Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did any leading actors or actresses in Hollywood's Golden Age NOT smoke in their movies?

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I haven't seen any anti-smoking commercials lately.  Lately, it's been the anti-opioid movement with "Amy P. from Columbus, OH who purposely wrecked her car to get more prescription pain killers." 

My favorite anti-drug commercial was from the 90s. It featured Rachael Leigh Cook giving a demonstration of what happens to you when you use heroin. 

Crickets??  That is what really happens.  The addict lays down and falls asleep wherever it is most convenient.  They don't even make it to a couch, let alone a bed.  Often just on the floor, wherever they happen to be at the moment.  That is why they find so many heroin addicts dead on the floor in their home.  As if they were taking a nap.

P.S. I would know, someone in my extended family ended up like this.

2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Correct. I don't know what the kids are putting in their vapes, but it can't be good.

Based on various news reports, I think the most dangerous part about vaping so far has been "exploding batteries", often from vaping addicts "modding" their devices to produce more output and so forth...  Or poor design...  Or the batteries potentially not being a safe design to begin with - as seen with some cell phones.  IMO not large enough to have substantial barriers or necessary rigidity in their construction.

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Based on various news reports, I think the most dangerous part about vaping so far has been "exploding batteries", often from vaping addicts "modding" their devices to produce more output and so forth...  Or poor design...  Or the batteries potentially not being a safe design to begin with - as seen with some cell phones.  IMO not large enough to have substantial barriers or necessary rigidity in their construction.

We're hearing that the kids are making their own mixtures, adding chemicals to the mix.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Rin Tin Tin, Asta, Toto

No CJ, gotta admit I've never seen any of those canines smoke at all, and unlike Dennis the Dog here...

(...at least that sounds like the name she's calling out here anyway)

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

This may not be directly related to the question of this topic, but speaking of smoking, has anyone seen a movie where the lead character smokes and drinks as much as Johnny Depp in the "Ninth Gate" ? In just about every scene, Dean Corso (Johnny Depp), the main character in that movie, is smoking a cigarette and has a glass of whisky in his hand (but who am I to criticize: I have a glass of Scotch myself as I am writing this post).

On 9/26/2019 at 5:09 PM, Roy Cronin said:

Surprised to see even Teresa Wright got into the ads!

Funny about Teresa - I've seen her do ads for Lipton tea, Jergens hand lotion, V8, cola, cameras, cigarillos (with her husband), etc. but this solo cigarette ad business just goes totally over my head considering I have never seen her smoke in any of her pictures. I'm so used to seeing everyone smoke in front of the camera that it's extremely noticeable to me when someone like her doesn't.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2019 at 9:21 PM, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  Judy from Family Matters (i.e. The Urkel Show) must have joined them 15 years later. Lol. 

Now, in another episode they make reference to Fred Mertz' MOTHER.  That woman must have not had a single vice, because she was alive and well enough to criticize Ethel.  She must have been related to 120-year old C. Montgomery Burns on The Simpsons.

LOL. I don't remember the Mertzs ever mentioning a dog. So this was the first season? I don't remember the Mertzs smoking either. Interesting. Fred was probably too cheap to buy them or let Ethel buy either!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I don't remember the Mertzs ever mentioning a dog. So this was the first season? I don't remember the Mertzs smoking either. Interesting. Fred was probably too cheap to buy them or let Ethel buy either!

Haha. They have a dog named Butch in episode #4, The Diet.  It's the episode where Lucy is trying to lose 12 pounds in four days so that she can appear as Sally Sweet at The Tropicana.  She ends up putting herself in a sweatbox for 5 hours to lose the last 5 pounds.  I think the only reason the dog exists is so that he can fight Lucy for a piece of steak that she is desperate to eat. 

The Mertzes only smoke a couple times in the entire series.  In a season 1 episode, #2 The Girls Want to Go to a Nightclub (I Love Lucy's series debut, despite being the 2nd episode filmed), Fred and Ethel light their cigarettes and both take a drag, but then I think they both just hold them for the remainder of the scene.  There's a season 3 episode, #70 Equal Rights, where Lucy and Ethel light each other's cigarettes as a way to show polite manners to Ricky and Fred who are going out of their way to treat Lucy and Ethel like men.  After lighting each other's cigarettes, Lucy says to Ethel: "At least two of us are gentlemen."  I don't believe that Ethel actually smokes her cigarette in the scene.  I think she just holds it.

