Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingrat

The Soap Opera Thread

Marj Dusay had countless primetime TV credits in the 1960s, 70s  & 80s (typically guest spots in crime shows, westerns and comedies).

She continued to do primetime spots while starting to make a name for herself in daytime soaps in the 80s. After a temporary replacement failed, she was hired to take over the part of scheming socialite Myrna Clegg on Capitol when producers were forced to recast the part due to Carolyn Jones' death in 1983. Marj probably did her best work as Myrna, and she had a memorable showdown with Richard Egan who played her husband in the very last episode of Capitol on March 20, 1987. Starts at the 1:54 mark in clip below.

After Capitol folded, to make room for The Bold and the Beautiful, Marj returned to roles in primetime. But she was lured back to daytime a short time later to play a villainess named Pamela Capwell. That character was a real loon.

Many daytime soap viewers will remember Marj Dusay as Alexandra Spaulding Thorpe on Guiding Light. She portrayed this iconic character on contract from 1993 to 1997, replacing Beverlee McKinsey. Then she came back on a recurring basis in 1998 and early 1999, before jumping ship to All My Children. 

Marj's days were numbered on AMC when her character Vanessa Cortlandt was revealed to be a drug dealer and she was written out of that series in 2002. But her former producer from Capitol and Santa Barbara (John Conboy) took over Guiding Light and brought her back as Alexandra in December 2002, when Joan Collins was let go from the role.

Marj played Alexandra on contract again from 2002 to 2005. The last few years she was featured on a recurring basis but still used quite a bit. She appeared in the very last episode of Guiding Light in September 2009, so she ended up playing Alexandra longer than any other actress.

Rest in Peace, Marj. You brought years of entertainment to television fans.

As a teen in the 80's, I started watching SANTA BARBARA around the time Kelly Capwell (Robin Wright) accidentally killed her ex-boyfriend and had to go on the run for quite some time (Wright was filming on location for THE PRINCESS BRIDE at the time). I stopped watching by the time a 3rd actress (forgot her name) took over the role of Kelly  and turned the character  into a self-righteous, judgmental witch.

I also got into ONE LIFE TO LIVE around the time Bo Buchanan (Robert S. Woods) was kidnapped and being held prisoner along with his wife in a castle then moved to Llanview into a bomb shelter while an imposter took his place. I hated the conclusion of the storyline, if I recall Bo eventually escaped but the wife wasn't so fortunate.....I think both she and the fake Bo ended up getting electrocuted. I actually watched the show for quite a few years, but my interest began to wane after the death of Megan Gordon (Jessica Tuck). I stopped watching altogether once the writers broke up Clint and Viki and hooked her up with Sloan Carpenter, a character I despised through and through. And I never did like any of Bo's newer love interests, with the exception of Sarah Gordon, Megan's 's sister, who was killed off only a few months after marrying Bo.

I wasn't born until 1974, I got into DARK SHADOWS through reruns. My mom did watch the show during its original run on television. Now I got the DVD's and we can both watch the show together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

As a teen in the 80's, I started watching SANTA BARBARA around the time Kelly Capwell (Robin Wright) accidentally killed her ex-boyfriend and had to go on the run for quite some time (Wright was filming on location for THE PRINCESS BRIDE at the time). I stopped watching by the time a 3rd actress (forgot her name) took over the role of Kelly  and turned the character  into a self-righteous, judgmental witch.

I also got into ONE LIFE TO LIVE around the time Bo Buchanan (Robert S. Woods) was kidnapped and being held prisoner along with his wife in a castle then moved to Llanview into a bomb shelter while an imposter took his place. I hated the conclusion of the storyline, if I recall Bo eventually escaped but the wife wasn't so fortunate.....I think both she and the fake Bo ended up getting electrocuted. I actually watched the show for quite a few years, but my interest began to wane after the death of Megan Gordon (Jessica Tuck). I stopped watching altogether once the writers broke up Clint and Viki and hooked her up with Sloan Carpenter, a character I despised through and through. And I never did like any of Bo's newer love interests, with the exception of Sarah Gordon, Megan's 's sister, who was killed off only a few months after marrying Bo.

I wasn't born until 1974, I got into DARK SHADOWS through reruns. My mom did watch the show during its original run on television. Now I got the DVD's and we can both watch the show together.

It's interesting you mention that Faux Bo story on OLTL. The first wife's name was Didi I think. That was the first time I watched OLTL, because I had seen Robert S. Woods on Days of Our Lives and followed him back to OLTL. I believe he made a name for himself on OLTL, but left New York and the show for awhile then went to L.A. and appeared on Days for about six months. His wife was killed on Days, too!

Anyway, I didn't much care for the Faux Bo story. It played out in the summer of '88 when I was home from school. In the fall, I dropped the show because of school and because the rest of OLTL didn't really excite me and make me want to keep tuning in. So I mostly just watched CBS soaps and Days, which was on NBC (recording them on our VCR). 

Years later I re-discovered OLTL...in 2010, when it was about to be axed by ABC. But ironically, its ratings were going up and even went up more after the cancellation announcement. I really enjoyed those last two years of OLTL.

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

YAWN. (VICTOR).....

Hope George Kennedy not boring.

George-Kennedy.jpg

Heh, George Kennedy looks just like Bert Lahr in that second photo!

I don't know if this counts, but I recently was intrigued by watching DARK SHADOWS. I was forbidden as a kid to watch any horror or soaps, so I've never seen an episode. Recently hearing the theme song and wanting to learn it on theremin, I figured might as well see what all the fuss was about & watch it.

