Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingrat

The Soap Opera Thread

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PASSIONS p!ssed me off.

It started out with promise- but it ended up leaning HARD the ONE SOAP OPERA TROPE that NEEDED to die in order for a new show to work in the 21st century- and that is 1. NOTHING EVER HAPPENS ON IT.

Any given episode of PASSIONS was about five unresolved storylines that would only get resolved in dreams or as fantasies- I mean, they were AGGRESSIVE about making sure **** went on FOREVER and NOTHING ever got figured out.

DAYS also had this problem for a while, but they also would at least OCCASIONALLY resolve a storyline, PASSIONS was just five years of "will they/won't they/seriously who the Hell cares?"

Lol. One could say that Passions is the Hallmark movie of the soap opera world. 

Wasn't La Lucci's daughter on Passions ?

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol. One could say that Passions is the Hallmark movie of the soap opera world. 

Wasn't La Lucci's daughter on Passions ?

1. DAMN, THAT IS APT AS HELL! EVEN THE OPENING AND THEME SONG ARE TOTALLY HALLMARK/LIFETIME-CENTRIC

2. Yes, and she looked NOOOOOOOTHING LIKE HER!!!!!!!!!!! Like, I don't know if she is adopted or what, but seriously-it was uncanny how she resembled her mother IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. DAMN, THAT IS APT AS HELL! EVEN THE OPENING AND THEME SONG ARE TOTALLY HALLMARK/LIFETIME-CENTRIC

2. Yes, and she looked NOOOOOOOTHING LIKE HER!!!!!!!!!!! Like, I don't know if she is adopted or what, but seriously-it was uncanny how she resembled her mother IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER.

I think Lucci is a vampire. That woman is in her 70s and looks like she's in her 40s. 

I don't know what Mr. Susan Lucci looks like to know if her daughter resembles him more. 

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Hibi, they did kill off one of the guys, but the audience HATED that, so, since this is Days, they decided he wasn't dead after all and was actually alive, captured and brainwashed by one of those crazy characters played by Eileen Davidson. As Lorna so truly said, Days is never afraid to go way out there. I did hear this bit of dialogue in a recent show: "So who's come back from the dead in Salem this week?"

LMREO! It's probably the same character again then. Too funny. Seems Eileen never plays anyone normal on soaps. (Y&R either).

32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

story_wide-1453837776.jpg

(MAYBE THERE IS MORE RESEMBLANCE THAN I LET ON, BUT BESIDES THE HAIR, SHE IS ALSO A FOOT TALLER)

I can see a little around the mouth/chin. It's probably the hair color that makes it seem like less of a resemblance

BUMMER. Already into a new story arc (and midweek) Decades is going back to the beginning of Dark Shadows and running it all over again! (at least the beginning of Barnabas). I guess they didnt obtain the rights to the whole show? 2 FANGS DOWN! Guess i wont be seeing the later episodes now. :( P-SSED!

They finished Vicky going back to the past and were starting the Adam storyline.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

the Adam storyline.

It's not a fave, it drags, it gets better towards the end of it when they create an "Eve" for Adam it's hilarious because it goes way beyond Elsa Lancaster's Bride Of Frankenstein ending Eve is quite the Vamp

Related image

• Thanks 1

Marie Wallace, who played Eve (and later played other characters on DS), had an ever better role on Somerset as India Delaney, who married Robert Delaney (Nicolas Coster) for his money, later inherited the business from her father-in-law, and then was almost killed by her second husband. The best character on that show, and they wrote her out? AW had enough sense to add Coster, but should have added her as well.

Sorry to hear that they weren't continuing DS. The two visits to the 19th century were my favorite DS storylines.

6 hours ago, kingrat said:

Marie Wallace, who played Eve (and later played other characters on DS), had an ever better role on Somerset as India Delaney, who married Robert Delaney (Nicolas Coster) for his money, later inherited the business from her father-in-law, and then was almost killed by her second husband. The best character on that show, and they wrote her out? AW had enough sense to add Coster, but should have added her as well.

Sorry to hear that they weren't continuing DS. The two visits to the 19th century were my favorite DS storylines.

I love NICHOLAS COSTER, I grew up watching him as Lionel Lockridge on “Santa Barbara“, which was funny for me because at the time my father’s law partner was named Lionel and looked *exactly* like him. Unfortunately, Some new writers moved in or something and once the late 80s rolled around the Lockridges were not focused on as much by the show, which was a huge loss.

He also did a small role on the 25th anniversary of another world where he had really terrific chemistry with, Sorry I know I keep bringing her up but, CARMEN DUNCAN

He still shows up every now and then and commercials, apparently he was in one that ran in great Britain where he did a flawless English accent. And he also shows up in the occasional movie.

(Sorry if the posts I make with my phone are kind of rambling aNd nonsensical, I had one of those “automatic iPhone updates whether you like it or not” and ain’t **** working right.)

I was a big fan of Marie Wallace on Dark Shadows. Her Mad Jenny was one of my favorite characters.

