Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingrat

The Soap Opera Thread

I know we could keep hijacking the Blue Denim thread, but there is so much to discuss concerning the soaps, their actors, storylines, etc. Obviously there are a number of us who are or were devoted soap opera watchers, and I only wish I had made notes. So many of the early soap opera episodes were taped over. Many performances now exist only in our memories, just like theater performances.

Movies and soaps had a great connection, with young stars sometimes moving to the big screen--I remember Christopher Reeve on Love on Life, one of many examples--and aging stars moving back to the small screen.

Please join the conversation.

• Like 2

90s prime time soaps are my expertise, if those are allowed, I'm in.

I was considering however diving into the world of 80s primetime soaps.  Dynasty was on Amazon awhile back.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm in. I watched all the primetime soaps. Knots Landing ( my fav) Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty, The Colby's, and sometimes Melrose Place.

Is Falcon Crest the spin-off of Dallas? Or is that Knots Landing? or maybe a different show? As someone born in the early part of the mid-80s, I wasn't really old enough to watch any of these shows.  I seem to have very faint memories of seeing the tail end of Dallas in the early 90s--at least the theme song and opening credits.  That was when I was like 6 or 7.  I got started on my nighttime soaps at a very young age--after Dallas, I kind of went straight into 90210

Which show had Barbara Stanwyck on it? Was it Falcon Crest that had all the old Hollywood stars?

I think I need to determine what 80s nighttime soaps trajectory I should follow. 

I never watched programming for my own age, except for the cartoons on Disney Afternoon and Batman: the Animated Series.  My peers have lots of nostalgia for 90s Disney Channel programming--I do not, because I never watched it.  Nighttime soaps and Nick at Nite were my life as an elementary/middle schooler in the 90s. 

Right now, I'm 3 seasons into '90210.' I finished season 3. Then had to go back to the beginning for my husband, who got hooked on the show halfway through season 3, so he had to catch up on the story.  I still have seasons 4-10 to go.  I'm considering a re-watch of Melrose Place since it takes place in the same world as '90210.'  I'm buying the seasons of '90210' because I love the show so much.  I don't think I need to own Melrose Place, but I am hoping Hulu has all the episodes--but I'm sure the library has them. 

EDIT: I also watched the new Murder She Wrote episode every week.  I believe it aired Sundays after 60 Minutes, which I think aired after Sunday Night Football. I'm positive about MSW following 60 Minutes, not sure about NFL.

59 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Is Falcon Crest the spin-off of Dallas? Or is that Knots Landing? or maybe a different show? As someone born in the early part of the mid-80s, I wasn't really old enough to watch any of these shows.  I seem to have very faint memories of seeing the tail end of Dallas in the early 90s--at least the theme song and opening credits.  That was when I was like 6 or 7.  I got started on my nighttime soaps at a very young age--after Dallas, I kind of went straight into 90210

Which show had Barbara Stanwyck on it? Was it Falcon Crest that had all the old Hollywood stars?

I think I need to determine what 80s nighttime soaps trajectory I should follow. 

I never watched programming for my own age, except for the cartoons on Disney Afternoon and Batman: the Animated Series.  My peers have lots of nostalgia for 90s Disney Channel programming--I do not, because I never watched it.  Nighttime soaps and Nick at Nite were my life as an elementary/middle schooler in the 90s. 

Right now, I'm 3 seasons into '90210.' I finished season 3. Then had to go back to the beginning for my husband, who got hooked on the show halfway through season 3, so he had to catch up on the story.  I still have seasons 4-10 to go.  I'm considering a re-watch of Melrose Place since it takes place in the same world as '90210.'  I'm buying the seasons of '90210' because I love the show so much.  I don't think I need to own Melrose Place, but I am hoping Hulu has all the episodes--but I'm sure the library has them. 

EDIT: I also watched the new Murder She Wrote episode every week.  I believe it aired Sundays after 60 Minutes, which I think aired after Sunday Night Football. I'm positive about MSW following 60 Minutes, not sure about NFL.

