much better than smoking cigarettes to being much worse. The difference is in the quality of the 'juice'. The good ones have the same base as many asthma inhalers and the flavors are all FDA-approved in both type and purity. The bad ones are industrial-quality carriers and they often rely on flavorings which are inexpensive because the batch was rejected from food and odorant streams due to impurities. The latter will often include materials which Glade would not use in air fresheners.

The main attractions of vaping are that one does not have to consume an entire cigarette when only one or two puffs are wanted and there are several thousands of chemicals in tobacco that are not present in good vaping juice. 

The fruity sweet smelling vaping smoke is just as bad as cigarette smoke in my opinion. That stuff gives me a major headache. There was someone vaping in front of me at a concert I went to a couple weeks ago.  It was not appreciated.  I was hoping security would confiscate it, but they never did. 

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

The fruity sweet smelling vaping smoke is just as bad as cigarette smoke in my opinion. That stuff gives me a major headache. There was someone vaping in front of me at a concert I went to a couple weeks ago.  It was not appreciated.  I was hoping security would confiscate it, but they never did. 

That was quite likely the cheap stuff which is quite bad for you. The good juices use flavorings which are not as aromatic. 

Just now, SansFin said:

That was quite likely the cheap stuff which is quite bad for you. The good juices use flavorings which are not as aromatic. 

Are you a Vaper? Or is it Vapist? Or perhaps Vapomancer?

1 minute ago, SansFin said:

Ah. Apparently people are starting to die from vaping. I haven't taken the time to actually read the articles to say what people are dying from. If the vape juices are full of chemicals, I would imagine that they're basically poisoning themselves. 

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Are you a Vaper? Or is it Vapist? Or perhaps Vapomancer?

I occasionally vape a cherry-menthol blend which I mix because I could not find a pre-made one from a reputable dealer with the balance of flavors which I prefer. 

A decent rule-of-thumb for accessing vape is the volume exhaled. The good ones used in a proper device are similar to breaths on a frosty day. Great clouds are produced only with improper devices and/or cheap mixtures. 

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Several years ago when cigars were fashionable I had the misfortune to be at a concert near someone who was smoking a vanilla-scented cigar. A good cigar doesn't smell bad, but the combination was terrible.

Speaking of Golden Age actors and cigars...

Yes, that cigar is lit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Several years ago when cigars were fashionable I had the misfortune to be at a concert near someone who was smoking a vanilla-scented cigar. A good cigar doesn't smell bad, but the combination was terrible.

Speaking of Golden Age actors and cigars...

Yes, that cigar is lit.

Gotta get them started early!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

If the vape juices are full of chemicals, I would imagine that they're basically poisoning themselves. 

Air is a mixture of chemicals. The scent of flowers are chemicals. All that you eat and drink are chemicals. 

Good vape juice is made of chemicals approved by the FDA for human consumption because they do little or no harm.  

To go back to the original inquiry of who is NOT smoking...

Not that it's movies per se...

But in I Love Lucy, while Ricky and Lucy smoke up a storm, the Mertzes don't.  Only in the first season is there even an inkling that Mertzes may smoke. I think both Vivian Vance and William Frawley may take one drag off of a cigarette.  There's another early episode where they both hold cigarettes, but I don't believe either ever actually smokes the cigarette. But after that, Vance and Frawley are never seen smoking. It seems Fred and Ethel's smoking habit went the way of the Mertzes' dog, Butch and Ethel's mother. 

I always figured that Lucy and Desi were both heavy smokers and they made their character's stage business smoking so they could get their fix while filming. Lol. 

2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

When they first came out, e cigs were thought to help people quit smoking and I gave them a try. All they did for me was to make me sick and cough my head off. It seems that a single e cig is equal to a whole pack of regular butts.

I know quite a few people who are vaping to try to give up regular cigarettes, and they're all **** that the state is trying to ban it because the state isn't getting its sweet sweet tax revenue and because it looks like smokers enjoy this compared to all the other smoking cessation methods.

It's tough to find good information though, because the anti-tobacco "public" health people are so addicted to bossing people around that they can't countenance the idea that vaping might be a feasible harm mitigation strategy.

• Like 2

Johnny Carson died from emphysema. His brother later related that when he visited him for the last time in the hospital Carson at one point made reference to "those damn cigarettes."

6a010536b86d36970c01bb0958e45d970d-pi

56 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

But in I Love Lucy, while Ricky and Lucy smoke up a storm, the Mertzes don't.  Only in the first season is there even an inkling that Mertzes may smoke. I think both Vivian Vance and William Frawley may take one drag off of a cigarette.  There's another early episode where they both hold cigarettes, but I don't believe either ever actually smokes the cigarette. But after that, Vance and Frawley are never seen smoking. It seems Fred and Ethel's smoking habit went the way of the Mertzes' dog, Butch and Ethel's mother. 