What's funny is that Fred could be really cheap but then he'll purchase $1200 worth of oil well stock on a complete whim.  I'd also love to know who paid for him and Ethel to spend at least 6 months in Hollywood at the Beverly Palms.  I know MGM was paying for the Ricardos' suite (and room service bills), but who was paying for Fred and Ethel's room and (assuming) room service?  By the time they go to Europe for 3 months (or however long it was), Fred was working as Ricky's manager, so I assume that Ricky was able to write off Fred's expenses as a salary, and I think he ends up saying that he'll have enough money coming in that he can pay for Lucy and Ethel. 

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Let's not forget what happened in 1987, shall we? Bette Davis appeared on The Tonight Show and got an ovation just for lighting her cigarette.

I don't like smoking, but damn if it doesn't look cool in old movies. In new movies, I see smoking, and I just think "ugh." I especially think it's terrible when young people are smoking. 

Who can forget Paul Henreid lighting two cigarettes at once in Now, Voyager

Audrey Hepburn's enormous cigarette holder in Breakfast at Tiffanys? 

In a 1971 Dick Cavett interview, I think Cavett lights a cigarette for Bette Davis and even that was cool. 

• Like 1

I've never smoked a day in my life, despite the 'cool' image of it in so many classic films.

Which is a miracle, since, with the exception of my mother, my whole family has smoked at one time or another (and a couple of members still do).

I guess I was fortunate I was born in the mid 70's, where there was a bit more out in the open about the dangers of smoking to one's health.

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Haha. They have a dog named Butch in episode #4, The Diet.  It's the episode where Lucy is trying to lose 12 pounds in four days so that she can appear as Sally Sweet at The Tropicana.  She ends up putting herself in a sweatbox for 5 hours to lose the last 5 pounds.  I think the only reason the dog exists is so that he can fight Lucy for a piece of steak that she is desperate to eat. 

The Mertzes only smoke a couple times in the entire series.  In a season 1 episode, #2 The Girls Want to Go to a Nightclub (I Love Lucy's series debut, despite being the 2nd episode filmed), Fred and Ethel light their cigarettes and both take a drag, but then I think they both just hold them for the remainder of the scene.  There's a season 3 episode, #70 Equal Rights, where Lucy and Ethel light each other's cigarettes as a way to show polite manners to Ricky and Fred who are going out of their way to treat Lucy and Ethel like men.  After lighting each other's cigarettes, Lucy says to Ethel: "At least two of us are gentlemen."  I don't believe that Ethel actually smokes her cigarette in the scene.  I think she just holds it.

What's funny is that Fred could be really cheap but then he'll purchase $1200 worth of oil well stock on a complete whim.  I'd also love to know who paid for him and Ethel to spend at least 6 months in Hollywood at the Beverly Palms.  I know MGM was paying for the Ricardos' suite (and room service bills), but who was paying for Fred and Ethel's room and (assuming) room service?  By the time they go to Europe for 3 months (or however long it was), Fred was working as Ricky's manager, so I assume that Ricky was able to write off Fred's expenses as a salary, and I think he ends up saying that he'll have enough money coming in that he can pay for Lucy and Ethel. 

Oh, I remember that one now! (The sweatbox). Oh, yes, Equal RIghts! That one was funny. I'd forgotten about that one. Just a plot device.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2019 at 4:07 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

I tried smoking in my yoot, but didn't find all that much to like about it.  Later on I knew a family that had Swisher Sweets around, and whenever he had one lit you could smell it across his yard.  Tasty indeed, but that is still smoking, so it didn't catch on with me.

Went all the way up through the late 1990s or early 2000s with bars and restaurants full of smoke.  I remember after I got home I always had to hang my jacket up outside in the garage to air out.  My pants and dress shirt in the bathroom.  That was the norm for me.

I used to be on the road for a couple different jobs.  One involved live music, the other manufacturing.  I always thought it was weird how after a certain point the restaurants out West didn't have smoking.  It was just normal to go anywhere after-hours to eat with the crew and have my eyes water from the smoke in the restaurant.  Then when I went to the non-smoking towns, it was completely gone.  It seemed something was missing.  I even remarked to the locals about how I wasn't complaining, but thought it was just weird.  They either laughed or explained.

Fast forward to ten years ago, we had been "smoke free" for about ten years or so and I was at a small-time junkyard scrapping an old vehicle.  The customer area hadn't been updated in 30-40 years.  Old fiberglass chairs from the 1970s.  Outdated calendars on the walls from the 1980s.  A credit card machine that used carbon paper.  The yard hands walking in and out were very politically incorrect, talking guff about who knows what, it made me smile and yearn for the past.  Then I noticed the smell, yes that smell of a smoking area.  Took me back to at least the 1980s and all the people who are no longer around.  A real time capsule.  If only I could bottle it.  Well I guess I could watch Used Cars (1980) again.

Fiberglass chairs. Can't remember the last time I've seen them around..........

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Oh, I remember that one now! (The sweatbox). Oh, yes, Equal RIghts! That one was funny. I'd forgotten about that one. Just a plot device.

My favorite part of the "Equal Rights" episode is when Ricky and Fred start shaving at the table.  I think they're trying to comment on women touching up their makeup at the table, but I think Fred using lather and Ricky plugging in an electric razor is a little extreme. Lol. 

I also like in the beginning when Ricky goes off on a particularly sexist rant and Lucy is seemingly taking it. She leaves the room, then comes back and goes "Oh yeah?!" and goes off on her own rant. Then Ethel says something like "Atta girl Lucy. I was wondering what happened to you."

4 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I've never smoked a day in my life, despite the 'cool' image of it in so many classic films.

Which is a miracle, since, with the exception of my mother, my whole family has smoked at one time or another (and a couple of members still do).

I guess I was fortunate I was born in the mid 70's, where there was a bit more out in the open about the dangers of smoking to one's health.

I've never smoked a day in my life either.  I could never aspire to the level of coolness in classic film. Lol.

I was born in the mid-80s, very much amidst the anti-smoking/anti-drug, "just say no" years.  I also had to go through the DARE program in elementary school. My DARE shirt is still too big.

I very much recall seeing side-by-side photos of a real smoker's lung versus a real healthy lung in my 5th grade health book.  This was like '94 or so.  I'm guessing the books were probably from the 80s.  I remember thinking that the black, charred, crusty smoker's lung was so gross, it made me want to stay far away from cigarettes. Nobody in my immediate family has smoked, so fortunately it was easy to avoid at least at home. In public I try to stand away from people smoking, if at all possible--otherwise, I try not to breathe much. Lol. 

On 9/27/2019 at 8:23 PM, speedracer5 said:

My favorite anti-drug commercial was from the 90s. It featured Rachael Leigh Cook giving a demonstration of what happens to you when you use heroin. 

I love Rachel Leigh Cook (I never get tired of SHE'S ALL THAT) and I love the anti-drug commercial that she appeared in.

"Wait, it's not over yet"

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I love Rachel Leigh Cook (I never get tired of SHE'S ALL THAT) and I love the anti-drug commercial that she appeared in.

"Wait, it's not over yet"

I remember when that commercial was new! I've always hated commercials (unless they had jingles), but I loved this commercial.  There was something satisfying about watching Rachael Leigh Cook destroy a kitchen.

I also love She's All That.  I never tire of Matthew Lillard with the tattoo of himself on his arm.  Or DJ Usher having the kids dance to the song he taught them.  Or Kevin Pollack yelling out obviously terrible answers to the Jeopardy questions. This film is one of the quintessential "put glasses on pretty girl to make her homely, then take them off during makeover, and wow! she's actually really pretty" films. I also never tire of Paul Walker not being able to hear because of Rachael Leigh Cook using her self-defense noise device thing in his ear when he tries to get her to have sex with him after prom. She's All That is among the last of the truly entertaining teen films.  Mean Girls might be the last.  Teen films nowadays? LAME. 