Dallas was first, Knots Landing was a spin-off of Dallas. Falcon Crest was not a spin-off of anything. It starred Jane Wyman, it's about a winery in Northern California that Jane is the head of. Knots takes place in California too, but south. Both had tons of stars that appeared on the show at one time or another Kim Novak, Lana Turner made guest appearances on Falcon. Barbara Stanwyck and Charlton Heston starred in The Colby's that was a spin-off of Dynasty. I adored Knots, it was on for 14 years and I've seen every episode.

Yes that was standard fare in our house on Sunday nights, first 60 Minutes then MSW. I've seen every episode of 90210 so if you want to know anything ahead let me know LOL

• Like 1

DITTO here too. 60 MINS, then MSW. And often the movie following. Those were the days........(Sun. nights)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Dallas was first, Knots Landing was a spin-off of Dallas. Falcon Crest was not a spin-off of anything. It starred Jane Wyman, it's about a winery in Northern California that Jane is the head of. Knots takes place in California too, but south. Both had tons of stars that appeared on the show at one time or another Kim Novak, Lana Turner made guest appearances on Falcon. Barbara Stanwyck and Charlton Heston starred in The Colby's that was a spin-off of Dynasty. I adored Knots, it was on for 14 years and I've seen every episode.

Yes that was standard fare in our house on Sunday nights, first 60 Minutes then MSW. I've seen every episode of 90210 so if you want to know anything ahead let me know LOL

Thanks.  It'll take me awhile to get through Dallas.  A lot of seasons.  I love Larry Hagman though. I've only really seen him as Major Nelson.  I do know Who Shot JR? I learned the answer in one of VH1's "I love the 80s*" shows. I also know about Bobby returning in a later season, it was all Victoria Principal's dream. 

* As a side note with "I Love the xx" series. I watched all of them: I love the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  The 90s I was all over and had vague memories of '88 and '89. But I would watch the I Love the 70s, say, 1970 (14 years before I was born, my dad was only 9, lol), and they'd talk about say the premiere of Mary Tyler Moore, and I'd be thinking "I remember seeing that." Then I'd think "wait. No you don't. You've seen it, but not in 1970 as a premiere)".  I kept thinking I remembered all these things from the 70s, only to realize, "no. no you don't." 

I'll have to get into another soap after 90210. Or I could watch two concurrently.  I believe that I've also seen every episode of 90210 as I watched it when it was originally on.  However, I was still in elementary school during the early seasons. I did remember the Kelly-Dylan-Brenda debacle and I remembered the DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES! episode.  I clearly remembered high school commencement.  I also remembered being sad that I didn't get to see Dylan's new boots he bought for the occasion.  On my subsequent watch as a 35-year old and not as a 9 year old, I remembered my dismay at not seeing his boots.  And as an adult, I was still sad I didn't get to see his boots. Lol. I watched the show all the way through the end. I remembered Donna and David FINALLY hitting the sack after what seemed like an eternity of hearing Donna say no to David.  I remembered David getting laid in the back of Babyface's limo.  I remembered all the terrible things that happened to Kelly: cocaine addiction, joining a cult, the fire, the lesbian stalker, getting shot, attempted rape, completed rape, Kelly going to jail for shooting and killing her rapist, everything. I remembered how the show ended.  I am really enjoying reliving all of it. 

HANDS DOWN: the greatest moment so far through season 3 is Dylan and Kelly (on a date) running into Brenda and Dean "Superman" Cain (also on a date) running into each other at the restaurant. Dylan and Kelly are basically enroute to go back to his Craftsman to have some hot sex and that is ruined by running into Brenda.

There are some minor characters that I'd forgotten about. Like I completely forgot about Scott Scanlon and his Stetson hat.

I really want a 90210 Dylan doll.  But they're really expensive online. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In 1986, when I was 8 years old, I would walk home from elementary school in time to catch SANTA BARBARA at 3:00 pm.

