Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingrat

The Soap Opera Thread

I never could get into daytime soaps because they go on and on and on... I did enjoy Dynasty back in the day. Actually that new Dallas was really good at first. Then it got really stupid seemingly overnight and went away.

I wish some night time soaps were produced like the Spanish novelas: Washed up actors we haven't seen in years back on the screen with new actors just starting out. And the best part: they go about two months... and then they end ! And a new story begins.

Unfortunately, my Spanish isn't nearly good enough to keep up.

29 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I wish some night time soaps were produced like the Spanish novelas: Washed up actors we haven't seen in years back on the screen with new actors just starting out. And the best part: they go about two months... and then they end

Actually, the best part is seeing how little the women can get away with wearing.

58 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Midwestern with the occasional line of palm trees in the background of an exterior shot or rear projection driving scene. 

That’s like Little House on the Prairie which takes place in MN having mountains in the background. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Needs to be another Falcon Crest like show in the Willamette Valley. Don't think you could sell a show from Dallas, Oregon.

Making movies in Oregon goes back to 1909.

The Fisherman's Bride (1909)

Dallas is in the Willamette Valley. Nobody wants a soap opera in Dallas. That’s about 20 mins west of Salem. Dallas is even more boring than Salem. 

Portland or Eugene would have the best drama I think. Eugene isn’t really a very picturesque city though. 

Maybe a beach city like Gold Beach on the S. Coast by CA. It’s not particularly a fancy city, but it sounds fancy. 

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Dallas is in the Willamette Valley. Nobody wants a soap opera in Dallas. That’s about 20 mins west of Salem. Dallas is even more boring than Salem. 

I know that. Been there. Just a little humor from an Oregon fan.

I like to think of this thread as a spin-off of the Blue Denim thread. 

Is it true that soap operas got their name from being sponsored by soap companies back when they were on the radio? Or is that an urban legend?

I always thought they were sponsored by soap companies-Proctor & Gamble presents____

When I moved to Australia in the early 80's, while I was marveling over their unique accents, they all said I sounded like the charactors on DALLAS! I had never watched the show, but assumed they spoke with southern drawls, unlike my NY whine.

13 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I always thought they were sponsored by soap companies-Proctor & Gamble presents____

When I moved to Australia in the early 80's, while I was marveling over their unique accents, they all said I sounded like the charactors on DALLAS! I had never watched the show, but assumed they spoke with southern drawls, unlike my NY whine.

That’s what I thought! Thanks!

i was complemented on my accent by someone from Texas. I’m not sure what a Pacific NW accent is, but I’ll go with it. I’ve also been asked if I’m from Wisconsin. Which is a big no. I’m a native Oregonian. My parents are from Minnesota though. Maybe i have a combo Minnesota/Pacific NW accent? 

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That’s what I thought! Thanks!

i was complemented on my accent by someone from Texas. I’m not sure what a Pacific NW accent is, but I’ll go with it. I’ve also been asked if I’m from Wisconsin. Which is a big no. I’m a native Oregonian. My parents are from Minnesota though. Maybe i have a combo Minnesota/Pacific NW accent? 

Do you say "You betcha!" or "Don'tcha know!" a lot?

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Do you say "You betcha!" or "Don'tcha know!" a lot?

No I don’t. Neither myself nor my parents are from Fargo. That’s in North Dakota! 

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

No I don’t. Neither myself nor my parents are from Fargo. That’s in North Dakota! 

Most of Fargo takes place in Minnesota (Minneapolis and Brainerd). I was being facetious with you, really, but a friend of mine was married to a girl from Minneapolis, and while she had little to no accent herself, her parents sounded like they just stepped out of Fargo

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Most of Fargo takes place in Minnesota (Minneapolis and Brainerd). I was being facetious with you, really, but a friend of mine was married to a girl from Minneapolis, and while she had little to no accent herself, her parents sounded like they just stepped out of Fargo

Lol. I have been to Minneapolis and Brainerd. 

Neither of my parents have the Fargo/Minnesota accent. They’ve lived in Oregon since 1982 though, so maybe they lost it. 

Update...HE LIVES!

Victor Newman

on-young-and-restless-rumors-turns-out-t

Yeah like everything else that's fake, news, documentaries, now death.

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

That’s like Little House on the Prairie which takes place in MN having mountains in the background. 

Yeah, LITTLE HOUSE is SO obviously shot in Ventura County, CA. There’s no mistaking those golden fields of dry straw.

• Like 1

Do you guys remember when you be watching one of your soaps and some strange person would wander into the living room and you would be like “Harpo who dis woman?” and then all of a sudden the voice of God would come down and say “the role of Paulina Cory is now being played by Judy Evans”...?

I kind of wish that would happen in real life sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

then all of a sudden the voice of God would come down and say “the role of Paulina Cory is now being played by Judy Evans”...?

How about in 1968 when Joan Crawford stepped in for her 24 year old daughter Christina's role on SECRET STORM? Must have been surreal.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

How about in 1968 when Joan Crawford stepped in for her 24 year old daughter Christina's role on SECRET STORM? Must have been surreal.

"Due to an illness, the role of JOAN BORMAN KANE will temporarily be played by PENNYWISE THE CLOWN..."

• Haha 1

...it would also be funny if THE MAGIC DISEMBODIED VOICE were brutally honest about why the role was being recast- 

"due to an out-of-control diet pill problem, the role of REGATTA CHANDLER will temporarily- WE HOPE- be played by the niece of the headwriter, who clearly has never touched a diet pill in her life..."

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Midwestern with the occasional line of palm trees in the background of an exterior shot or rear projection driving scene. 

LOL!

I was actually "on the loose" in the NBC BURBANK STUDIOS one day and I TRIED LIKE HELL to find the DAYS set. Couldn't though. The set-up is LABRYNTHINE.

(I did find "Salem Place"- which was their exterior town square set.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Do you guys remember when you be watching one of your soaps and some strange person would wander into the living room and you would be like “Harpo who dis woman?” and then all of a sudden the voice of God would come down and say “the role of Paulina Cory is now being played by Judy Evans”...?

I kind of wish that would happen in real life sometimes.

They did that on Dark Shadows sometimes, but over the credits. I don't know why as the person was listed in the credits!

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wish I could've seen that! But I was never a soap watcher when young.