21 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I remember when that commercial was new! I've always hated commercials (unless they had jingles), but I loved this commercial.  There was something satisfying about watching Rachael Leigh Cook destroy a kitchen.

I also love She's All That.  I never tire of Matthew Lillard with the tattoo of himself on his arm.  Or DJ Usher having the kids dance to the song he taught them.  Or Kevin Pollack yelling out obviously terrible answers to the Jeopardy questions. This film is one of the quintessential "put glasses on pretty girl to make her homely, then take them off during makeover, and wow! she's actually really pretty" films. I also never tire of Paul Walker not being able to hear because of Rachael Leigh Cook using her self-defense noise device thing in his ear when he tries to get her to have sex with him after prom. She's All That is among the last of the truly entertaining teen films.  Mean Girls might be the last.  Teen films nowadays? LAME. 

Yes Laney Boggs was clearly pretty even with the glasses and the unibrow, so we have to suspend our disbelief on that point, but I still love the movie.

Paul Walker was supposedly a really nice guy in real life, but he played a jerk so well in SHE'S ALL THAT.

I love that performance art scene in the movie. "My soul is an island; my car is a Ford." 

You probably know this already, but the song "Kiss Me" was not written specifically for the movie. Whenever I hear the song though I always think of SHE'S ALL THAT.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes Laney Boggs was clearly pretty even with the glasses and the unibrow, so we have to suspend our disbelief on that point, but I still love the movie.

Paul Walker was supposedly a really nice guy in real life, but he played a jerk so well in SHE'S ALL THAT.

I love that performance art scene in the movie. "My soul is an island; my car is a Ford." 

You probably know this already, but the song "Kiss Me" was not written specifically for the movie. Whenever I hear the song though I always think of SHE'S ALL THAT.

I always think of Lainey walking down the stairs (and falling) when I hear Sixpence None the Richer's "Kiss Me." The same thing happens when I hear Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait" song, aka "Dawson's Creek" theme song--AND I DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THAT SHOW. I HATED DAWSON SO MUCH...F-F-FLAMES ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE.

I love Lainey's taco hat that was part of her work uniform.  

The performance art scene is funny. I also liked when they would show Brock's scenes from when he was on Real World.  Wasn't Brock waiting to appear on Road Rules or something like that?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I always think of Lainey walking down the stairs (and falling) when I hear Sixpence None the Richer's "Kiss Me." The same thing happens when I hear Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait" song, aka "Dawson's Creek" theme song--AND I DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THAT SHOW. I HATED DAWSON SO MUCH...F-F-FLAMES ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE.

I love Lainey's taco hat that was part of her work uniform.  

The performance art scene is funny. I also liked when they would show Brock's scenes from when he was on Real World.  Wasn't Brock waiting to appear on Road Rules or something like that?

Yes, Brock (Matthew Lilllard) ultimately dumps Taylor because he is chosen to be on ROAD RULES.

I love Brock's "Give It To Me, Baby" dance.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes, Brock (Matthew Lilllard) ultimately dumps Taylor because he is chosen to be on ROAD RULES.

I love Brock's "Give It To Me, Baby" dance.

Yes! 

Have you seen the Rick James video for this song? As they'd say in another one of my faves, "Valley Girl," "Gag me with a spoon!" 

40 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes! 

Have you seen the Rick James video for this song? As they'd say in another one of my faves, "Valley Girl," "Gag me with a spoon!" 

I haven't seen the Rick James video in its entirety, but I think I saw enough.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I haven't seen the Rick James video in its entirety, but I think I saw enough.

I will forever have that video burned into my retinas.

In slow, breathy voice:

GIVE....IT...TO...ME...BABY.... 

The greatest things that Rick James ever did was sing back-up for Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time" song and providing us with the music for MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." 

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I will forever have that video burned into my retinas.

In slow, breathy voice:

GIVE....IT...TO...ME...BABY.... 

The greatest things that Rick James ever did was sing back-up for Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time" song and providing us with the music for MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." 

He also gave the world the immortal quote "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

• Haha 1