I watched the first 3-4 episodes and found the situation preposterous. I did like the primitive sets and 60's fashions, and it was kind of endearing to see the early TV production mistakes of camera & boom shadows on the actors.

Except for Joan Bennett, the acting was AWFUL and the story went nowhere. So I tried taking a look at a season 3 and 4 episodes. I actually think the acting got WORSE. The main character Barnabas Collins was terrible. Mistakes were left in that should have been easy edits. Were they that cheap not to reshoot or was this originally "live"?

I did like the addition of the title becoming a wave with color-

They didn't shoot live, but they didnt do reshoots (unless a set collapsed or something major).  So line flubs etc. were left in. It was cheaply done, part of its appeal today. I remember a few times when people walked through a set they were using for the end credits!

I agree the pace of the show was very SLOW and it took forever for plots to progress......

early on DS was telecast live but eventually became taped and what's this about Jonathan Frid's acting being awful?

Frid being cast as Barnabas was brilliance and his Shakespearean stage skills saved the show and turned it into a phenomenon.

14 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Heh, George Kennedy looks just like Bert Lahr in that second photo!

I don't know if this counts, but I recently was intrigued by watching DARK SHADOWS. I was forbidden as a kid to watch any horror or soaps, so I've never seen an episode. Recently hearing the theme song and wanting to learn it on theremin, I figured might as well see what all the fuss was about & watch it.

I watched the first 3-4 episodes and found the situation preposterous. I did like the primitive sets and 60's fashions, and it was kind of endearing to see the early TV production mistakes of camera & boom shadows on the actors.

Except for Joan Bennett, the acting was AWFUL and the story went nowhere. So I tried taking a look at a season 3 and 4 episodes. I actually think the acting got WORSE. The main character Barnabas Collins was terrible. Mistakes were left in that should have been easy edits. Were they that cheap not to reshoot or was this originally "live"?

I did like the addition of the title becoming a wave with color-

When I was a kid, my mom watched General Hospital.  Didn't understood soap operas back then found them boring beyond belief.  The shadows of the old school venetian blinds are forever burned into my memory (by which ALL I remember). -_-

window-blind-shadows-wall-260nw-68148636

For Dark Shadows fans, I recently came across an article in a local paper about Donna Wandrey.  She had a short run on the show as Roxanne Drew.  She was one of Barnabas's love interests and also happened to be a vampire.  The character appeared in current time (1970) and also the 1840 storyline.  The article was written shortly after John Karlen's death and notes that she still does some commercial and regional theater work.  She lives on the Upper West Side as she did when appearing on the show, walking to the ABC studios on W 53rd.

Donna Wandrey Dark Shadows008_DW.jpg

• Like 1

it's funny this thread has popped up because, with it being OSCAR MONTH and all...I have been watching EPISODES FROM 1986 AND 87 of SANTA BARBARA which have popped up on YOUTUBE.

This is when the show was GOOD, before it got all rape happy and all the good actors left and were badly recast...

watching it, i really wish they had gone in with the plan for the show to run for 10 years and that's IT. They could have held on to some of the actors that way- and in the case of this show, it would have been worth it, they had a MOSTLY really talented and appealing cast at this time. the sets are cheap and it seems as though the town of SANTA BARBARA exists on 2500 square feet because peopel are always meeting in alcoves or at THE ONE RESTAURANT IN TOWN.

Some of the SYNTH MUSIC is SICK!!!

32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

skip to 2:39 in the video for AN ICONIC SOAP MOMENT:

DAYTIME DIABOLIQUE:

LMREO! Those soaps!

53 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

For Dark Shadows fans, I recently came across an article in a local paper about Donna Wandrey.  She had a short run on the show as Roxanne Drew.  She was one of Barnabas's love interests and also happened to be a vampire.  The character appeared in current time (1970) and also the 1840 storyline.  The article was written shortly after John Karlen's death and notes that she still does some commercial and regional theater work.  She lives on the Upper West Side as she did when appearing on the show, walking to the ABC studios on W 53rd.

Donna Wandrey Dark Shadows008_DW.jpg

I don't remember her, but then I don't remember a lot about the show in its later years.

I loved Donna Wandrey and was disappointed she didn't have a bigger career. She still looks beautiful in that later photo.

Two long-lived soap opera writers have died recently: 1)  Lee Phillip Bell, widow of William J. Bell. They created The Young and the Restless. 2) James Lipton, best known as the host of Inside the Actors Studio. (If you didn't care for him, that would be the fawning host of Inside the Actors Studio.) Lipton was a soap opera actor in the 1950s, but is better known as a writer for The Doctors and other shows, among them Capitol, whose head writer he was from 1984-1987, according to the obituary I saw. Again according to the obituary, Lipton helped save the Actors Studio by urging them to offer an M.F.A. degree and then by his interview show.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I loved Donna Wandrey and was disappointed she didn't have a bigger career. She still looks beautiful in that later photo.

Two long-lived soap opera writers have died recently: 1)  Lee Phillip Bell, widow of William J. Bell. They created The Young and the Restless. 2) James Lipton, best known as the host of Inside the Actors Studio. (If you didn't care for him, that would be the fawning host of Inside the Actors Studio.) Lipton was a soap opera actor in the 1950s, but is better known as a writer for The Doctors and other shows, among them Capitol, whose head writer he was from 1984-1987, according to the obituary I saw. Again according to the obituary, Lipton helped save the Actors Studio by urging them to offer an M.F.A. degree and then by his interview show.

Lipton was the last headwriter on Capitol from June 1986 to March 1987. Henry Slesar was headwriter from the summer of 1985 to the summer of 1986.

On The Doctors Lipton was a scriptwriter during the mid-70s.

• Thanks 1