I always figured that Lucy and Desi were both heavy smokers and they made their character's stage business smoking so they could get their fix while filming. Lol. 

Yeah, word was the Mertzes dog, Butch and Ethel's mother all moved away to the same little town where Chuck Cunningham (Howard and Marion's oldest son) ended up and also never to be seen again.

(...although ironically, word ALSO was that Chuck would begin smoking like a chimney and develop a terrible cough at about age 60...he's still with us I understand, but it's said you never see Chuck about town without that little canister of oxygen he totes around)

;)

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes I remember seeing Yul doing that anti-smoking add. I don't have to watch the video to remember what he said. Very sad. One of my very best friends passed away, it'll be 2 years in January. He told me that of all the things he regretted in his life was smoking and he wished he could take back every cigarette he smoked.

I like the commercials they air now with people with holes in their throats. No voice box sounding like a robot. Very realistic. I wish more like Brenner had done ads like this .

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, word was the Mertzes dog, Butch and Ethel's mother all moved away to the same little town where Chuck Cunningham (Howard and Marion's oldest son) ended up and also never to be seen again.

(...although ironically, word ALSO was that Chuck would begin smoking like a chimney and develop a terrible cough at about age 60...he's still with us I understand, but it's said you never see Chuck about town without that little canister of oxygen he totes around)

;)

Lol.  Judy from Family Matters (i.e. The Urkel Show) must have joined them 15 years later. Lol. 

Now, in another episode they make reference to Fred Mertz' MOTHER.  That woman must have not had a single vice, because she was alive and well enough to criticize Ethel.  She must have been related to 120-year old C. Montgomery Burns on The Simpsons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

I like the commercials they air now with people with holes in their throats. No voice box sounding like a robot. Very realistic. I wish more like Brenner had done ads like this .

I haven't seen any anti-smoking commercials lately.  Lately, it's been the anti-opioid movement with "Amy P. from Columbus, OH who purposely wrecked her car to get more prescription pain killers." 

My favorite anti-drug commercial was from the 90s. It featured Rachael Leigh Cook giving a demonstration of what happens to you when you use heroin. 

19 hours ago, Fedya said:

I know quite a few people who are vaping to try to give up regular cigarettes, and they're all **** that the state is trying to ban it because the state isn't getting its sweet sweet tax revenue and because it looks like smokers enjoy this compared to all the other smoking cessation methods.

It's tough to find good information though, because the anti-tobacco "public" health people are so addicted to bossing people around that they can't countenance the idea that vaping might be a feasible harm mitigation strategy.

Correct. I don't know what the kids are putting in their vapes, but it can't be good.

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

My favorite anti-drug commercial was from the 90s. It featured Rachael Leigh Cook giving a demonstration of what happens to you when you use heroin. 

My favorite anti-drug commercial:

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

" Call for Philip Morris." Philip Morris was one of the big sponsors of  "I Love Lucy".

I tried smoking in my yoot, but didn't find all that much to like about it.  Later on I knew a family that had Swisher Sweets around, and whenever he had one lit you could smell it across his yard.  Tasty indeed, but that is still smoking, so it didn't catch on with me.

Went all the way up through the late 1990s or early 2000s with bars and restaurants full of smoke.  I remember after I got home I always had to hang my jacket up outside in the garage to air out.  My pants and dress shirt in the bathroom.  That was the norm for me.

I used to be on the road for a couple different jobs.  One involved live music, the other manufacturing.  I always thought it was weird how after a certain point the restaurants out West didn't have smoking.  It was just normal to go anywhere after-hours to eat with the crew and have my eyes water from the smoke in the restaurant.  Then when I went to the non-smoking towns, it was completely gone.  It seemed something was missing.  I even remarked to the locals about how I wasn't complaining, but thought it was just weird.  They either laughed or explained.

Fast forward to ten years ago, we had been "smoke free" for about ten years or so and I was at a small-time junkyard scrapping an old vehicle.  The customer area hadn't been updated in 30-40 years.  Old fiberglass chairs from the 1970s.  Outdated calendars on the walls from the 1980s.  A credit card machine that used carbon paper.  The yard hands walking in and out were very politically incorrect, talking guff about who knows what, it made me smile and yearn for the past.  Then I noticed the smell, yes that smell of a smoking area.  Took me back to at least the 1980s and all the people who are no longer around.  A real time capsule.  If only I could bottle it.  Well I guess I could watch Used Cars (1980) again.