From 1986 to 1989, SANTA BARBARA was my life.

Then, as is often the case, they fired (locked out?) the original creators and brought in JILL FARREN PHELPS- whose name strikes terror in the hearts of soap fans everywhere because she is THE DESTROYER. She ran that show into the ground in a hot minute.

I moved on to ANOTHER WORLD, which I contend from 1989 until 1992 was one of the best acted shows on TV, period- daytime, night time- whatever. I started watching during what was probably the best WHODUNNIT? I've seen on soaps- THE MURDER OF JASON FRAME AT FELICIA GALLANT'S "40TH" [ed note- ha ha] BIRTHDAY PARTY.

Then JILL FARREN PHELPS came to "turn around" AW and by 1999, it was cancelled- and a shell of its former self.

I've always felt a loyalty to NBC soaps, and I gave PASSIONS a try, but it was so stupid. I am also familiar with DAYS OF OUR LIVES, it is what it is, but it is not ANOTHER WORLD

In the past two years or so, I've been watching youtube vids of episodes of AW and SB- SB is nowhere as good as I recall- although many of the actors were gifted (ROBIN WRIGHT- of course- LANE DAVIES- who should've been a bigger star- NANCY LEE GRAHN, who is still a big name in soaps as ROBIN MATSON as steamy schemer GINA) BUT WOW- THOSE SETS ARE CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP!!!!!!!!!

AW is pretty good though- not just the acting which was always top-notch, but also the sets and production values.

• Like 3

Wasn't John Stamos in General Hospital? 

I think Days Of Our Lives is the show that took place in Salem, right? As someone who grew up in Salem, Oregon, I liked thinking that I lived in Days of Our Lives

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I think Days Of Our Lives is the show that took place in Salem, right? As someone who grew up in Salem, Oregon, I liked thinking that I lived in Days of Our Lives

Yes, he was. I'm not sure where DOOL was located though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

In 1986, when I was 8 years old, I would walk home from elementary school in time to catch SANTA BARBARA at 3:00 pm.

From 1986 to 1989, SANTA BARBARA was my life.

I'm glad I wasn't the only elementary school kid hooked on soap operas, albeit, mine were nighttime soaps. 

We were just so sophisticated. No lame cartoons for us.

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know if he was ever in General Hospital, but he was definitely on it.

• Haha 2

Yes, DOOL is in Salem, but it's supposed to be some Midwestern town. Sorry!

• Sad 1

How about Twin Peaks? It's more of a parody of soap operas with the fictional show-within-the-show "Invitation to Love" a parody of the more soap elements of the show.

I remember Morgan Freeman on Another World. And Anne Heche. I think she played twins.

I recall liking Victoria Wyndham on that show. And whoever played Carl.

John Aprea from The Godfather Part II was on there, I think as Linda Dano's love interest.

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Salem, Oregon isn't dramatic enough to be the setting for a soap opera.  It's a government town. Ugh. We don't need a political soap opera.  Real politics are a soap opera-- a really lame, boring one. 

17 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I don't know if he was ever in General Hospital, but he was definitely on it.

He was in the hospital (dressed as Fred Flintstone) with an appendicitis in an episode of Full House. Maybe that was "General Hospital" in San Francisco.

17 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Salem, Oregon isn't dramatic enough to be the setting for a soap opera.  It's a government town. Ugh. We don't need a political soap opera.  Real politics are a soap opera-- a really lame, boring one. 

Needs to be another Falcon Crest like show in the Willamette Valley. Don't think you could sell a show from Dallas, Oregon.

Making movies in Oregon goes back to 1909.

The Fisherman's Bride (1909)

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Midwestern with the occasional line of palm trees in the background of an exterior shot or rear projection driving scene. 

• Haha 1

I watched a little of santa Barbara or was it passions when they had Juliet Mills playing a witch with her midget familiar. I wasn't following the stories as I had the sound turned down

:D