If you weren't aware, she wrote a book a number of years ago (2005), Foreword by Jonathan Frid:

On Stage & In Shadows

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

It's not a fave, it drags, it gets better towards the end of it when they create an "Eve" for Adam it's hilarious because it goes way beyond Elsa Lancaster's Bride Of Frankenstein ending Eve is quite the Vamp

Related image

Unfortunately, doesn't appear I'll be seeing it or anything beyond it. Decades has gone back to reairing Barnabas' first appearance. I'm not watching all of that again. Will take a year or more to get that far. By that time they'll probably drop it.

8 hours ago, kingrat said:

Yes, mine too! (the 2 forays into the past). I'm P-SSED!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

I was a big fan of Marie Wallace on Dark Shadows. Her Mad Jenny was one of my favorite characters.

If you weren't aware, she wrote a book a number of years ago (2005), Foreword by Jonathan Frid:

635880395_51xFZVN9MKL._SX331_BO1204203200_.jpg.5c3fb4cbedaf96eb2ae90da5c5786aed.jpg

Didn't know that!

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Sorry if the posts I make with my phone are kind of rambling aNd nonsensical, I had one of those “automatic iPhone updates whether you like it or not” and ain’t **** working right.)

Does your iphone update by itself? Mine nags me to death to update, but I can't update unless I have it plugged into an electrical outlet (I always charge my phone with my computer or car charger). I still haven't updated my phone. 

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Does your iphone update by itself? Mine nags me to death to update, but I can't update unless I have it plugged into an electrical outlet (I always charge my phone with my computer or car charger). I still haven't updated my phone. 

ONE DAY YOU WILL SLIP AND ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN.

AND NOTHING WILL WORK RIGHT.

THERE IS NO AVOIDING IT.

(actually, there is a way you can turn off the updates in the preferences. i just did it the other day)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ONE DAY YOU WILL SLIP AND ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN.

AND NOTHING WILL WORK RIGHT.

THERE IS NO AVOIDING IT.

(actually, there is a way you can turn off the updates in the preferences. i just did it the other day)

Hmm. I've never told it to auto-update. However, now my apps auto-update, they didn't do that on my old iPhone. What's really annoying is when the update overrides my settings in the app.  I turn off all auto-play videos and sounds, an update will happen, then I'll use the app AND HEAR SOMEONE'S STUPID SELF-MADE VIDEO. Ugh! I turn all Hulk-like as I once again change the settings to eliminate sound and auto-play videos. 

And apparently the writer hadn't even gotten to the really good storylines. We're lucky that the show was actually syndicated, whereas most of the tapes for other soaps were erased and taped over.

Yeah, true. Was still in the Barnabas early stuff.....It's funny when they changed to color, every once in awhile there'll be a black and white episode. I've been told that the episode was duped from a kinescope?

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/entire-days-lives-cast-released-contracts-1254184

Uh oh. The entire cast of Days of Our Lives has been fired.

Episodes for Days of Our Lives are filmed seven to eight months in advance. Meaning they already have completed episodes for broadcast through July 2020. Scripts have been written for episodes to be broadcast in August 2020 but those are not being filmed at this time.

The current deal with NBC ends next September. But NBC has until the last day in February to announce if it is renewing the show for one more year. 

If NBC axes the serial, then all those people will be brought back on a short-term contract in March to film the August episodes plus the final episodes for September, which have yet to be written. But if NBC renews the show, all or most of the cast will be brought back on long-term contracts.

This is a cost-saving measure for Corday Productions, since the studio will be dark (not in production) from the end of this month until March. The risk Ken Corday is taking is that while they are all off contract, some of them could land roles on other shows and not be available in March. 

I do think that NBC is going to axe the show. But I also think Corday will shop it to Netflix or some other streaming platform to keep it going, at least in a half hour format. If it goes to a half hour online, then it will definitely have a smaller budget in 2020-21, with probably half the cast permanently dropped. I also think that more people will be used on a recurring basis, without the benefit of contracts.

The ratings for Days of Our Lives have been quite low for several years. So if they do end up moving over to an online platform, how many people will watch it in a half hour version?

I should mention that Corday sued Sony, his production partner earlier this year and lost. Something to do with how Sony was selling episodes of the series (or not adequately selling episodes) in foreign markets. So I have a feeling Sony just wants to end it in its current format, and that will affect NBC's decision.

Supposedly the actors' contracts are through Corday's company, not Sony. So it may be that Corday is planning to put them back on contract later, and as I suggested, to form a new show for an online platform, without having anything to do with Sony or NBC.

There are any number of ways it could play out. But we will probably not get an official announcement till late February or early March.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to see that MARJ DUSAY passed away. She was PAMELA CAPWELL in SANTA BARBARA and VANESSA on ALL MY CHILDREN. 

I will never forget seeing her on “all my children” when it was revealed that her character was actually a sinister drug kingpin. She did this little thing where she wiggled her tongue and darted it out of her mouth and then put it back in, just like a cobra.

YOU WERE RIGHT TO NOT TRUST HER KELLY: